Malakithe

'Competitive' Ironjawz

778 posts in this topic

The rule of one in matched play will dictate the list build for optimised magic so if your going down the mono ironjaws route then you need 3 weirdnobs 1 for foot one for puke and a arcane bolt. Foot and puke are both tasty to cast plus the range of puke is so random you probably want both of those guys in a weirdfist so 2x weirdfist plus extra Weirdnob is 1640 but gives you 120 wounds of ardboyz scoring units aplenty and some decent magic artillery plus leaves room for 10 brutes/6 goregruntas to clip out the max 2000pts

however I'd argue if you are going for the magic damage route why not take:

orruk great shaman, weirdnob, savage Orruk shaman, butcher (with cauldron) and a moonclan shaman. That's 5 damage based spells some very decently cast values too, then a meat shield of Ogors (who can be healed or buffed by the butchers cauldron) and as many spear chuckas as you can fit in (I don't have all the points annoyingly can't wait to see the book!) 4 of those spells can splash extra damage plus the spear chuckas give you the range to snipe off stuff outside of your spell kill zones. Destruction is well placed to do magic attack armies, death for example only has 4 damage based spells and these are on Nagash, Arkhan, manfred and a vamp on zombie dragon (good luck getting those in one list!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

The rule of one in matched play will dictate the list build for optimised magic so if your going down the mono ironjaws route then you need 3 weirdnobs 1 for foot one for puke and a arcane bolt. Foot and puke are both tasty to cast plus the range of puke is so random you probably want both of those guys in a weirdfist so 2x weirdfist plus extra Weirdnob is 1640 but gives you 120 wounds of ardboyz scoring units aplenty and some decent magic artillery plus leaves room for 10 brutes/6 goregruntas to clip out the max 2000pts

however I'd argue if you are going for the magic damage route why not take:

orruk great shaman, weirdnob, savage Orruk shaman, butcher (with cauldron) and a moonclan shaman. That's 5 damage based spells some very decently cast values too, then a meat shield of Ogors (who can be healed or buffed by the butchers cauldron) and as many spear chuckas as you can fit in (I don't have all the points annoyingly can't wait to see the book!) 4 of those spells can splash extra damage plus the spear chuckas give you the range to snipe off stuff outside of your spell kill zones. Destruction is well placed to do magic attack armies, death for example only has 4 damage based spells and these are on Nagash, Arkhan, manfred and a vamp on zombie dragon (good luck getting those in one list!

Now that's a man who knows his Destruction!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that sounds good. But the 'leader' limit stops that. Gordrakk plus 2 wierdnobs is 3 right there. How many leaders can be taken for a 2k game?

I was thinking the artillery shaman would be the wierdfist one and the 2nd would be for mystic shield or maybe finishing off a wounded hero. Depending on what the coming unique spells there are I might add in another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did a quick count and I'll have room for a unit of 10 with the 2" weapons and a foot megaboss. Sweeeeeeet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I would say that sounds good. But the 'leader' limit stops that. Gordrakk plus 2 wierdnobs is 3 right there. How many leaders can be taken for a 2k game?

1-6 :)

Some great info flowing in here now! I was also thinking of ditching the Weirdnob...even though I have 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Just did a quick count and I'll have room for a unit of 10 with the 2" weapons and a foot megaboss. Sweeeeeeet

As discussed above this is definitely a nice unit. Presumably you'll have a Warchanter in there as well?

19 minutes ago, Dez said:

1-6 :)

Some great info flowing in here now! I was also thinking of ditching the Weirdnob...even though I have 2.

Do you find there is a tendency to try and cast foot more often than you probably should? I think that's almost definitely the reason why I don't feel I get enough out of mine. That said it's pretty tasty when it comes off!! I think if you can be a bit more reserved with him it's probably quite nice getting off Mystic Shield so easily and reliably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The think with spells in matched is you can only do one spell attempt per turn, not wizard so yiu would need to have them doing different stuff anyway. Thats why the wierdfist shaman is the nuker and other is the gap filler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh god I'm already starting to consider buying 2 boxes of brutes right now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

Oh god I'm already starting to consider buying 2 boxes of brutes right now 

I got 6 boxes lol built 3 as two choppas. Next 10 will be with 2h weps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has really ramped up since the gh teasers appeared 😜 I'm curious to note what people would suggest for the best supporting destruction units? I'm not really a mono kind of guy, right now I'm thinking it can't hurt to utilise some boar boyz of both varieties. Or use of moonclan for ranged?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been playing around with the idea of doing a "Looted Gargant" with plates of armour painted to match my ironjawz and a green stuff boss claw.  So need to look into what would be strong battleline and still sit well with me thematically. I really don't like the old orc models.  Maybe wait and see what changes come to the Ogres and Bonesplitters this year. 

I won't have 2k points for a while anyway so I can wait it out. And for the summer campaign at gw stores, it is just 5 warscrolls. At least 1 hero, 3 units and at least 1 monster. Had a look at the pack tonight when I was there. So I will just run my 5 brutes, 3 gruntas, warchanter, megaboss and gargant, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as supporting goes my first plan before all this battline mono stuff was to toss in a thundertusk or two. 

Only 5 warscrolls? Any other limits? Gordrakk, a small wierdfist of shaman + 3 units of 10 brutes is 5 right? Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well ******...so the normal brutes with the 2h are all good but there is no boss option for one...whhhyyyyy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Well ******...so the normal brutes with the 2h are all good but there is no boss option for one...whhhyyyyy

I'm confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

I'm confused.

I think the other poster means his unit leader cannot have a jagged gore hacka and this disappoints?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yarrickson said:

I think the other poster means his unit leader cannot have a jagged gore hacka and this disappoints?

Makes sense to me, the claw and basha is better anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just wanting something that matches the unit but yeah the klaw+basha is better state wise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeh you defo wanna max out on both special weapon options available to the unit. Add some extra punch to the unit(s).

The only thing I've used outside of Ironjawz faction so far is a Magma Dragon, which looks pretty gross on paper. I've had mixed success with him in  game though, mostly down to the Battleplans I've played though I would say.

As I've mentioned elsewhere (maybe in this thread), I definitely like the idea of adding some Ogor elements, most notably the Tusk/Horn. Will put this on hold now until we get the Beastclaw battletome. Downside to this now is that I will need to look at adding some Battleline units. I need to refresh myself with the options available to Destruction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a lot of success with ironjawz plus an orc warboss with a banner so they can reroll ones to wound. Since we dont have any specific traits yet for pure ironjawz i think that is a good option to add and make the units a lot more punchy. My brutes are usually in units of 10 with 2 handed weapons since with the reach they can still swing being behind another brute. The 2 hand weapons just isn't very efficient in bigger units for that reason and small units just seem to melt to any kind of decent shooting or magic. Big fast moving blocks is really the best way to run the army since we have to have an option to alpha strike since our choices are very limited and susceptible to being outmaneuvered.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: If planning for a unit of 10 brutes, if one buys 2 boxes, is it okay to have 2 brute boss models within that 10 model unit? Can both of the boss models use the rules for the boss weapon models?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also curious on the exact wording, as far as I know you combine the war scrolls but I'm not sure how that applies to upgrades in particular the Boss. One would assume due to the war scroll entry it's one per combined unit...so you'd only be able to take one. I hope the wording allows for two units to be combined with all of the minimum unit upgrades i.e. 2 bosses in a unit of 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm...I would assume it's one boss per unit no matter how big. Is there any unit in the game that alows for more then one leader type in a unit? Special weapons sure but probably not on bosses. 

I'm going to assemble the next 5 to my 10 unit when I get home and I was just going to make one boss for all of it. 2 gore-hackas thou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that makes sense Mal, but combining Warscrolls to create bigger units is a new mechanic and I'm curious how that's worded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dez said:

Yeah that makes sense Mal, but combining Warscrolls to create bigger units is a new mechanic and I'm curious how that's worded.

Wait what...is that from the GH?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A unit of 5 with a boss included is 180 points. A unit of 10 is 360. Don't see why you wouldn't be allowed 2 bosses seeing as you pay the points for it. Need an FAQ for this maybe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now