Where to start?

Rayvn

I have a few questions about Age of Sigmar. Mainly where do I start? I have played Warhammer Fantasy numerous times but stopped in 8th edition because nobody was playing. Now I have a few armies, mostly models given to me and some that I've bought. I have a large collection of Warriors of Chaos I think about 50+ Warriors, 50+ Marauders, sprinkling  of Chaos Knights and Horsemen, The old Archaon a Lord on Manticore and a couple of Sorcerers, 6 Dragon Ogres (the old metal ones) and a Shaggoth. I also have one or two sets of the High Elves from Isle of Blood, I really like the look of them and a small skirmish sized force of Ogres with a Butcher.

Now I realize I have a few options here, mainly with the chaos dudes, and that'd be great but everything is on the square bases and don't the sizes of the rounds they need to be on.  And the Elves are a good start as well, again same issues, not to mention everything I have is in dire need of repainting. But as I'm basically (re)starting a new game and what drew me to the fantasy setting years ago was the Undead armies. Now everything has a new name, finding my models is almost impossible on the GW website, seems they all belong to some factions or something. So I don't know what to do or where to start.  I haven't bought anything for this new edition yet and I'm kinda looking for a little guidance in that area. A friend of mine plays every so often and has told me a couple of things, mostly game mechanics and what have you. I'm the sort of player that likes to start off with an army that most people aren't playing, in my area. Currently there's nobody playing AoS at my FLGS so the army choice is really up to me. I like the chaos army for the armor saves and get to grips style but they lack ranged support, elves have ranged and some nice stuff but feel a little soft to me, ogres are HUGE but the army is so small, and then there's the undead.

So any suggestions will be helpful. I'm not a big tournament player, I play mostly for fun and for the painting of the models. Thank you in advance.

If you are played by friendly then  don't worry about bases, you can transfer them over for competitions.

The rules of AoS are free so you can get them but the real detail is in the warscrolls and how they interact. Learning how your units synergies is important. You will spend much of your first games referring to rules.

Therefore, I suggest using skirmish or path to glory supplements to get used to the rules and your units. Both use the core free rules and are cheap to get, £6 and £20, respectively.

As they are low model/unit you can chop and choose to try things out plus the games are quick  It seems like you would have models for at least 3 armies there.

You will need warscrolls for units, these are in the gw website as part of of the info for each model. OOP models may have rules in the compendia, you can find these by searching gw site. A good alternative may be to get the grand alliance book, each are £15 and have all warscrolls. Note the scrolls can be downloaded for free and some may be out of date.

Finally I would suggest checking out the alliance sub forums here. There is lots of helpful advice there.

Really finally, I love the slaves and would go with those. They are very versatile as you can keep them undivided or align with a specific god which opens up a lot of fun.

I've been looking at the Start Collecting sets and some of the Army sets, the Icewind Assault box looks really appealing because I own nothing in that set and it should really bolster my current Ogor force. Also been looking at the Khone Bloodborn boxes, them new chaos dudes look hellishly epic, of the four gods Khorne is my buddy nothing like ripping the face off your opponent and handing it back to him before he dies. 

So Path to Glory and/or Skirmish the free rules, is the rule book not needed? Don't get me wrong I'm all about saving $75. Grand Alliance books, I'm guessing Chaos and Destruction? Do I need any of the Battletomes? But on to the bases, Warriors are on 32mm and Marauders 25mm or are they both the same? Ogors are on 40 or 50mm?

Yeah to start with, just the core rules and warscrolls. These are free. After that get skirmish rules and or path to glory, both are standalone and do not require the generals handbook.

If the bug bites and you want to do more matched play style games then get GHB and any relevant battletomes. 

2 hours ago, Rayvn said:

But on to the bases, Warriors are on 32mm and Marauders 25mm or are they both the same? Ogors are on 40 or 50mm?

Warriors and Marauders both should be on 32mm rounds (as they were both 25mm squares). Regular Ogors look fine on 40mm, but Heroes look better on 50mm rounds.

Last question. I've been looking through the sub forums and noticed lists with point limits but when I look at the Warscrolls I don't see any points values, am I looking at the wrong stuff or are points for Matched Play so only in certain books?

6 minutes ago, Rayvn said:

Last question. I've been looking through the sub forums and noticed lists with point limits but when I look at the Warscrolls I don't see any points values, am I looking at the wrong stuff or are points for Matched Play so only in certain books?

You need the General's Handbook for points. It's updated annually and the points for some things changed in the 2017 release.

15 minutes ago, WarbossKurgan said:

Warriors and Marauders both should be on 32mm rounds (as they were both 25mm squares). Regular Ogors look fine on 40mm, but Heroes look better on 50mm rounds.

Marauders are on 25mm Rounds, as per the re-boxing of the unit. 

You definitely want the 2017 Generals Handbook if you plan on playing structured games. Depending on your army, you might want to pick up a battletome. Sylvaneth, Ironjawz, Beastclaw Raiders, Stormcast, Blades of Khorne, Disciples of Tzeentch, and Overlords all contain special army rules, magic artifacts, spell lores, formations, etc, that you will not find anywhere else. The other battletomes were made before this was the norm and only contain some battalions. Those can mostly be skipped.

As far as rebasing goes, ask your local groups. Around where I play, even for competitions, the rule is "whatever they came with when you bought them". Other places will require rounds. Some areas do play model to model. Many models have not yet been repacked and have no official round base size, and there can be disagreement on what bases those models should have. There are a handful of models (mostly demon infantry) that have been repacked twice in the past 2 years (and even appear on both base sizes in their respective books). If you want to stick to current bases, keep that in mind.

19 hours ago, Rayvn said:

Also been looking at the Khone Bloodborn boxes, them new chaos dudes look hellishly epic, of the four gods Khorne is my buddy nothing like ripping the face off your opponent and handing it back to him before he dies. 

Similarly, if you like Khorne, the Starter Set is also great value for money even if you don't want the Stormcast units, which you could sell. It has some unique models in too for a Mortal Khorne army, so it really is a good place to "start".

13 minutes ago, Rayvn said:

Great feedback everyone, thank you very much. I think some repainting is in order now or just painting as most of the dudes are just primed.

My quick advice, is to download the app, get some rules and play some simple games to get the feel for the system.  Then pick a grand alliance and get the Generals Handbook and the Grand Alliance book. Then if a sub-faction appeals get that book.  I know all the 90% of the rules in the Grand Alliance Book are present in the App, but I find it easier to work from. 

Most AOS army's work out to be faily small. So its easy to collect many forces. (Unless your like me who cannot decided on a list so just kinda gets a random collection of stuff!)

Also the GW site still has the compendiums that talk about how to understand units name changes. If you need it. 

2 minutes ago, Rayvn said:

Where is this app? Yesterday they had warscroll pdf downloads but those are gone now.

The App can be found:  http://www.warhammerdigital.com/Home/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-the-app.html The app itself is free there is a subscription for the army builder. 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-Rules < Age of Sigmar Compendiums units.. Though it doesn't list all the rules for every unit. 

Archived