Sylvaneth wyldwoods

Smileym89

Hi Sylvaneth players,

How many citadel woods do you take with you to tournaments? I have 5 at the moment but just wondering if I should invest in more? Usually i get about 5 out during a game but I'm curious to see everyones opinions.

I have four and I very rarely want for more. There are odd times that I wish I had a fifth having said that, but most of the time I place two bases as my "free" wood at the start. Then, in my first turn, I chuck out Acorn of the ages in my backfield and get another one either from verdant blessing or the TLA's ability somewhere in the middle of the board. Once they're down I usually find I have most parts of the board I want to get to covered. By the time turn 2 rolls around, I find there are too many models and bits of scenery in awkward places, meaning I would struggle to place any more, even if I had the woods available to do so.

Most tournaments go on the basis of ten pieces of terrain. Once that's all down on the table, it can become quite tricky to place woods anywhere and certainly becomes really difficult to create 3 base woods. Because of that, I never create woods that are more than two bases - I'd rather have more woods in more places than big woods in fewer places.

Looking forward to seeing other points of view on this thread though.

Lol. I am an Ironjawz player too! Just starting to put them together after running Sylvaneth for over a year now. From the opponent's perspective, the woods are far less scary when you know their weaknesses and limitations. Personally, I'll be trying to put my Megaboss right in the middle of a wood to prevent anything and everything emerging from it :D

Its not things emerging. We are happy to have our enemies emerge nearer to us, it saves us having to run so far. What we don't like is all the mortal wounds we take when standing in a wood.

Sylvaneth are one of the worst match ups for ironjawz, because they can just stand in their woods and wait for us to come to them, and then when they do, they cast spells that heal themselves and cause mortal wounds to us at the same time. 

I have four and usually feel I'm missing out on 2-3 more (bases, that is). At a minimum I need one more so that I can go 2+2+1, that would more or less cover the basics. Free wood + Acorn + either treelord or Verdant something- spell. Sometimes that's all I can fit on the table but usually I could have had use of 2-3 more bases. Then, there´s the slight issue of transporting all the woods + the army. Doesn't really help that I've glued all the leaves on to the trees...

Thank you for all your responses!
I've got about 5 bases currently, but I've only played on relatively empty boards. As I'm getting into more competitive play I just wanted to make sure i purchased enough woods

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Smileym89 said:

Thank you for all your responses!
I've got about 5 bases currently, but I've only played on relatively empty boards. As I'm getting into more competitive play I just wanted to make sure i purchased enough woods

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As you get more into competitive play you will find that you need less woods, as your opponents will ensure there is as little space to place them on the board as possible. When setting up a scenery I would hope to be able to limit my opponent to 2 wildwoods in total (2+2 or hopefully 2+1). 

23 hours ago, KnightFire said:

Its not things emerging. We are happy to have our enemies emerge nearer to us, it saves us having to run so far. What we don't like is all the mortal wounds we take when standing in a wood.

Sylvaneth are one of the worst match ups for ironjawz, because they can just stand in their woods and wait for us to come to them, and then when they do, they cast spells that heal themselves and cause mortal wounds to us at the same time. 

sylvaneths are a big middle finger to all full melee army anyway

I have 9 Woods so far, and still want more. If you're journeying into more competitive games then use as many as you can. Who needs friends, anyway?

Seriously though, on a 4x6 table you should be able to fit at least 7 wood templates, giving you access to teleport all over. Give your Treelord Ancient the Verdant Blessing Deepwood Spell and Ranu's Lamentiri, that way you're setting up Wyldwoods with +2 to your casting roll of 6. 

I cut the wyldwood outline out of a mousemat battlemat so I have plenty (I got 16 out of a 3 x 3 mat and I play local and local tourneys accept it) and I use about 4-7 depending on terrain.  After that I can usually only put them in irrelevant places so I don't bother.

On 6/14/2017 at 0:29 PM, Aezeal said:

I cut the wyldwood outline out of a mousemat battlemat so I have plenty (I got 16 out of a 3 x 3 mat and I play local and local tourneys accept it) and I use about 4-7 depending on terrain.  After that I can usually only put them in irrelevant places so I don't bother.

You better have some origami trees on there! Lol.
I had cut out templates as well from thick cardstock before I purchased all my genuine Citadel Woods.  

There's something quite satisfying about covering the board in physical forest templates and watching your opponent remember in horror that his models cannot pass through the actual trees on the woods base.

3 hours ago, RotCleaver said:

You better have some origami trees on there! Lol.
I had cut out templates as well from thick cardstock before I purchased all my genuine Citadel Woods.  

There's something quite satisfying about covering the board in physical forest templates and watching your opponent remember in horror that his models cannot pass through the actual trees on the woods base.

Well my shop plays all trees as removable. And transporting even my single real GW forest ( a single base that is) is hell.. can't imagine transporting 6-9.. I'd need more boxes than I could easily carry.

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Well my shop plays all trees as removable. And transporting even my single real GW forest ( a single base that is) is hell.. can't imagine transporting 6-9.. I'd need more boxes than I could easily carry.

I totally agree. Transporting them is a big problem and makes me only want to bring templates but I know some people don't like that. I think it's because they don't like the rules but who knows.

On 6/20/2017 at 5:01 PM, Aezeal said:

Transporting them is definitely a pain, and yes the trees are removable to fit models onto the woods bases easily but you still cannot have models pass through the spaces where the trees are located. It's a feature of the woods abilities and part of why it's such a bane to your opponents other than the ability to deal out Mortal Wounds.

I've magnetized the trees to my bases to make transport easier as well. 

2 minutes ago, RotCleaver said:

Transporting them is definitely a pain, and yes the trees are removable to fit models onto the woods bases easily but you still cannot have models pass through the spaces where the trees are located. It's a feature of the woods abilities and part of why it's such a bane to your opponents other than the ability to deal out Mortal Wounds.

I've magnetized the trees to my bases to make transport easier as well. 

I know it the general consensus  here.. But it's not how my shop plays it.

On 6/21/2017 at 0:42 AM, Oppenheimer said:

I totally agree. Transporting them is a big problem and makes me only want to bring templates but I know some people don't like that. I think it's because they don't like the rules but who knows.

Personally I don't like it because how the battlefield looks is 60% of my game enjoyment (which is why I also don't like there being unpainted minis on the battlefield). I have never stopped my opponent doing it, but do grumble about it to them sometimes.

18 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Means my treemen can move through the forests too though.. 

A Treelord's base fits between the two larger gaps between the trees, regular movement should not be hindered. When I say "fits between the trees" I am not including the branches of the tree models...only the circular areas on the base where the trees sit. Those are the designated areas that modes may not pass through. Hence why I have magnetized my trees so they can be easily removed when moving models into or through the wyldwood base. 

Also, the Treelord, Treelord Ancient and Spirit of Durthu can teleport through the wyldwoods without worry about getting stuck. Even if you roll a 1 for the Navigate Realmroots ability, it is treated as "Safe passage".  Use this ability regularly throughout the game for more movement advantage.

3 minutes ago, Mordeus said:

Do sylvaneth pay points for any of those woods apart from the the first free ones? Does it count as invocation?

When you have Sylvaneth Allegiance in your army the Wyldwoods do not have a point cost. They also do not count as summoning. 

Ok cool! Also what are the rules regarding placement, apart from the distance from other decors? My friends sometimes places them balancing on top of hill, its sides sticking out, or sitting weirdly not flat.

The woods templates have to be placed at least 1" away from other terrain features.

Archived