Let's Chat:The Varanguard

TheArborealWalrus

15 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Collector's edition was nice though lol nice pictures and book  

Oh certainly, the art is great, the narrative is a lot to continue up upon. Hope that GW will redo the Battletome somewhere in the future. Like BoK it would be a relatively easy task.

Cheers,

• 5 months later...

I have a question about the Varanguard, Archaon's command ability, and the command abilities of a couple of other models.

Lets say I have an army which includes the following:

Archaon

Harbinger of Decay

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut

Gaunt Summoner on disk

3  Varanguard

3  Varanguard

3  Varanguard

Does this work...?

Archaon grants the Varanguard the Khorne mark at the beginning of his first turn.

On the turn that we are ready to charge:

1.  Use Archaon's command ability, Warlord Without Equal.  Lord of Khorne selects 3 Varanguard as the target of Blood Stampede.  The Harbinger of Decay uses Morbid Vigor.

2.  Archaon uses Archaon's Command (Varanguard Warscroll) to bestow the mark of Nurgle on the Varanguard.

So, carefully reading the Blood Stampede it seems that the Varanguard can be picked when the command ability is used, due to their Mark of Khorne... and for the rest of the turn they get the benefit of it...  I don't see any reason they would lose that when their Mark changes to Nurgle.    By staying within 7" of the Harbinger, they (and Archaon) would get an extra 5+ to avoid wounds.

Am I wrong?  I noticed this when I was going to make a fun army that had a hero with each mark (matching Dorghar's heads).

I only ran my varanguard  once in a slaanesh  list with Baby Archie. They tangled with a dread saurian and were mashed into a fine pulp for their efforts. After that they 'broke up the band' and went on to successful careers as Chaos Lords on Daemonic Mounts. One went  on to serve the cult of change with his fancy paradoxical shield, one went on to serve as the third general of a pretenders host while the last one sits in my cabinet. Not sure if he's gonna go Khorne or Nurgle.

Archived