Soul's Slow intro plog: 31/08/17 - Back again!

Soulsmith

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

Haha surreeeee ;) Yours was superb, I honestly expected it to be between you and the magmadroth! I look forward to seeing what you do in three weeks, Kurnous hunters?

Not Kurnoths yet - am still building them (one more to go after this evening's session). And I'm doing the objective markers.

I've got another unit of dryads to get painted so I'm gonna enter them.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And thank you [mention=756]Soulsmith[/mention]I'm genuinely not that confident in my painting ability yet. Sometimes effects just fall into place and I have no idea how I did them! I do thing the basing, which I find really easy, has a massive impact on the miniature.

Not a problem, you have a really natural scheme to your sylvaneth that is really cohesive. And your basing is fantastic, I love the way you've put grass/flock over the downed log to make it aged and grown over. Certainly wouldn't be surprised if you take a win at some point. What do you have planned for objective markers?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Just now, Soulsmith said:

Not a problem, you have a really natural scheme to your sylvaneth that is really cohesive. And your basing is fantastic, I love the way you've put grass/flock over the downed log to make it aged and grown over. Certainly wouldn't be surprised if you take a win at some point. What do you have planned for objective markers?

Haha - yeah, that log was a complete fluke; I put the wrong basing material down. Ended up liking it better than the original plan!

The objective markers are pretty much my basing scheme gone wild! I've been experimenting with rocks as well as tree stumps and logs. Tried to think about what tree spirits would consider as important theings to defend. Oh, and I have a sword part-way through being grown out of the ground!

How about you? What's your plan for next round?

Sounds cool, bet you've got plenty bits and sprites you could use. I plan on using spare glyphs Tom gave me from his ork bitz, and probably build piles around them of other parts. But one will be a mini diorama using the spare tower from the arachnarok howdah. Since it isn't used in the shaman variant, it will make a neat little watch tower. I'm going to put the goblin on too of it who is struggling with a baby arachanrok on him, and put another two from the sprue climbing up to get some goblin lunch.

Hey, Just followed your profile here after our conversation in the 1k thread. Model looked great, well done on your win.

@Nick in York yours too is fantastic, good to have the competition in one city!

I'm also York based but haven't been in GW in years (well maybe the odd peek) was going to head down this week to ask about AoS demo and maybe pick up the box, good to know there are some great painters in the local area to aspire to. Maybe see you around. 

11 hours ago, Lardidar said:

I'm also York based but haven't been in GW in years (well maybe the odd peek) was going to head down this week to ask about AoS demo and maybe pick up the box, good to know there are some great painters in the local area to aspire to. Maybe see you around. 

Do it! The staff in York are ace guys, and the AoS scene here is I would say just as large as 40K so it's easy to get games.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick little update. So along with a unit, this part of the legions of legend also has a bonus challenge of six objective markers. So here I have whipped up five quick ones today, as well as a watch tower mini diorama I'm working on using arachnarok parts. I'm glad I finally got to use the resin parts from the basing kit, they're generally too large for miniature bases I find.

f009cd9fc9afa129708079cfc26ce146.jpgf2997d74f68c38b6b0ce18d39d635116.jpg

Awesome! Great idea for markers and the watchtower should look great when it's done. I agree with comments on the basing kit, they generally seem to need at least a 40mm base to have any chance of fitting without modification! Glad they are getting used here.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks, yeah they are a little bit of a hassle, most needed greenstuffing to form a nice join with the base. With basing material on it should look fine though. Fortunately a staffer at GW York allowed me to raid his 40K bitz box so I got a good handful of glyphs and gubbinz. The watchtower is going to have the forest goblin from the arachnarok wrestling with a spider on his face on the main platform. The lower one will have the snotling from the old plastic night gobbos fighting off a small spider from the arachnarok kit, and a larger one will be approaching on the base. The lower platform also has one underneath it already. Took a good amount of GS to get the tower to work with a base, the ends of the sticks are weirdly angled to fit the arachnarok's carapace.

Howdy y'all! Been a while since I have posted here but I won't repeat my brutes anymore! Just thought I would give an update. Competition deadline is the weekend but I am working so it's Friday. Spider is very nearly finished, goblins the skin is done (so basically finished since they're near nude) and then it's just howdah and the shaman might get rushed/leave off shrine for the competition.

Got a lot of cleaning up to do on the spider, quite a bit of chipping has occurred from handling and I just wish the guy I got it off hadn't glued the legs on! The fangs are very subtly highlighted in green as are the eyes, and I still need to edge highlight certain parts in a reddy orange. The photos don't show the blending too well, but it's looking quite nice. Who knows how it'll look with the howdah on!

58b480818c310_SpiderFaceWiP.jpg.6dc33c25cdedb75da5472942a948d960.jpg58b48087010a5_SpidersideWiP.jpg.aa515f9351ab7ed73da5c55e7ee398f1.jpg58b4808b5f44d_SpiderWiP.jpg.ab65a5ad010c444cecc7b262af8c5359.jpg

Thanks guys [emoji2] ardcoat on the eyes really helped get the right effect, the fangs will have the ends coated in nurgle's rot so will have similar gloss. Going to have to crack on with the base soon, going to be playing around with a small pool of water, to explain why there is the bit of tree.

Hello again! Small update, as I have started a new job and am pretty tired out, though I'll be roaming around checking threads soon enough! Last weekend was judging for the arachnarok, and blimey I went and did a win again! Super happy, it's the icing on the cake since the spider is one of my bucket list models. I'll grab more photos when I next head to the store but here is one from their FB page:
17191701_1251262161618921_1440725775114993954_o.jpg.45def4579c1af1c770f30351dda6011f.jpg

I am generally pleased with it, I had to rein myself in at point to hit the deadline (such as missing shaman and shrine) but all in all it looks pretty nice I think :) Very happy with the base too.

Hello again! Small update, as I have started a new job and am pretty tired out, though I'll be roaming around checking threads soon enough! Last weekend was judging for the arachnarok, and blimey I went and did a win again! Super happy, it's the icing on the cake since the spider is one of my bucket list models. I'll grab more photos when I next head to the store but here is one from their FB page:
17191701_1251262161618921_1440725775114993954_o.jpg.45def4579c1af1c770f30351dda6011f.jpg
I am generally pleased with it, I had to rein myself in at point to hit the deadline (such as missing shaman and shrine) but all in all it looks pretty nice I think [emoji4] Very happy with the base too.

Definitely done yourself proud on a very difficult to paint model. The eyes and underbelly are very well done in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy all, small update. Final push to get the boar boyz done. In all honesty, they've been rather boring and painting to a deadline has been tough as life got busy. Been going a bit wild with free hand though. Today is the last day of painting before the deadline and I just spent an hour on the coral snake. Oh well, it's funky! Also check out the cheeky warpaint [emoji6]
3c337ed90af43d38276dc4e4a6070793.jpg0bb5c4006713cbe0662866ad37c4568f.jpg

Archived