Red headsmen khorne

Valamanathrax

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been discussed. 

Red Headsmen battalion? 

All the fluff a side. Is it worth running? Has anyone else played it with any decent success.

I also wanted to know if the blood warriors get the 'alter if skulls' ability straight away.. or does the skullgrinder actually have to slay a hero/monster to kick it all off?? 

Thanks. 

On 29/05/2017 at 2:42 PM, Valamanathrax said:

All the fluff a side. Is it worth running? Has anyone else played it with any decent success.

As a MTG player, i had a heart attack when i saw this bataillon. You are basically paying to give your opponent a direct, significative and unconditionnal bonus on his most powerful models and gives you nothing in return (UNLESS you manage to kill one of them with thoses very specific troops).

Sure you are gonna get those bonus sooner or later, but it will be too late.

I like the idea and effect of this Battalion. You can pick up to 3 so just picking 1-2 Support Heroes can make the Battalion interesting.

The downside and reason why I dont play it comes the cost of the Battalion and the additional required Asp Champ. 

If you want to hero or monster hunting Skulltake does it much better and cooler in my opinion. In addition the Skullfiend Tribe is a fatastic upgrade for that aswell.

That beeing said, we have a recent sucess with the list in the hands of our dear Pano Kyprianidis with Red Headsmens in Sheffield Slaughter (with the pre-blades of Khorne Battletome.)

Here is the list just in case.

9th out of 72 (quite good!)

Mighty Lord of Khorne 140 - Chaos talisman + Dark avenger-text-effect-03.jpg

2X bloodsecrator 240

Grinder 80

Aspiring Deathbringer 80

Bloodstoker 80

3X10 bloodwarriors 600

10 Bloodreavers 60!

2X5 Skullreapers 280

2X5 Wrathmongers 360

Red headsman 60

Still valid with the recent recosting of the Reavers.

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2017 at 2:42 PM, Valamanathrax said:

I also wanted to know if the blood warriors get the 'alter if skulls' ability straight away.. or does the skullgrinder actually have to slay a hero/monster to kick it all off?? 

Thanks. 

I have same my question.
Skullgrinder's ability says "Altar of Skulls: If a HERO or MONSTER is slain by the Skullgrinder's Brazen Anvil, the Skullgrinder and all MORTAL KHORNE units within 8" are blood-blessed for the rest of the battle.

Red Headsmen's ability says "Ritual Slaughter: Red Headsmen always count as being within range of their Skullgrinder's Altar of Skulls ability. In additional, if the Skullgrinder slays a worthy foe (see above), the range of his Altar of Skull ability is doubled.

What I interpret is that Skullgrinder has to slay a hero or monster to active Altar of Skulls so all Blood Warriors, Aspiring Deathbringers and itself Skullgrinder in the battalion get that effect but others Mortal Khornes will get the effect if they are within 8" (or 16" if slays a worthy foe) of Skullgrinder.

In my bad English I've sometimes interpreted that all in the battalion already got the Altar of Skulls as what Ritual Slaughter said "..always count as being within range of their Skullgrinder's Altar of Skulls ability." But I guess I'm wrong and above might is right.

Kind regards
Fredrik

Archived