The General in Skirmish - Switchable?

In a campaign, do you think you can pick a different general later on or are you stuck with your initial choice? 

Lots of cool heroes need to be saved up for and would be better generals than what you can afford in the initial 25 reknown.

My understanding is you can't. There's nothing that states you can switch your General, and since your models cannot die or be removed from your roster, I would expect you're stuck with it.

I would guess from GW's perspective, that if people want to play with the 28 renown costing heroes, that they will agree amongst their group to start playing their campaigns at higher renown levels (say 35 or 40 instead), or they can be used in one-off games (Such as tournaments) where the renown limit is likely higher.

In a related note,  if you play Destruction in the campaign, your two possible options for your required general are the grot shaman and the orruk warchanter.  That's it.

The shaman in the destruction warband box is actually illegal for the campaign, to say nothing of the orruk war boss dude. 

Seems weird to add a war boss who has to follow the orders of ... a grot.

Maybe he's a very 'pious' warboss who wants to do mork's (gork's?) bidding? It does say 'we recommend' and 'we suggest' in reference to 25 renown being the starting point for campaign in the book so I don't think you could say that shaman is 'illegal' exactly. If there are players who want to play destruction then hopefully your group can agree to start a little higher to give destruction some more options. Merely going up five points to 30 would open up legal warbands for the Savage Big Boss, Weirdnob Shaman, and the massive Megaboss. I think a Megaboss and his two incompetent grot sidekicks could be a cool start to a campaign. Just about anything in skirmish that gets in range of dat boss choppa is gonna get shredded!

3 hours ago, awcamawn said:

think a Megaboss and his two incompetent grot sidekicks could be a cool start to a campaign. Just about anything in skirmish that gets in range of dat boss choppa is gonna get shredded!

Especially the first game. The Megaboss running around trying to kill half the enemy warband on his own. The Grots running away because the moment they both die you will have lost. xD

Archived