Plague drones, are they worth the pts?

underdog6750

Just looking to find out if plague drones are worth there points. We are doing a slow grow league at my local club.I'm playing Nurgle daemons, although would potentially add some more mortal units if needs be (I already use blight kings)

I cant decide if they are worth there cost? Or is there something that can do what they do cheaper and/or better. But my army lacks anything that can move quickly and hit hard.

Thanks in advance

Just looking to find out if plague drones are worth there points. We are doing a slow grow league at my local club.I'm playing Nurgle daemons, although would potentially add some more mortal units if needs be (I already use blight kings)
I cant decide if they are worth there cost? Or is there something that can do what they do cheaper and/or better. But my army lacks anything that can move quickly and hit hard.

Thanks in advance

As you point out, nurgle doesn't have a lot that moves fast or hits hard. Plague drones by themselves still don't hit all that hard. You absolutely need a deamon hero near them to cause any real damage (I use a prince). You also need to buff them somehow. I use Lord of War and Demonic Power (Sorcerer Lord spell). This is all really only effective if you have a decent sized unit. I run 6). At that point, there are a ton of points spent, but they are hard hitting and fairly resilient.

Is it worth all that? I don't know, but I love the look and what other choice do we have?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

People that use Nurgle competitively seem to use the nurgle forces as an anvil/tarpit and other chaos forces as the hammer. Sayl is great for mobility. He's not nurgle but comes from a mostly nurgle army so doesn't offend my sensabilities :).

I usually use Morbidex who hits pretty hard and moves well. I mostly use him as a distraction though. I also love the model.

I also hope a nurgle book will bring some other possibilities or make current ones better. Plague drones at 160 pts would be great, especially if there are some new nurgle abilities.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

a cheap way to buff them is put 3 plague priests behind them casting the Wither prayer. It's +1 to wound against a unit for an entire round of combat, and it stacks because it's a prayer. You can also use the Priests plague tome to get re-rolls to wound  once per game against a unit. So with a Deamon hero of Nurgle nearby you can get them doing mortal wounds on a 3+ with re-rolls to wound. That turns them into a nasty little pain train. but its cheesey as, and I expect the stack with prayers will be outlawed or subject to rule of 1 when the next GHB drops.

Belakor and a unit of 6 drones is pretty nasty. Almost 700 points for the pair but man that would be fun.

also if your going nurgle demons I would aim for a solid tallyband before supplementing with mortals. Glotkin being the exception because his spell and command ability both kick ass with demons. Has less impact on mortals.. ironicly

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Belakor and a unit of 6 drones is pretty nasty. Almost 700 points for the pair but man that would be fun.

also if your going nurgle demons I would aim for a solid tallyband before supplementing with mortals. Glotkin being the exception because his spell and command ability both kick ass with demons. Has less impact on mortals.. ironicly

Just a note that Belakor can't be marked.

Archived