Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/28/2017 at 10:00 AM, Nico said:

This is an exaggeration. They are still very strong as an army. They just aren't tabling the opponent by the end of Battleround two strong any more. Reading Gary Percival's accounts of his list it felt like 60% of games were (a) completely one sided to the point that it was inevitable who would win; and (b) left the opponent doing little other than take off models.

In the longer term the lack of credible 30/40 blocks will hurt in terms of scoring objectives, but same story for Stormcast.

I will say from my previous use of a drop sky list with the one massive Endrinrigger +3 kemist stacking, that I diden't feel there was anyone who stood a chance.  I'd one round Nagash, stonehorn lords, half an ironjaws army, or whatever tzeentch thing I dident like the look of.  This happened in every game I played.  Punching wounds enough to kill a unit of 6 bloodcrushers to the man in one round of combat was not a fun experience for my opponents.

Just for the fun of it, we rolled out the full numbers on a game vs Nagash I played, and with all the rerolls, I smashed him for over 35 wounds at -2.

Not pretending we diden't take a hit, but I think I could settle for splitting my squad and doing it in waves now.  I've got a list with 30 balloon boys now that I'm super excited to run in the new meta.

I had been planning to start KO as my first jump into AoS since launch and figured a new book would be the perfect time to actually get it done. So these nerfs don't really bother me as much. The list I'd crafted was based around Zilfin shenanigans so I'm not too hurt over the changes. This is basically what I want to do:

Aetherkhemist-general(Prospector/Earbuster)

x3 Arkanaut Company 10(Light Skyhook x3)

Ironclad(Skycannon/Aethermatic Endrins)

x2 Frigates(Skycannon)

Thunderers 10(Aethershot x8, Aethercannon x2)

Endrinriggers 3(No Weapon Upgrades)

Iron Sky Squadron Batallion

Khemist, Riggers, Thunderers, and one Company are in the dropping Ironclad, and the other two Companies with the Frigates deploy normally. At 2000pts before I had all aethercannons on the thunderers, and enough points left to have an Admiral as the general. Other than those nerfs it still seems playable. Maybe it'd be better to spam riggers and wardens out of the ironclad though with this new change. 

17 hours ago, GlanceOnASix said:

Not pretending we diden't take a hit, but I think I could settle for splitting my squad and doing it in waves now.  I've got a list with 30 balloon boys now that I'm super excited to run in the new meta.

Would you mind sharing your loadout and strategy?  Are you using multiple ships, no ships, or one ship?  Sounds like a fun list so I'm curious how you plan to use it!

@FractalRain  Hope I don't disappoint but my recent list is back to only 27 Balloons :)

Urbaz

2 Kemists (One with Loupe, One with Earburster) General has fleetmaster

1 Frigate w/Prudency Chutes

3x10 Arknaughts 3xSkyhooks

3x9 Engrinriggers w/ 2x Graps in each

What I've been doing is Deploying in the boat to cut the drops down to 3.  I can redeploy the boat wherever, and at least at my local scene, with battalions going up a bit, I'm one of the lowest deployment numbers I've been seeing.  

Either way, I've been playing a little conservative, letting them come on, and then jumping up, trying to focus all the fire on one or two units, and then harpooning into a value target.  Since I have the 3 combat squads, I have a few waves of hitting.  It's done me well in the few practice matches I've had, have a bigger tourny at the end of the month I'm looking forward to to get 5 games in a weekend.

The bit I'm loving the most, is I feel like I have threat reach to anywhere.  Like one game was a Nagash/Neferata list where there was going to be an 'ignore rend' Nagash running around.  So turn one, (even on the battle of the pass long-ways map) I was able to get riggers back to his far table edge and catch Neferata before multiple rounds of 'immune to damage' Nagash was around.  Another game, the threat was buffing harpoons and sniping out a khorne banner guy so my army could prompt battleshock tests and scare off half the army due to the massive damage caused by rivet guns on lightly armored units.

Started building up my KO now GHB2017 is here and ive a few tournaments lined up.  While considering skyports its occurred to me that with the changes in scenarios and deployments  the Amendment  "Prosecute wars with all haste"  (run and shoot first turn) can now make a significant impact.  Deployment can now be as close as 18", which is only a 2" run to get the arkanaut pistols in range to add to the skyhooks.  Its got me thinking anyway.

10 hours ago, GlanceOnASix said:

@FractalRain  Hope I don't disappoint but my recent list is back to only 27 Balloons :)

Urbaz

What I've been doing is Deploying in the boat to cut the drops down to 3.  I can redeploy the boat wherever, and at least at my local scene, with battalions going up a bit, I'm one of the lowest deployment numbers I've been seeing.  

Either way, I've been playing a little conservative, letting them come on, and then jumping up, trying to focus all the fire on one or two units, and then harpooning into a value target.  Since I have the 3 combat squads, I have a few waves of hitting.  It's done me well in the few practice matches I've had, have a bigger tourny at the end of the month I'm looking forward to to get 5 games in a weekend.

The bit I'm loving the most, is I feel like I have threat reach to anywhere.  Like one game was a Nagash/Neferata list where there was going to be an 'ignore rend' Nagash running around.  So turn one, (even on the battle of the pass long-ways map) I was able to get riggers back to his far table edge and catch Neferata before multiple rounds of 'immune to damage' Nagash was around.  Another game, the threat was buffing harpoons and sniping out a khorne banner guy so my army could prompt battleshock tests and scare off half the army due to the massive damage caused by rivet guns on lightly armored units.

This is one of my current lists.  I've also been playing around with dropping one of the units of Endrinriggers and buffing one of the Company units up to 40 models.  I think this list is one of the best options we have currently.

10 hours ago, Nico said:

I'm surprised they you're still taking the Loupe after the crushing nerf to it. I suppose it's actually better now on a non-Navigator (making Navigators next to junk for 100 points).

Would you recommend a better artifact?  I get two for Urbaz and the armor's diden't strike me as all that impressive.  It's stopped the odd spell now and again, cant stop nagash, or some lord of change but might save me from the odd arcane shield.

13 hours ago, GlanceOnASix said:

Urbaz

Thanks for sharing!  Very interesting to hear about different lists and I had not seen one this heavy on Endrinriggers yet. :)  Sounds fun!

Hey Guys 

I'm new here and I've found a FLGS near me and I'm looking at starting to play AoS instead of just collecting the miniatures. I played AoS regularly when it first game out with a friend before he moved away but haven't played since any of the tomes came out. I've got some KO already and thinking of the following list, please pass some critique on the list I'm looking at using it at tournemants

Barak Urbaz 2k list

Aether Khemist - Aethersight loupe

Aether Khemist - Aethershock Earbuster

Arkanaut Admiral

3*10 company 3*skyhooks per squad

1 iron clad

1 frigate 

2*6 edinriggers with 1 grapel in each squad

Many thanks in advance 

On 9/6/2017 at 5:37 AM, GlanceOnASix said:

Oof, ive just built 1 unit of 9 Engrinriggers w/ 2x Graps  and already ballooned out, i cant imagine having to build 2 more units O.o.  

This is the list im planning to run (and still building) for a tournament in the near future.

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

• Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
  • Aether-Khemist (140) - General - Trait: Stickler for the Code:There's No Reward Without Risk - Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 
  • Aether-Khemist (140)
  • 10 x Arkanaut Company (120) - 3x Light Skyhooks
  • 20 x Arkanaut Company (240) - 2x Skypikes - 4x Light Skyhooks
  • 20 x Arkanaut Company (240) - 2x Skypikes - 4x Light Skyhooks
  • 9 x Endrinriggers (360) - 2x Grapnel Launchers
  • 6 x Skywardens (200) - 1x Grapnel Launchers
  • Arkanaut Frigate (280) - Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon - Great Endrinworks: Prudency Chutes

Allies

• Knight-Azyros (80)
  • 6 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (200) - 2x Stormsurge Tridents

Total: 2000/2000

17 hours ago, Kelewan said:

Hey Guys 

...please pass some critique on the list I'm looking at using it at tournemants

Barak Urbaz 2k list

I think you have a great starting list.  I think you should play it a few times and you'll see what parts click with you, as you've prolly seen with some list variations you're seeing thrown around some of us go more balloons, some go more Arknaughts but that comes down to your playstyle and what you find effective.  You are using the 'effective' units in our book, now it's just time for you to figure out which ones click for your playstyle.  I'm not seeing a unit with number/equipment that I wouldent take.

4 hours ago, stato said:

Oof, ive just built 1 unit of 9 Engrinriggers w/ 2x Graps  and already ballooned out, i cant imagine having to build 2 more units O.o.  

This is the list im planning to run (and still building) for a tournament in the near future.

Allies

• Knight-Azyros (80)
  • 6 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (200) - 2x Stormsurge Tridents

Well that's not counting the other 15 Skywardens I've got built as well haha.

I'm really curious how the stormcast feel in your list, as I was looking at the same additions (Mind you I was really likeing the idea of an Azyros with the 20 mortar days of two weeks ago, but whatev :) )

I do want to mention on the Skywardens, as you mentioned still building.  I have felt very good about running my Skywardens as MSU units, 1 Srg, 1xMinigun, 1xDrill cannon, and treating them like fast cav from Fantasy, using them to get in the way of charges, plink last wounds off units, charge a corner and try to stall a unit those sort of effects.  But otherwise, when going 'spears out' I enjoyed running the smaller rigger units of 6 and running the wardens as a full 9-12 as they can reach over their bases to get their attacks in.  I've been thinking about things with them like mixed order list and getting them arcane shield and using them as a grinding block, but just wanted to toss in my two cents.

16 minutes ago, GlanceOnASix said:

I'm really curious how the stormcast feel in your list, as I was looking at the same additions (Mind you I was really likeing the idea of an Azyros with the 20 mortar days of two weeks ago, but whatev :) )

I do want to mention on the Skywardens, as you mentioned still building.  I have felt very good about running my Skywardens as MSU units, 1 Srg, 1xMinigun, 1xDrill cannon, and treating them like fast cav from Fantasy, using them to get in the way of charges, plink last wounds off units, charge a corner and try to stall a unit those sort of effects.  But otherwise, when going 'spears out' I enjoyed running the smaller rigger units of 6 and running the wardens as a full 9-12 as they can reach over their bases to get their attacks in.  I've been thinking about things with them like mixed order list and getting them arcane shield and using them as a grinding block, but just wanted to toss in my two cents.

Thanks for the thoughts, ill write a report once ive had a game with this list.  I did consider the Skywarden MSU, and thats what someone else in my club is running, but for how i see using them I wanted combat punch over shooting. Who knows if thats how it will work in reality. The Prosecutors are there to add to the shooting (double damage over 9" range) but also the potential threat of an 18" charge to get into the back field...  really though they were just added as I wanted a bit more variety and I thought it would look cool to have the Azyros with his Prosecutors assisting the Kharadrons (I was totally won over by the little background piece for the Aetherstrike battalion in the KO battletomb :D ). Im still pretty new to gaming and AoS so the 'rule of cool' still wins for me.

Im not sure if I overlooked something, but why are people using more than one grapnel launcher per endrinriggers unit?

Is there hidden usage besides being able to use more than one dice for the 4+ throw? Is that worth losing attacks in the shooting and combat phase?

7 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Im not sure if I overlooked something, but why are people using more than one grapnel launcher per endrinriggers unit?

Is there hidden usage besides being able to use more than one dice for the 4+ throw? Is that worth losing attacks in the shooting and combat phase?

It says a 'An Endrigger/Skywarden with a grapnel... '  so you can use multiples to get multiple attempts.  If it said  'An Endrigger/Skywarden UNIT with a grapnel... ' then that would be different. I dont know what peoples opinion is in using the 2nd grapnel if the first hits, my feeling is its snagged so you couldnt move towards a 2nd target, but its not really written to prevent you using multiples.

Depending on what you want them to do it can certainly be worth having multiples. Units with free roam of the battlefield are very good for grabbing objectives or attacking units your opponent is trying to shield. Im also terrible at rolling what i need on 1 dice, so really I should have 3 in 9! but i think that is too much to lose in attacks.

25 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Stato hit it on the head - running more than 1 let's you get a second chance if the first fails and you REALLY need to get them where they need to go.  Sometimes that is more important than the lost attacks/shooting, especially in a larger unit where all of them can't get into combat anyway. :)

33 minutes ago, stato said:

It says a 'An Endrigger/Skywarden with a grapnel... '  so you can use multiples to get multiple attempts.  If it said  'An Endrigger/Skywarden UNIT with a grapnel... ' then that would be different. I dont know what peoples opinion is in using the 2nd grapnel if the first hits, my feeling is its snagged so you couldnt move towards a 2nd target, but its not really written to prevent you using multiples.

You absolutely can use it multiple times, the complete rule is below:

Grapnel Launcher: An Endrinrigger with a Grapnel Launcher can fire it at the end of their shooting phase, after all other shooting has been resolved. Choose a terrain feature or a unit – friend or foe – with a Wounds characteristic of 10 or more within 24" and roll a dice. On a roll of 4 or more the grapnel has snagged on the target; immediately move this unit of Endrinriggers any distance directly towards the target. They must finish their move more than 3" from enemy models.

The fact that it says 'Immediately move this unit' after rolling 'An' Endrinrigger is saying roll the one, if it's a 4+ then move your unit following the rules.  Then roll another if you have one.

1 hour ago, GlanceOnASix said:

I think you have a great starting list.  I think you should play it a few times and you'll see what parts click with you, as you've prolly seen with some list variations you're seeing thrown around some of us go more balloons, some go more Arknaughts but that comes down to your playstyle and what you find effective.  You are using the 'effective' units in our book, now it's just time for you to figure out which ones click for your playstyle.  I'm not seeing a unit with number/equipment that I wouldent take.

Thanks for you help I'll give it all a whirl then and let you all know how I get on thanks!

Hey all! I'm sure this has been asked many times before but could anyone suggest a good starting point for me with Kharadron? I'm planning on painting them up like pirates, so anything Mhornar based or boat focussed would be a big plus.

I was originally planning on waiting for a start collecting set, but my will is buckling!

1 hour ago, J.J said:

Hey all! I'm sure this has been asked many times before but could anyone suggest a good starting point for me with Kharadron? I'm planning on painting them up like pirates, so anything Mhornar based or boat focussed would be a big plus.

I was originally planning on waiting for a start collecting set, but my will is buckling!

Don't know how piraty you want to be going modeling wise. But I saw some brilliant conversions with simple headswaps from fyreslayers. But can't find it now :S 

Hello all- I had been agonizing about how to spend the last 400 or so points of my WIP Barak-Zilfin, especially with the brutal double nerf to the Khemist. I saw a Facebook post in one of my local groups where a guy was running large blocks of Arkanauts to take advantage of the Khemist buff on 9+ Light Skyhooks. Furthermore, Arkanauts actually put up some of the best numbers in the codex for damage output for their points. As such, here is where I landed with that idea in mind:

Barak-Zilfin

Khemist 140

Khemist 140

x40 Arkanauts with x12 Skyhooks 480

x10 Arkanauts with x3 Volley Gun 120

x10 Arkanauts with x3 Volley Gun 120

Ironclad with Deep-Strike Artifact 440

x12 Endrinriggers with x3 Grapnel Launcher 480

Allies:

Either a Knight Azyros to provide buff or x2 separate Gryph Hounds to surround the 40-man blob and defend against special deployments.

Obviously, the 12 'Riggers drop down and bring the pain with buffed saws. One of the Khemist stays with the 40-man squad to either hold down a crucial objective or push midfield. Buffing the 12 Light Skyhooks is just devastating and the guns have enough range to take advantage of it fully.

I feel the best artifact for the army would be an Earbuster on the Ironclad Khemist- to punish hordes that I focus fire, but that 10" range makes that not seem viable. The Ocular Staff seems like an easier pick, because you could shoot with the Khemist first then. 

I'm also a bit stuck on which command trait to take. The extra footnote seems to offer the most, but it's so random.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had any luck with large squads of Arkanauts?

Also, a WIP pic!

WIP Ironclad.jpg

Archived