The Plog of a Seasoned Procrastinator

EvDJ

I've have been in this hobby for a while now (I remember trying to paint a five man box of tea-tray handed Space Marines at an age when painting inside the lines was still a challenge), and have always been undisciplined in both completion and painting ability. Therefore this plog, (i'm old enough that 'plog' will always make me think of a freaky puppet spitting on the lens of a camera, if you don't understand what I'm talking about count yourself lucky), is an attempt a both maintaining a half decent painting pace and to act as an incentive to improve my painting.  I've never completed an 'army,' I put 'army' in inverted comma's because i've also never played any of GW's games, the closest i've come is recreating the classic arena of death with 40K characters with a friend of mine in Bugman's over a pint while I was still a student about 15 years ago (if your interested the C'Tan Nightbringer won hands down every time). So for me at the moment an 'army' is purely a collection of models that I think look cool and have been painted in a cohesive style.

I hadn't painted for a while, and when I say while I means years, although I have kept up with GW's goings on and the fluff of both 40K and WFB. I moved to london at the time AoS launched, and at the time also discovered the Heelanhammer podcast. The move to London, the launch of AoS, the boundless enthusiasm of Dan and Wayne, and a sudden plethora of free time, sparked the dormant collecting gene which is woven into the DNA of any model enthusiast. So I decided to pick up a paint brush and reacquaint myself with GW's ever growing range of paints and hobby products, I also picked up the AoS starter set to have a stab a painting myself some Stormcast. 

large.IMG_5100.JPG.4d68e576e2324930fcf01d705c003341.JPG.a87ae1369d99c044087771fe9a461840.JPG

My job is not particularly creative, involving a large number of spreadsheets and emails, so when I began painting this chap I remembered just how much I enjoy the creative part of the hobby, and while this model won't win me any awards I was happy with the results. 

But like any hobbiest the lure of new and shiner plastics is an ever present call, and I found myself abandoning the Stormcast for my one true love, those evil little 'B*****ds who used to have massive hats and a penchant for big angry cows, Chaos Dwarfs. In one madness induced evening, deprived of sleep, and spaced out watching too many episodes of Voltron I ordered pretty much 1 of every Chaos Dwarf model from Forgeworld. 

So after what I assuming most people have decided is far to lengthy an intro what follows is the first thousand points of painted CD's, I also have to make a decision, do I continue and finishing painting the CD models I have left (about another 1000pts), a 1000pts of Skaven, or Beastmen. I've decided a 1000pts at a time is enough to not scare me off and keep me enthusiastic about each project while I'm doing it. 

So please feel free to comment, give me ideas, feedback. The point of all of this, lost amidst the ramblings, is to keep me motivated and to slowly improve my painting skill.

I've added the units in order that i've painting this first batch.

58f29b17180d9_CommandUnit.jpg.f39b8299411f672a98beafd07191583b.jpg

Fireglaives.jpg.58606f5847f9a88338881a2810e5b120.jpg

I actually went back and repainted the command unit and the unit of fireglaives after painting the Irondaemon because they didn't quite fit with style that seemed to organically develop as i painted, there was also a 4-5 month gap between starting the Irondaemon and finishing it as I lost the will to live painting the spurs on the wheels.

58f29b2190844_IronDaemon.jpg.937ed2e86e66c63ce6c6f462fa45478e.jpg

58f29b1490904_BullCentaurRenders.jpg.f93028d8b99c2fc3ec5479422334359b.jpg

Strangely i didn't actually like the Bull Centaur or K'daai models when I bought them and only fell in love with them when I started painting them.

Ironsworn.jpg.362b0b74c383a8b022152aa60900a96f.jpg

I'm still not entirely sure about the K'daai's paint job, but I was happy enough with it to call it a day.

Kdaai.jpg.6e1cfdd08d8a14ba24fdb3a71da28e29.jpg

Deathshrieker.jpg.65055beccebca6930358641233b44f8d.jpg

Daemonsmith.jpg.cbb187b262586f7d555f94dfc3e57ca5.jpg

I think the daemonsmith may have been my fav model to paint. Anyway thanks if you've made it this far, as i said please feel free to feed back, give advice, comment...and I promise the next post won't contain quite so many words.

Ta, Ev

EvDJ it sounds like you and I have a very similar approach to this hobby.

That's a good looking Stormcast, but your chaos dwarfs look great on those industrial/toxic wasteland bases!  I vote that you keep on truckin' with the chaos dwarfs, unless you're feeling burned out.  A 2000 point army has always been a goal I've managed to fall short on.  You planning on tying the shaven and beast men in with this army, or will they be stand alone forces?

13 hours ago, Uruk_Guy said:

EvDJ it sounds like you and I have a very similar approach to this hobby.

That's a good looking Stormcast, but your chaos dwarfs look great on those industrial/toxic wasteland bases!  I vote that you keep on truckin' with the chaos dwarfs, unless you're feeling burned out.  A 2000 point army has always been a goal I've managed to fall short on.  You planning on tying the shaven and beast men in with this army, or will they be stand alone forces?

Cheers, i feel like I should finish the dwarfs, my hesitation comes in the form of having to paint drazhoath. I'd really like to have a bit more practice painting skin before I tackle the big fella. And yep planning on tying the Skaven and beastmen into the dwarfs, I would like to expand the chaos side of things a 1000 points at a time. Will probably aim for slightly different basing on the separate factions but keep some key reference points to tie them all together. 

Ah I get you about the skin.  What are you planning to put in the beastman army?  Maybe some bullgors or a ghorgon might make for good practice, though I think something along the lines of your bull centaurs would look good too.

16 hours ago, Uruk_Guy said:

Ah I get you about the skin.  What are you planning to put in the beastman army?  Maybe some bullgors or a ghorgon might make for good practice, though I think something along the lines of your bull centaurs would look good too.

Going to work my way up the size scale. I currently have a unit of Gors, a unit of Centagors, some Bullgors and a Doombull, and a Ghorgon. I will probably pick up some Ungor's, Bestigor's, and a Great Bray-Shaman as well.

Right, so after my stated intention to start painting a 1000pts of Beastmen i’m now painting Skaven instead. I started painting the Beastmen, starting on a box of Gors and it turns out I really hate painting Beastmen. Not sure why, but part way through I felt like enacting my very own Foot of Gork on the wretched things. So they went into the bits box and I picked up Be’lakor to assuage the rage, and I’ve been meaning to paint him for ages. Had to do some green stuff on him, at which point my impatience got the better of me while I was waiting for it to dry and I cracked open the Spire of Dawn box and had a stab at painting a Clanrat, which I really enjoyed. The models in the SoD are beauts and the Clanrat is a great mix of skin, metal and fabric, so good to practice the painting skills on.

Here's the first test model.

C-HC6d9XoAEgkPo.jpg-large.jpeg.96383f6f046f004785b2e8a9bf95b929.jpeg

Fairly happy with how it turned out. Repainted the cowl a couple of times as I wasn’t happy with the original green choice so that parts not a smooth as I would like, and i’m still getting a handle on painting skin, but hopefully after 40 Clanrats and a couple of Rat Ogres I’ll feel more confident in that area. And obviously just need to decide on the basing. I want to do something that ties it into the Chaos Dwarfs so it wouldn’t look out of place in a mixed army, think rats walking along pipes at the moment but will have an experiment and play around with that.

As ever any comment, crit, or advice please lob it my way.

Ta. Ev

Another great looking miniature you've got here!  My only critique is that the metals are a bit clean looking, especially compared to the awesome rust work you've done on the evil stunties.  It'd help tie in with the chaos dwarves and it'd fit with the skaven "look" if you weather his weapons the same way.  Good luck on the next 39!

On 4/24/2017 at 1:04 AM, Uruk_Guy said:

Another great looking miniature you've got here!  My only critique is that the metals are a bit clean looking, especially compared to the awesome rust work you've done on the evil stunties.  It'd help tie in with the chaos dwarves and it'd fit with the skaven "look" if you weather his weapons the same way.  Good luck on the next 39!

I think you're about it looking a little too clean, when I put it next to one of the CD's it doesn't quite work. Will dirty it up with the base. Cheers.

I second the chaos dwarfs but then again I would.

I like the bases, it's nice to see bases that aren't flat carried through an entire army.

As far as Drazoath goes, never be scared of big models because what they give you, once you get past the size is room to play. The cindrebreath is a very simple model and if you can paint the daemonsmith to the standard you have, then drazoath himself will be no different. :)

Cheers for the comment/feedback.

I've loved putting the Chaos Dwarf army together, they are such great models, and really happy with the look of the army. Heading up to Nottingham over the weekend so might have to pick up a couple of reinforcements, still don't own Shartor, so thinking he might be on the cards.

Did a bit of dirtying on the Skaven, and it does work better next to the Dwarfs.

C-SQTvrXsAAKAad.jpg.2119a10f3b25383c1955ed5d4991312c.jpg       C-SRsjvXgAEKOOl.jpg.e655b45e57e4e1e1b57ad7fac3f43e56.jpg

I've also got most of the 1000pts of the Skaven already, but need to pick up a couple of bits, and being a bit of a FW fanboy I love the Skaven Warlord on Broodhorror, so might have to add it to the pile.

I'm really enjoying your work, the rust look is working really well on the Chaos Dwarfs and making the skaven match was a good idea.

One of the beautiful things about AoS is that you don't have to stick to the old ideas of collecting armies as separate entities, and that it's a lot of fun mixing things up. I get bored painting multiples of the same model, or the same colour scheme, so it's been a godsend for me.

I look forward to seeing more.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I've taken a break from painting the Chaos Dwarfs I find myself unable to settle on one project it seems, still not complaining. I painted the Skaven model while waiting for the green stuffing i'd done on Be'lakor to dry, so thought it about time I added some paint. 

C_Atjf0XsAAK8yP.jpg.8c12cd812bd1ccc82e470320964ef387.jpg

I've said before that i've love this model, and genuinely think that its a far better looking daemon prince than the more recent ones. One of the noticeable things though is that the old models have so much less definition on them that the newer ones, which makes the newer models so much easier to make look good. Still thinking its coming along nicely and liking the choice of colours, planning on making it much darker though with a heavy coating of shades.

Got sidetracked once again while waiting for something to dry and so started working on a chaos ogre bodyguard for an outcast chaos dwarf daemonsith for an AoS28 war band. I love the forgeworld chaos renegade ogryn and think the aesthetic fits well with AoS28 and looks like he could have been a labourer in a chaos dwarf mine.

C_F612ZXYAExtbh.jpg.7d8f2069346b16b0ebf9727ac4155530.jpg

Just need to work out what to do with the daemonsmith next, and what other monsters he's drawn to his side. Enjoying playing around with different bits and different ideas.

Archived