On the subject of Swifthawk Agents, Eldritch Council, and other things Aelven

Atomicaphex

Hi, 

I need some advice and hopefully others will find this thread useful as well. Please note that I try to stick to the "old" groupings of the armies, but within the new framework. Does that make sense? 

I got the following collection of aelves:

• 40 Swordmasters 
  • 40 Spireguard
  • 20 Reavers
  • 2 Archmages
  • 2 High Wardens
  • 1 Frostheart Phoenix with Anointed

So I have a solid core of troops that I could use in three different ways:

1. A "pure" force of Eldritch Council. If I added a couple of dragons and a Loremaster, then I should be able to field a 2000 points army. It would consist of very few types of models, but i absolutely love Swordmasters - so that is ok. 
  2. A "pure" force of Swifthawk Agents. I would need to add a Skywarden, 10 Shadow Warriors, and a Chariot, then I could field a 2000 points army. It would be shooty, fast, and characterful (and unlike my other planned armies).
  3. A "High Elves" army with the Order allegiance. Not completely unlike the one I had many years ago when I played WFB. It would be cool. Lots of big hats. I would be able to include the Flamespyre Phoenix that I have my eyes on, and maybe some of the other elements mentioned above. 

So here is my question. Are these options viable? I like to win, but I like a good fun game even more. But winning have to be an option. I will be meeting a lot of Stormcast, Skaven, and Sylvaneth as my usual opponent is investing in those armies.

Any thoughts on how best to proceed from here is more than welcome. Since I have several other projects brewing, I would prefer to use as little money as possible, but I also want to make sure that I have a playable Aelves force. What do you think, what did you do, and how did it go? 

B|

20 minutes ago, chord said:

Why not swifthawks using the battalion from the spire of dawn. It will let you use swordmasters and archmage by granting them the swifthawks keyword.  

Yes, that is an option. Only Azyr does not allow it. You do not get the option to pick the Archmage and the Swordmasters. I have already posted the question in the rules section. 

1 hour ago, Atomicaphex said:

Yes, that is an option. Only Azyr does not allow it. You do not get the option to pick the Archmage and the Swordmasters. I have already posted the question in the rules section. 

I don't really see the relevance of Azyr... there are rules and there are formations which allow it.. who cares about the rest.

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

I don't really see the relevance of Azyr... there are rules and there are formations which allow it.. who cares about the rest.

Agreed, GW is way behind on the tech front. If they want they can talk to me, I'm a data engineer.

Even though the Swifthawk batallion is an option,  I personally like the Eldritch Council approach.

Reminds me of the only good part about the Storm of Chaos finale,  when Teclis and his 300 Swordmasters waded into a swarm of Daemons.  They were chopping up Daemons and protecting Teclis while he prepared the auto-win spell of doom...then denonated it, leaving just him and a handful of Swordmasters standing.

The 17 year old kid I was back then loved it.

The man I am now would scoff at the convenient writing...but would still love it.

Archived