Most fun-to-play armies

kcjling

I've decided to take a break from Death and move onto another army. I'm really interested to hear what the community thinks is (or are) the most fun-to-play armies and why?

I've always loved the orcs & goblins. In particular it was the doom diver catapult and fanatic models that drew me in. A good combination of kooky, random and dangerous squig 'pets'. 

Well.

What its your favorite playstile?

Some people prefer a more defensive/gunline style of play. Others prefer a more meele aproach, rushing towards his enemys to smack them in the face. 

Others prefer fragile armys that need carefully maneuverability in the battle.

If we don't know what you consider "funny" we can't help you!

If you like running toward your enemy with an armored horde crushing everything in your way then Ironjawz might be fun!

And if you like Dinosaurs ripping their enemies apart while behind them a lot of little Lizard guys are shooting tons of bolts from their blowpipes while flying dinosaurs swoop down behind enemy lines, then Seraphon might be fun!

EDIT: I also think Skaven might be fun. Haven't played them but they seem to be rather unique concerning play style. That could be fun to try.

I have found that building an army around a formation is a good way to differentiate between play styles. Ive recently had fun with a Dark Feast of 60 bloodreavers running at stuff and overpowering them through weight of numbers, but have also just tried a Sigmarine Hammerstrike Force for the first time and a powerful alpha strike is fun too (tho they got owned in the end by buffed Blightkings and Bile Trolls).

With Bloodbound Ive nearly got the models for a Brass Stampede which will operate in a completely different way to the Dark Feast (still love a Bloodsecrator tho!) and for Sigmarines Ill give a Devastation Brotherhood of Paladins a go soon which should be fun!

Short version, pick what you like the look of (from the factions with battletomes at least) and then find a formation that fits how you want to fight!

I don't think he is really looking for help picking his army, rather, just what are some stories or qualities of armies that we individually like.

For example:

I like Monsters, so any army that lets me play with 2+ monsters and it not be a gimmick strategy is something I lean towards. Marching foottroops is fine, but I prefer huge creatures that deal like 6+ damage a turn. It helps that they're often fast or flying.

Another quality I like in armies is versatility. Unfortunately I sortof had to drop that feature with Death at the moment, in favor of other things. But I found Seraphon and Stormcast worked quite well in that regard(versatility). They both had offensive or defensive battleline choices. Melee vs. ranged options in multiple categories. Fast, flying, fragile units vs. slow and tanky units. Few different spellcasters in Seraphon, and both armies have choices for the magic alternative, Prayers. Also, both armies had cavalry, and some options for monsters/monstrous cavalry!

I also think the idea of maxing out on heroes in a very offensive army like Skaven/Bloodbound seems neat. They get the ability to whip certain units and give them special abilities. From my understanding, whipping stacks if you hve multiple heroes that can do that. Gives you options to play with, and I'm all for that.

Sylvaneth is really the only army that produces terrain. It's extremely unique, even if it's a bit one sided (i.e. no counterplay, other then positioning).

IronJawz is a bit limited in versatility, which makes it seem linear. (Thinking like an aggro deck in a card game, vs. a mid-range deck, i.e. Stormcast or something versatile.) However, IronJawz are so fast and aggressive, it just feels cool, regardless of which side you're on, watching them charge you from across the board on turn 2. The destruction grand alliance is basically the aggro deck of Warhammer (at least in my opinion).

Shooting wise, it's hard to deny the fun of, well at least the first round of shooting from a Skaven standpoint. So many of the guns don't even need to hit. They automatically hit and wound somehow. It's a pretty unique feeling to just point at things and tell your opponent "take that model off" "don't i get my armor save? Why did you only roll once?" At least the flavor feels right, like you're zapping your enemies with raw lightning and radiation.

Summoning is also a thing, it technically adds diversity, but I just found it unfun to reserve points when shooting is so prevalent in this game. Your wizards can just die so easily without any survivability mechanics.

This is an obviously subjective decision. For me, the appeal starts with the visual look of the army and then the sorts of "stories" I can tell with them... Playstyle is a tertiary concern. Whether or not I win with them doesn't really enter into it.

This is why Bretonnia was my first love (all the way back in 1991). They looked amazing, they had a lot of appeal for the medievalist/romanticism/aurthian in me, and it certainly didn't hurt that they were a lot of fun to play. I didn't win much, but I always had fun.

When 8th Edition debuted and caught fire at my FLGS, I started out with the Tomb Kings. I loved their look, I think they have one of the coolest backgrounds in the Old World, and they were easy to paint too! On the other hand, despite winning with them far more often than I lost (a rare thing for me) I found them incredibly boring to actually play... So I sold them off.

I'm thoroughly enjoying my Skaven at the moment. Love the aesthetic and the models, and it's great being able to compete in every phase. Want shooting? Skryre. Magic? Masterclan. Movement shenanigans? Eshin. Although admittedly the battleshock phase is less ideal... I also enjoy painting them which definitely helps! But they are totally full of character and fun if played in the right spirit.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

What could be more fun than playing a Sylvaneth army? You literally get to pound your enemy to death with trees and vines. And when they try to run away, you sprout another forest in their path! Even being near the forest filled with Spite Revenants is enough to break an army's spirit and cause them to flee. Think you can bring torches and axes to the fight? Drycha is crazy enough to charge your army and take out everyone, including herself! Seriously, what could be more fun than that?

15 hours ago, kcjling said:

A good combination of kooky, random and dangerous squig 'pets'. 

I feel the same about my skaven :D Also helps it is my only 'horde' army so it challenges me with a different playstyle. 

I love the war machines that offer the choice of massive damage but if you roll a 1.... Can't tell you how many games I've played in which on turn one my guns blew itself up, my warlocks hurting myself and my shooting phase being a complete bust. But it's all worth it when the next game my 60 pt warpfire thrower dishes out 6 mortal wounds two turns in a row xD

So for fun and unpredictable go Skaven or the little green guys ;)

On 3/25/2017 at 8:15 AM, Double Misfire said:

Dwarfs with four warmachines that don't need line of sight and 30 double shooting, -3 rend Quarrellers. Wicked fun to play with, 10/10 opponent reactions every time + never have to play against the same list twice because nobody wants to play you a second time.

Would say there is a lot of "play" to this army?

Or is it more like pointing at the enemy's models and rolling dice for a few turns in a row?

41 minutes ago, Bradifer said:

Would say there is a lot of "play" to this army?

Or is it more like pointing at the enemy's models and rolling dice for a few turns in a row?

I've never taken the 30 Quarrellers on account of being a lazy painter, but re:the warmamachines: Stuff moves so quickly in Age of Sigmar and artillery crew are so easy to kill that you have a pretty strained time blocking off your warmachines and making sure they're always out of range of enemy missile troops, while making sure you concentrate fire on the most threatening enemy units and simultaneously competing for objectives with the rest of your army, that will be a lot smaller than your opponent's front line stuff. Not that any of this is noticeable to 90% of opponents, who will still accuse you of cheesing it up with point and click.

Archived