New age of sigmar starter set painting question

I saw a GW rep (I forget his name) being interviewed at GAMA. He was showing a new starter box set similar to the original AOS starter box.  This one comes with  colored sprues, red for Khorne and gold for Stormcasts. He said that they could be painted with a wash and no base coat, right out of the box. Is that true? Are the colored sprues paintable without a primer coat like reaper minis are? I know this was an actual GW rep, but I still find it hard to believe...

All miniatures can be painted without a base coat. Just don't expect the paint to stick for long periods of time...

I'm sure he said that because GAMA its a show to boardgames so its basically to say "people don't need to paint them to make them look good. A wash and done"

Washing models its something that MAYBE boardgames will be willing to do. Paint them? I don't think so.

Unlikely.  Based on what we saw in the Blood Bowl boxed set, they'll just use colored plastic.  Again, that's their way of making these games more accessible to boardgamers who are not interested in the painting side of the hobby.

Expect snap-fit models too, while we're on the subject.

Archived