I'd love input on this, it's my first shot at a 2000 point list:

General
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon: 440pts
-Ruler of the Night, Tomb Blade

Coven Throne: 260pts

Vampire Lord: 140pts

x3 5 man Blood Knights: 780 battleline

380 points for summoning

Please rip this to pieces, it's a first try and I don't own any models yet. Also, some questions. Should I give the Lord on Dragon a deathlance or sword? Would my regular Vampire Lord be more useful with wings or a nightmare? Are there any particular things you find most useful as summons? I thought maybe zombies since they can combine units, a cairn wraith as a cheap hero summon for objectives, maybe some spirit hosts or hexwraiths?

Also just to be sure, I can go Soulblight for Blood Knight battleline and still be Allegiance Death? I thought it was not so until I started reading soulblight army lists which all appear to have it.

Think its a Good list summon some bats if you play vs a Heavy shooting army Else morgast to get some Nice rend if you play vs heavy armour guys. I really love the spirts host 6 of them and a shield buff is really really tanky i never ran the throne my self but ben wondering about how it do so let me know how it goes if you play the list

On Wednesday, March 01, 2017 at 3:25 AM, Nightgaunt said:

Also just to be sure, I can go Soulblight for Blood Knight battleline and still be Allegiance Death? I thought it was not so until I started reading soulblight army lists which all appear to have it.

Pretty sure that you can't claim Death allegiance abilities and items and also claim Soulblight allegiance. It's one of the major disadvantages of not having a battletome. I've seen FEC lists fall foul of this because they took a Crypt Infernal General and FEC allegiance to get Flayers as battle line. End result was they couldn't take Death allegiance goodies.

Its can be a soulblight army and use the death item and alli bonus its the same ppl that play beastclary raiders do and iron jaw for that matter the want the normal bonus and items but use the battleline from the battletome 

One thing I'm really noticing people keep forgetting; what you summon needs to be listed at least once in your lists, otherwise, your wizards do not know the spell.  Just keep that in mind; if you dont jot down what you plan to summon for at least one unit on there, you won't be summoning anything.

2 hours ago, Ennio Mordini said:

Pretty sure that you can't claim Death allegiance abilities and items and also claim Soulblight allegiance. It's one of the major disadvantages of not having a battletome. I've seen FEC lists fall foul of this because they took a Crypt Infernal General and FEC allegiance to get Flayers as battle line. End result was they couldn't take Death allegiance goodies.

Nope - you can choose allegiance abilities from your grand alliance or your faction allegiance. From the generals handbook FAQ

IMG_5254.PNG.bbb3d45a05ad4749280cf49e38e4bf37.PNG

1 hour ago, Count von Count said:

One thing I'm really noticing people keep forgetting; what you summon needs to be listed at least once in your lists, otherwise, your wizards do not know the spell.  Just keep that in mind; if you dont jot down what you plan to summon for at least one unit on there, you won't be summoning anything.

Why would this be the case? One of the risk-reward calculations in summoning is that you can summon whatever you require given the points restrictions.

The warscrolls say 'DEATH WIZARDS know the spell'

In practice it will be the case that your opponent knows what your pool of models consists of unless you hide them in some sort of top hat

21 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

Why would this be the case? One of the risk-reward calculations in summoning is that you can summon whatever you require given the points restrictions.

In practice it will be the case that your opponent knows what your pool of models consists of unless you hide them in some sort of top hat

another great reason to always wear a top hat #tophathammer

I think with a Tomb Blade and Red Fury, the Deathlance is often better.

You look at the VLoZD and it's 440 points. That thing, especially with Red Fury, is going to annihilate almost everything it charges into, so the guaranteed 3 damage on charge from Vampire's Death Lance is often better than slightly statistically better sword, because the reliability of deathlance damage means you can into a horde of battleline units (ArdBoys, Dryads, Pink Horrors, etc) and reliably deal 3-6-9 damage and then heal a buttload because of the lance (always use it first if you need to heal vs. small units.

I had a Tzeentch player mortal wound my VLoZD down to 1 health left, and I charged a unit of pink horrors, with Red Fury/Tomb Blade/Death Lance, then healed back to full.

Thanks for the input, everyone. The folks at my local store were nice enough to let me run quite a few battles using proxy models to see how I liked things. I'm no good at actual battle reports but I did learn a bit from the experience, and I had a couple veterans who gave me great suggestions as I gave it a test run. I expected to be summoning offensive things, but found the utility of setting up potential threats or units to choke up areas. I made mistakes, but learned from them, and I think the whole summoning side will be fun to master. And of course the vampires were all brutal. Overall, I'm happy, it fits the dark Bretonnia theme I wanted.

Now I need to start work converting some Blood Knights. Also thanks for the lance suggestion Bradifer. It makes sense and I was leaning towards it just because it looks cooler :P

On 3/4/2017 at 7:44 AM, TerrorPenguin said:

Having the warscroll is what grants the spell.  I may be mistaken, but I've been under the impression that you need to have that warscroll as part of your army to use the rules off of it.  Otherwise, why doesn't everyone carry around every warscroll to get the tidbit rules contained in a lot of them without paying points?

Wasn't that in the FAQ? They confirmed that all appropriate wizards know all appropriate summoning spells regardless of whether that warscroll appears in your actual army list or not. I thought the same as you at first but I seem to remember an official response being what I just mentioned.

13 minutes ago, Count von Count said:

Having the warscroll is what grants the spell.  I may be mistaken, but I've been under the impression that you need to have that warscroll as part of your army to use the rules off of it.  Otherwise, why doesn't everyone carry around every warscroll to get the tidbit rules contained in a lot of them without paying points?

No

6 minutes ago, swiftmus said:

Wasn't that in the FAQ? They confirmed that all appropriate wizards know all appropriate summoning spells regardless of whether that warscroll appears in your actual army list or not. I thought the same as you at first but I seem to remember an official response being what I just mentioned.

Yes

☺️

19 minutes ago, Count von Count said:

Good news! You don't need to - which is good!

I think some events have made it a condition that you have to specify what's in your summoning pool - I certainly seem to think one in the US has had some sort of restriction like this on summoning - but in pure GHB, no there is no need to have the warscroll present to summon the unit. 

To be fair this was a big controversy a year ago before the FAQ. Mainly because we didnt know how to deal with summoning so we tried to read in all restrictions we could into the rules. GH fixed it (and maybe went to far according to some).

Archived