New to Death

WightPrince

Hey there guys,

I am new to Age of Sigmar, and wargaming in general. The Death alliance is the one that currently has my interest the most. However, I do have a couple of questions. If I were to start into Death, what should I buy? Should I buy the Start Collecting sets? Or should I buy a couple of boxes of units and go from there? 

On another hand of the hobby, painting makes me really nervous. Can you guys give me a run down of painting undead and painting miniatures in general? Are there certain paints that I should keep a good stock of? What is the process of painting?

Thank you to everyone in advance!

Welcome to the undead side of things!

Starting Death, you really can't go wrong with either Start Collecting sets. They're great value, and have a solid selection of models. I'd get at least 20 skeletons  just to give your army a nice core. If you can find any of the old battallions, they're all solid value (but you might want new bases). I recommend buying the Grand Alliance: Death book as well. It gives you an overview of the entire range (as it stands), as well as some tasty fluff.

Once you've got a foot in the door, the secret is simple. Pick the models you like. Do you like the idea of hordes of skeletons? Pick up some more, a necromancer and a Wight King. Like the Flesh Eaters, get some Ghouls and a Terrorgheist. Love the Nighhaunt? Pick up another Get Started collection and a Banshee. It really is that simple. AoS lets you build whatever sort of army you want.

If you want painting tips, I highly recommend the Warhammer TV guides. It's all on youtube, and very, very good. Especially check out the video on Nagash. It's long, but has all the tips on flesh, bones, spirits and everything else an undead army  could need.

Darth Alec has give you the best advice. Another way of collecting models is try and come up with a theme and pick what models you want to fit into this theme. So a Night of the Living Dead themed army would be mostly Zombies, but you could add Ghouls and Crypt Horrors too it.

Hi ! I am also a new Death player and new to AoS in general.

I am going for a ladies of Death themed army. Skeleton minions,spirit hosts, Neferata, banshees and converting some female necromancers. I have already bought myself a start collecting skeleton horde box and a single banshee.

Buy whatever floats your boat, be it power or fluff :D And painting comes with time and practice.. I shudder thinking about my horrible LOTR models since I was a teenager.

Model-wise pick whatever you think looks cool. My personal advise would be to choose a core troop you like the look of and go from there. It's much easier to build and field an army when you have a solid core in place. So either skeletons, zombies, or ghouls. From there you can pick up some heroes that synergise with your core choice, and start expanding from there.

When it comes to painting, you've already made a good choice, as Death armies look really good dirty. A base coat, a wash and some light drybrushing will give you a good tabletop result. A quick google search should give you everything you need. And I just remembered that I already have a link;

Edit; me no spell so good when beer.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 5:48 AM, Túrbóbelja said:

Hi ! I am also a new Death player and new to AoS in general.

I am going for a ladies of Death themed army. Skeleton minions,spirit hosts, Neferata, banshees and converting some female necromancers. I have already bought myself a start collecting skeleton horde box and a single banshee.

Buy whatever floats your boat, be it power or fluff :D And painting comes with time and practice.. I shudder thinking about my horrible LOTR models since I was a teenager.

I would be very interested in seeing how you progress with your death army. The concept sounds really solid !

yes Darth Alec said it well , go with what you like, what you like the look of. I will say nothing is more miserable the painting and building a bunch of models you can't stand the look of .

anywho welcome to the death alliance !

Archived