Irofist Brute spam

BiggusDickus

So i just realized that if i use ardboys as brutes (there aren't a lot of differences a part for mthe base) i can build this army with as few as 170 euros wich is really nice for my wallet.

Now to all veteran Ironjawz players out there: how well will this army do?

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Brutes (540)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (180)
- Pig Iron Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (180)
- Pig Iron Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline

Units

Battalions
Ironfist (60)

Total: 1980/2000

I know gore gruntas aren't the best of the bunch but if i'm buying 2 SC! boxes (and i will most likely) i would have those fellas sitting around and why not use them?

I think they can make a great screen/tarpit to get in the way of enemy charges, with their speed they can deny or capture objectives around the table and they can also circle around and get some far away units weak to melee like archers or artillery.

What Solaris said but I'm not convinced you need ardboyz. I would however, make the 15 man units into a 20 man unit with 2" weapons (and buff these with Inspiring presence every round unless you can let them get away with it and Waagh. I would take the remaining 5 and have another Gore Grunta unit. The last 10 man squad I would either have 2 Ard Boy 10's for camping objectives or 2 fives of brutes to do the same (in case you think ard boyz are lame just like I do).

Good Luck :)

The ardboyz are pretty important if you are playing scenarios out of the book. With so many scenarios requiring more models around objectives, they serve as an indispensable part of the army. One thing you can do is use the ardboyz as expendable units to defend against things like Sayl throwing stormfiends at your army. They pop in, kill the screen and then get charged by brutes on the next turn. Also, the brutes don't do well vs shooting, having three run away from battleshock before they hit combat is no fun.

I'm quite fond of Ardboyz. Currently running a block of 20 --- 10 at the back with shields, 10 at the front with 2x weapons a piece.

A frontline dishing out 30 attacks, whilst holding an objective and screening other bits and pieces is pretty ace. Add to that the extra resilient shieldboyz! 

I personally have never seen huge units of brutes be successful. In my 2k list I go for 2 separate formations. 

MSU ironfist consisting of 4 brute units (of 5) to deal with the enemy's big stuff. 

3 units of Ard Boyz to hold down the fort, with a shaman in the weirdfist to either buff the megaboss, the brutes, or wipe out blobs if fist of decides to go off.

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Units

Battalions
Ironfist (60)
Weirdfist (100)

Total: 1920/2000

Hey @BiggusDickus (interesting name btw!),

I guess first things first, I'm not overly keen on the idea of Ardboys representing Brutes. I think there will be a much more noticeable difference than you think once you get them on the 40mms. Assuming your opponents don't mind, the main issue you will have IMO is that you can then not include any Ardboys in your lists (using the same models to represent two units is a big no-no), which will be very detrimental to the army.

I think your list would struggle if I'm honest. Lots of Brutes is pretty lush for raw damage, but as others have said, that Bravery 6 is gonna be a the bane of your list. One unit of 15 Brutes is sustainable and very strong, but by no means brainless to play. It can easy get strung out of position if you're not careful. If you go this route then making the unit champ your General is a must I believe. You can then support the unit with a selection of smaller ones.

Whether its 10 or 15 Brutes, I find this unit is quite resource intensive. I tried two units of 10 at one event last year and it just didn't work how I wanted at all. Running three of them sounds like hard work if I'm honest.

Chris

Archived