Airbrush Problems

shanehurley

I have been having an issue with my airbrush recently and have tried everything I can think of to rectify it but with no success. I have stripped it fully down and cleaned it multiple times, left it all to soak for ages and re-cleaned it then but still having an issue.

The problem I'm having is when I first push the trigger down to get just airflow through it I get a few speckles of paint, it only happens on the initial push of the trigger and then is fine but have ruined many a paint job recently with speckles of paint when I only expected air.

Could this be a needle problem or does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Just attended an air brush class at LVO. One thing he emphasized that sounds like could be your problem is improperly cleaning out the nozzle bit at the front.

ff9d940363c4c4436688b2a1d46f612c.png

Piece 41-003. He said that part needs to be physically scrapped out inside otherwise paint will build up there and make the needle not sit properly leading to symptoms as you describe.

Edit. He also emphasized not scraping too hard or you'll mess it up and then your needle won't sit properly for a different reason lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its important to never let paint build up or dry. Aways clean with windex after using/changing colors.

That said. It also could be the needle. This happens a lot on budget airbrushes. Dont know what yours is. But i have a airmaster and theres no way to fix this problem on the damned gun.

From the Badger troubleshooting document...

3) Spray will not shut off and/or occurs without sliding the trigger back.

This concern can have several causes; the most common are improper seating of the needle in the paint tip, a “flared” pain tip, or partial tip dry.

-If the needle is not seated properly in the paint tip, it is necessary to re-seat it. To do so access and loosen the needle chuck, slide the needle forward until it stops and seats in the paint tip, and re- tighten the needle chuck. DO NOT USE FORCE when seating the needle in the paint tip, when it stops it should be seated properly.

-If the spray will not shut off due to a flared tip, it is necessary to replace the paint tip.

-If the spray will not shut off because of partial tip dry/clogging remove the dried paint from the needle/nozzle tip by either picking it off with your finger tips/nails or spraying cleaner through the airbrush.

Attaching the whole document for you as well, in case you need it :)

top10airbrushtroubleshootingtips.pdf

20 hours ago, shanehurley said:

I bought a special tool to scrape that bit out and did so as it was clogged a little. Maybe I was too heavy handed when I did it. Sorry forgot to say the brush I am using is an Iwata HP-CS. I might try a new needle or  41-003 part

I suspect that you've managed to scrape a line in the nozzle with the tool.  Sadly the tools for cleaning the nozzle are awful and I'm not really sure what they're designed to clean - certainly not any airbrush I've come across :P  The safest way to thoroughly clean out a nozzle is to pop it into a small bottle cap of airbrush cleaner overnight and let it soak (or an ultrasonic cleaner for half an hour if you have one).  Cocktail sticks are fine to clean with (wood is softer than metal) or an old needle - but never scrape, always use a prodder to dislodge any build up with airbrush cleaner.

Having a spare needle is always a good idea, because you know you'll bend the tip if you don't!  One thing I would say is to always go for genuine parts, I've tried third-party before and found them to be vastly inferior to geninue Iwata.  Needles are often not polished and the nozzle either poorly bored or breaks at some point.

It looks like you can pick up a new Nozzle off Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iwata-Eclipse-Sbs-Nozzle-0-35mm/dp/B000BQPNUU).  Also the correct breakdown for your brush can be found on P15 of this guide.

Archived