Is Games-Workshop "grooming" Age of Sigmar's tournament system?

Is GW "grooming" AoS's tournament scene?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Is GW "grooming" AoS's tournament scene?

• no
    • yes
    • the feth are you talking about?
    • I'm totes not a GW employee and we are totes not doing that *wink wink* *nudge nudge*

So bear with me for a bit.

Games Workshop has been... aloof to say the least, when it comes to the tournament games. It has been so for fantasy and 40k. But Age of Sigmar?

GHB IS a fan-comp with a different name. Age of Sigmar was the first of the main-line games Games Workshop decided to stream and seems to be the one where the guys from Nottingham make more efforts to showcase and cover them (Blood and Glory, Warlords, LVO, etc.). Part of this stems from a new direction, but what if, aside from the change in optics, they wanted to make their own competitive system? In so far the baton has always been carried by ETC/ITC which are known to be quite kneejerk-reactionists on occasion and that their relationship with Gee-dubs mustn't be at a high considering that ETC uses ninth age instead of AoS for its tournaments now.

So, do you guys think that all this effort is them trying to make their own "Dependent" Tournament Circuit to defy the "established" system and keep it pure, so to speak?

I just think GW is doing it so people will buy Age of Sigmar product. Doing it the "old way" was not selling Age of Sigmar. This has nothing to "defy" anything. This them advertising their products finally. That is how I see it. I can't see GW being so petty to spend all this time, money and energy to just defy something. They do this to sell product. That is it. Of course, my opinion and could possibly be wrong.

1 hour ago, Davor said:

I just think GW is doing it so people will buy Age of Sigmar product. Doing it the "old way" was not selling Age of Sigmar. This has nothing to "defy" anything. This them advertising their products finally. That is how I see it. I can't see GW being so petty to spend all this time, money and energy to just defy something. They do this to sell product. That is it. Of course, my opinion and could possibly be wrong.

It's almost elementary. Look to the video games industry for a decent model of how to popularise a tabletop game.

Take twitch!

Look at the top streamed games on twitch 100% of the time: Hearthstone, League, Dota 2, counter strike, overwatch and the like - these boys, from the new marketing wave of the past 5 yrs, are aware that organised tournaments sell their end product.

It creates a scene, it foster community, it drums up interest, it makes it so that people strive harder every day with the game as they envision themselves taking that trophy at that big game.

It seems that the current flavour of promotion is a deep and interesting tournament circuit.

If I knew more about Magic I'd argue that they probably set the precedent for a good chunk of this in physical gaming form. But I don't know enough!

All I know is that Magic's tournament friendly format is probably one of the reasons it's still a heavy hitter.

As people have mentioned, it's much more likely that GW is doing this because it sells models. They've seen that this is how people interract with theior hobbies these days. Same with the painting videos. Duncan isn't doing his vids to spite the youtubers, he's doing it (ultimately) to sell the GW models.

Creating a community, strengthening the brand, increasing outreach, all these things likely considerations as well. But to defy a fan-made comp system? To spite a bunch of ex-fans? No. There's no business in that.

The reason GW's comp system is SCGT/Clash-based is likely convenience. THey probably didn't have  a comp system in mind when designing AoS. So when the demand became so high that they couldn't ignore it, they had two options. Either start over from scratch, or take the most established system, refine it, and give it a GW twist. They decided to do the latter.

GW have a love/hate relationship with competitive gaming.
Obviously, it encourages participation, sales, and let's face it they're on the verge of almost making wargaming an esport in a number of ways.
That said, they don't like the inevitable 'end-state' of a hard competitive environment. They want people to have fun with their products. Competitive play will always be a part of that.

They'll likely run more and more events at WHW, but officially 'sanctioning' a circuit is a step I don't see them taking.

(The ETC/9th Age thing tells you all you need to know about ETC.)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Tbh explaining aos is far far far easier than explaining the rules of 8th edition or 40k.

The BRB of 8th and the...book (essentially) of faqs would be far to complex to explain on a stream for new gamers and curious onlookers in a short time. 

Aos is alot more streamlined, alot easier to present much more varied.

8th edition was totally boring for steams, plop down an army.  Go through the motions, game after game. Boring !

Most armies in 8th were essentially pointless, how can you show that on a stream? 

Archived