New and improved Forest dragon

KHHaunts

I've mentioned it a few times on the forums but I wanted to share with everyone the first stages in my attempt. To create a revamped forest dragon model.

It's in its early stages with the green stuff being only the underlay erstwhile so no detailing there yet. Also the Base will be very detailed to be as foresty as possible. 

Have used top jaw of the original drake to keep it recognisable

20170109_235855.jpg

20170109_235943.jpg

20170109_235951.jpg

20170110_000001.jpg

I love the original Forest Dragon (and all the other Trogdor posed dragons GW put out in the 90s...), and this guy is shaping up to be awesome, phenomenal job. What kind of rider (or riders in the case of the Sisters of the Twilight) do you plan on giving it?

I've been thinking about adding a Forest Dragon to my mixed order force from Ghyran for a while now; always strikes last breath looks like it'd be great for combined charges, and the Sisters of Twilight are pretty much a bonus artillery piece. Has anybody had much AoS experience with using one?

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

I love the original Forest Dragon (and all the other Trogdor posed dragons GW put out in the 90s...), and this guy is shaping up to be awesome, phenomenal job. What kind of rider (or riders in the case of the Sisters of the Twilight) do you plan on giving it?

I've been thinking about adding a Forest Dragon to my mixed order force from Ghyran for a while now; always strikes last breath looks like it'd be great for combined charges, and the Sisters of Twilight are pretty much a bonus artillery piece. Has anybody had much AoS experience with using one?

Me to it was one of my first major models from when i was little and since getting back into age of sigmar i refurbished it as the centre piece for my army. Ill post a pic later.

Thanks hopefully what i have planned for the base will add to the effect alot as well.

I am actually planning to have two riders just so i have the option. Im not sure quite how yet but i will have a suitably heroic looking wanderer on the drakes saddle (My first thoughts were to incorporate so wild rider bits along side one of the sickle like weapons of the tree revenants) As for the second character i will create a slot for him/her to sit on perhaps by the tail (no idea what that one will look like yet though)

My reborn wanderer army (Lots of re painted retro models from when i was little matal wardancer and waywatchers and the like.) is my primary army for AOS (My second being a spectral themed deathrattle/nighthaunt army)

As such the forest drake has long been the centre piece of my army and i personally think hes pretty awesome. In fact the whole reason im re doing the model is to give it the stage presence i feel it deserves.

The breath attack can be brutal but you have to pick your moment for maximum effect (A large crush of combat being ideal) but the ability can be devestating for the enemy but is only worth it if it allows other units of yours to take advantage not just the drake.

The statline is fairly decent (Standard dragon stats)

What ive always done is hold the dragon back and have him buff my units until the battle has taken shape a little more then fly him into the most ideal combat and watch the fun.

As for the sisters i havent used them as much but one aspect i dont like is their drakes forced charge ability as i do like to keep the drake out of combat if i need to.

Next step will be sculpting the green stuff parts hope to make a start on it this weekend.

50 minutes ago, Dangermouse425 said:

Great work so far, loved the original model so will be great to see your re-imagining of the classic.

Ive seen a few conversions that incorporate some trees as part of the model. i have LOADS of bits left over from treelord, dryads and wyldwood kits.

Im hoping to incorporate them somehow into the base and dragon

13 minutes ago, KHHaunts said:

As for the sisters i havent used them as much but one aspect i dont like is their drakes forced charge ability as i do like to keep the drake out of combat if i need to.

Surely the dragon's got a high enough move that it can be kept 12" away from enemy units most of the time? In the rare situations that you can't just use the Reckless command trait to reroll successful charges. ;) 

Just now, Double Misfire said:

Surely the dragon's got a high enough move that it can be kept 12" away from enemy units most of the time? In the rare situations that you can't just use the Reckless command trait to reroll successful charges. ;) 

Its more to do with the fact that i like to sometimes keep my drake behind my main set of troops to buff them without immediatly engaging himself. a 12 inch bubble is potentially quite a wide area. particularly when on the defence.

The dragon is decent in combat and his ability means you can cause all sorts of problems for your opponent however he isent as hardy as some other beasts and if your opponent has any sense they will direct as many attack as they can into the drake.

I almost consider the forest drake to be a once per game ability. As against certain armies (Bloodbound for example) when i do decide to unleash his ability i do so knowing that their is a good chance he wont make it out of the combat alive.

Therefore i dont like to run the risk of having a 12"bubble where i potentially cant control it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is the next update on my forest drake. The model itself is nearly done (a few touch ups and details to add after the inital paint job)

Just the base coats on at the moment. Am aiming for something similar to the total war forest drake color. Particularly the wing effect.

20170307_204223.jpg

20170307_204232.jpg

On 10-1-2017 at 3:38 PM, KHHaunts said:

Its more to do with the fact that i like to sometimes keep my drake behind my main set of troops to buff them without immediatly engaging himself. a 12 inch bubble is potentially quite a wide area. particularly when on the defence.

The dragon is decent in combat and his ability means you can cause all sorts of problems for your opponent however he isent as hardy as some other beasts and if your opponent has any sense they will direct as many attack as they can into the drake.

I almost consider the forest drake to be a once per game ability. As against certain armies (Bloodbound for example) when i do decide to unleash his ability i do so knowing that their is a good chance he wont make it out of the combat alive.

Therefore i dont like to run the risk of having a 12"bubble where i potentially cant control it.

Seriously, not taking it into combat means it's wasted on the table.

1. Pick suitable relatively weak targets (though it's ability to always strike first means that the fight doesn't have to be that weak.

2. If you fight stronger opponents get a bodyguard. Attack with eternal guard or something similar and position him behind them So he can attack but cannot get a lot of attacks in return.

3 mystic shield and shield of thorns

• 7 months later...

Its been a while since i posted any updates for this as i had  a break from this model (To many greens and browns was starting to go cross eyed!! :S)

But ive been working on it little by little.

Still has a long way to go. lots of minor details and touch ups as well as some features on the base.

But here it is so far:

59da26557be56_20171008_1403371.jpg.011116484748eaa550eb5255f0712e75.jpg

59da26978004e_20171008_1403541.jpg.1213a89d6d1b86e9887b7446cf5dfcbb.jpg59da26a9e70cb_20171008_1403441.jpg.3a1f4f2c66801e1b73d7c7751c4bea70.jpg

59da26c924ab8_20171008_1403291.jpg.e4f01ede25c28050578afecdd59861cb.jpg

Also here is my first rendition of the rider. Might change the weapon for a revenent weapon not sure yet.:

59da275f15f0e_20171008_1404241.jpg.24dd3b4914e045d56ca74c4712405c8d.jpg

So yeah. Still alot left to go before any of its finished but im happy with how its shaped up so far compared to how i imagined it.

what do people think?

59da2779274fa_20171008_1404421.jpg.d789abca00b2ed4696b7aa0fb8c1e933.jpg

7 hours ago, KHHaunts said:

Its been a while since i posted any updates for this as i had  a break from this model (To many greens and browns was starting to go cross eyed!! :S)

But ive been working on it little by little.

Still has a long way to go. lots of minor details and touch ups as well as some features on the base.

But here it is so far:

59da26557be56_20171008_1403371.jpg.011116484748eaa550eb5255f0712e75.jpg

59da26978004e_20171008_1403541.jpg.1213a89d6d1b86e9887b7446cf5dfcbb.jpg59da26a9e70cb_20171008_1403441.jpg.3a1f4f2c66801e1b73d7c7751c4bea70.jpg

59da26c924ab8_20171008_1403291.jpg.e4f01ede25c28050578afecdd59861cb.jpg

Also here is my first rendition of the rider. Might change the weapon for a revenent weapon not sure yet.:

59da275f15f0e_20171008_1404241.jpg.24dd3b4914e045d56ca74c4712405c8d.jpg

So yeah. Still alot left to go before any of its finished but im happy with how its shaped up so far compared to how i imagined it.

what do people think?

59da2779274fa_20171008_1404421.jpg.d789abca00b2ed4696b7aa0fb8c1e933.jpg

Very cool. What are you doing now that the forest dragon has lost the Wanderer keyword and can't be taken as an ally? Do you play a Wanderer themed mixed order allegiance? Or do you not use match play rules?

Also, what legs are you using for your rider? (I'm converting a frostheart phoenix with a Wanderer looking rider and I'm curious.)

I'd say a large glaive or scythe would work for any riders on a big beastie (and spears ofc). So using Kurnoth leftover weapons might be an option for that phoenix rider. A left over huntmaster sword as the tip for a spear.. might be nice.

21 hours ago, Yeled said:

Very cool. What are you doing now that the forest dragon has lost the Wanderer keyword and can't be taken as an ally? Do you play a Wanderer themed mixed order allegiance? Or do you not use match play rules?

Also, what legs are you using for your rider? (I'm converting a frostheart phoenix with a Wanderer looking rider and I'm curious.)

Well on quite a few matched play games i still use the wanderer key word as its still on the app. But since its changed i plan to take it as an ally and use the old warscroll or the sisters of the thorn for matched play games.

The legs are from the high dragon wizard legs

On 09/10/2017 at 7:42 PM, KHHaunts said:

Well on quite a few matched play games i still use the wanderer key word as its still on the app. But since its changed i plan to take it as an ally and use the old warscroll or the sisters of the thorn for matched play games.

Wanderers can't ally in the new legacy warscrolls as they don't have a faction keyword (though weirdly Stormcast can...).

Btw, the dragon looks jaw dropping painted! :D

21 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Wanderers can't ally in the new legacy warscrolls as they don't have a faction keyword (though weirdly Stormcast can...).

Btw, the dragon looks jaw dropping painted! :D

Never thought about it that way. What an incredibly stupid way to write the rules. Oh Well it wont stop me in my open and narrative games.

Thanks! its getting there

Archived