Tallyband of Nurgle 2000pts

Kousei

Hello

We are going to be having our local  "Store championship" next month. I live out of town and rarely get the chance to play, I have only played AOS a handful of times. I am hoping / attempting to play AOS just using Daemons. I hope this won't handicap me too much? 

I have two different versions of the Tallyband of Nurgle. The first is far more grindy and the second has 2 soul grinders, which I am hoping will jack up 
Epidemius tally faster and provide some early game offence.

Do you think Pure Nurgle has what it takes and which list do you like better?  I thought about adding a healed to get the 3rd character in for the plague bearers ability and to get the 2nd free artifact for having a battalion. However, 10 more plague bearers seems better

Thank you for any feedback and advice. 

Pure Tallyband of Nurgle

Leaders

Great Unclean One (240)
Epidemius (180)

Units

Plaguebearers Of Nurgle x 30 (300)

- Battleline

- Battleline

Plaguebearers Of Nurgle x 20 (200)

- Battleline

Beasts Of Nurgle x 4 (240)

Plague Drones Of Nurgle x 6 (440)

Battalions

Tallyband of Nurgle (100)

Total: 2000/2000

Tallyband of Nurgle with 2 Souls

Leaders

Great Unclean One (240)

Epidemius (180)

Units

- Battleline

- Battleline

- Battleline

Beasts Of Nurgle x 1 (60)

Beasts Of Nurgle x 1 (60)

Behemoths

Soul Grinder (280)

Soul Grinder (280)

Battalions

Total: 2000/2000

10 more plaguebearers are always better.  I personally love soul grinders and have run 2 in a list to good effect.  Great Unclean One's are so amazing for their points that I would think about dropping the beast of nurgle & epidemus in list 2 and running 2 Great Unclean One's.  I haven't tried running 2 of the same great daemon before though, but I've seen 2 Bloodthristers do work.  Or drop the 2 beasts and epidemus to get back 300 points, add 10 plaguebearers to the 20 man unit and run 2 heralds to have them follow the plaguebearers around ot have their locus active at all times.

Hello 

Thanks for the reply :) . The times I have played I have loved the GUO , as long as the other person doesn't have lots of shooting and gets double turns. 
If I want to still use the Tallyband , I need to have 6 other units besides the 1 GUO and GUOs are not in the list of 6 other models. So you think List 2 no matter ? I was leaning towards list 1, but I like them both. 

I should have put this in my opening post. The GUO is going to be my general ( probably a given). I am going to give him the Lord of War command ability and Favour of the Gods artifact. I also plan on casting the mystic shield on him every turn. I want to keep him alive as long as possible.

Part of me was also thinking about cunning deceiver, but It seems very limited to me due to only working on the first turn. However, I don't play very much. 

I think your lists need to have at least 3 heroes.  I also don't recommend Beasts of Nurgle.  They are just to expensive for what they give your list.  Remember that all your daemons require the Lotus buffs to do well.  80 plague bearers is really going to underperform for you unless your an fit in the Glottkin to have more wounds and attacks.

Soul grinders always seem to underperform for me.

However a second guo or/and a sayl might be nice.

Personaly id be looking at something like this, far from optimized but still some nice tools while doing the nurgle thing:

Great Unclean One (240)

Great Unclean One (240)
Herald (100)

Sayl - 160

Units

- Battleline

Plaguebearers Of Nurgle x 10 (100)

- Battleline

- Battleline

Beasts Of Nurgle x 2 (120)

I like the idea of the double GUO. I wasn't super impressed with their damage output, I could give the non general one the artifact that gives an extra attack to try and help out with that.  I am trying to play pure daemons and I kind of want to try the Tallyband Battalion. I do like the Glottkin though :) , I am not sure what SAYL is?? 

With this version of the  list I could pair each unit up with its own hero to activate their Locus,  

I am not sure what SAYL is?? 

Leaders
Great Unclean One (240)
Great Unclean One (240)
Epidemius (180)
Herald Of Nurgle (100)

Units
-  Battleline
-  Battleline
Plaguebearers Of Nurgle x 10 (100)
-  Battleline

Battalions

Total: 2000/2000

I don't think you need Sayl in a Nurgle list that relies on Hero Keyword buffing. Sure you can fly the drones 18" into your opponents army, but without the Nurgle Daemon hero within 7" to buff them they lose so much effectiveness. Nurgle Heroes are slow and resilient, you need to keep them close to the rest of your units to make them worth taking.

If you are going the Epidemius tally route I would suggest taking 2 Plagueclaw Catapults as they will give you the ranged threat you lack and will also get the tally filled quickly if you bomb units of infantry such as Goblins/Rats, they also benefit from the tally due to the Nurgle keyword giving them the reroll 1 to hit and wound quite early on, making that 21 tally for the +1 armour save come round usually by turn 2-3.

The problem is if you play against lists like Stormcast, Ogres,  or any armies that don't have big blocks of infantry, then Plagueclaw becomes a useless points sink.  Just remember those big units of plaguebearers are very slow and do very little damage.  You will really struggle to kill other armies or reach Epidemus tally.

1 hour ago, Broxus said:

The problem is if you play against lists like Stormcast, Ogres,  or any armies that don't have big blocks of infantry, then Plagueclaw becomes a useless points sink.  Just remember those big units of plaguebearers are very slow and do very little damage.  You will really struggle to kill other armies or reach Epidemus tally.

On the flip side, those Plagueclaws have -2 rend, something that you won't find otherwise in Nurgle.

2 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

On the flip side, those Plagueclaws have -2 rend, something that you won't find otherwise in Nurgle.

True, but at a 180 points each they likely won't get you your points back in a game.  If they get a points cut in GHB2 they may be worth taking again.  I still don't understand how they are currently the exact same cost as an ORDER cannon.

The main point of playing a Tallyband list isn't really to kill stuff, but rather to take and hold objectives with your nearly un-killable big blocks of plague bearers. Epidemius is a nice add, to be sure, but to REALLY make your opponent sweat, you need to bring the Brothers Glott. Extra attacks and double wounds with mystic shield on a unit of 30 PBs will make anybody sweat once it's on an objective. 

Hello

So I was able to get out of town this weekend and go play some AOS for the first time in over 6 months.  I was able to play two games vs two of my really good Buddies   The first game was against IronJaws , I believe they are called. They were crazy fast , but I expected based on the rules they told me about.  

He charged my line first turn. However, I felt confident about it, because I was thinking "I am Nurgle Daemons, I shouldn't be scared of a fight , I am super durable!"  NOPE! He rocked my line first turn, killed 2/6 plague drones , 3/6 beasts of Nurgle, killed 9 Plaguebearers from one unit and about 5 ish from the other large unit. I think the Plague Bearers did pretty well though.  
I kill a 2 wound model and put another wound on another guy.  I am was then thinking.. "ok that was rough, but its my turn next and I can use the tallyband to heal my units....NOPE!  He got a double turn and did 18 wounds to the first plague bearer unit (battle shock finished them off), 21 wounds to the Plague drones ( Killed all of them), 18+ to the beats of Nurgle ( killed all of them) and killed the GUO. I think I killed 2, two wound models ( 3 wounds in total).  So the game was done and I never played a 2nd turn. I was unbelievably astonished about how easily all my "tough / durable" Nurgle stuff died, very discouraging.     

Next game I played vs the New wood elves. I knew roughly what they did before hand and through listing to the guys tell stories about their crazy rules etc.  We played a scenario where there was two objectives in opposite corners of the table. He had a bonus mission to get an extra point for each hero or monster he killed. I had the one where you get 5 points for killing their general, his general had a 2+ armour save , ignoring rend of 1 and re-rolling amour saves of 1. To be honest It was a pretty boring game over all. I slowly waddled  across the table towards him with 3/4 of my army. I left the last 1/4 ish back to guard my objective because he could come in from a table edge and through forests.  He has 3 units of 3 archers that sat in a forest the whole game shooting , they had 2+ ( mystic shield) and 3+ armour saves, re-rolling failed armour saves. They had very long range and massive damage output. Every 2 turns ish I might kill a model and he would just bring it back to life. He had another unit come in on his objective and sit there for the game. So only 2 treeman moved around.  At the end of the game he had roughly 2 of the archer guys, 3 dryads and 1 Spirt of D Tree man dead.  His other 3 units sat off the table until his last turn.  He won the game by 1 point , thanks to his mission.  His army was far more durable then mine was in this matchup. I understand I have a massive edge vs mortal wounds though.  It's that combined with how he moves faster and better, shoots a lot, has large damage output, board control and casts lots of spells. Felt super out classed lol.    

So overall I wasn't super impressed by the games I played or the game itself.  I was pretty discouraged by how easily my stuff died and how pathetic my damage out put was. I wasn't expecting to do crazy damage due to being Nurgle, but I thought I was going to be very resilient to off set that. The 2nd game, I played with 2 GUOs and I thought it was a little better , if not simply a little more fun. I liked that I actually had a little bit of shooting and some damage output.   I also think I should moved my 2nd GUO up sooner to help the Plague drones vs the archer guys more. 

I am going to be making another list in a different thread. I think if I want to play something semi competitive just with Daemons, I will need to mix the Gods at least. I would rather save that talk ,for that thread though. I will put a link in this thread to it. 

So this is the next pure Nurgle list I am going to try.  

Leaders
The Glottkin (480) ( I know not a Daemon :( ) 
- General
Great Unclean One (240)
- Artefact: Favour of the Gods

Battleline
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)
30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (300)
30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (300)

Behemoths
Soul Grinder (280)
Soul Grinder (280)

Total: 1980/2000

Sorry to hear your losses with the Tallyband, and although I think you might do better with a little more experience with the Sylvaneth or Ironjaws, I also think that playing Nurgle Daemons is just not top tier, no matter what you do.

Nurgle may be top tier in terms of cool models and fun paintjobs, but powerwise I think we need to wait for a new battletome to avoid an uphill struggle against tooled competitive lists.

Still looking forward to hearing about your future experiences with the Nurgle daemons :-)

I played this list and it has been fairly successful.

Tallyband Battalion

Great Unclean One

Epidemous

Herald of Nurgle

30x Plaguebearers

10x Plaguebearers

10x Plaguebearers

6x Plaguedrones (could be two units of 3)

6x Plaguedrones (Could be two units of 3)     

The list has surprisingly more models than you would think,  131 wounds (with two saves), can do ranged (not great), can do mortal wounds, constantly gains wounds and models back, and in late game becomes stupid good if you can get 21 kills.

Archived