New player confusion - Empire in AOS matched?

Nem

Hi guys,

As a long time WHFB player returning to the hobby I am interested in giving AOS a try. I was very pleased to see points & matched play are now a thing but I am a little confused... hopefully uo guys can help:

I am trying to retrofit my empire army for AOS - in the generals handbook I can see points values for a number of heros, knights, cannons etc. but there are a ton of units with no profile for matched play - state troops, great swords, steam tanks, etc etc. This is made stranger by the fact some of these units exist in the Warscroll Detachments, which DO have points values!!

Where can I find the points values for all the empire units?! Sorry if I am being really stupid, but I am quite stumped and not sure where to look...

Many thanks guys. 

I see... so a free guild general is the same thing as an empire general?

eg the state troop warscroll requires an "empire general" and "empire state troops". I'm this example would I then pay for a "free guild general" and "free guild guard"?

Have I understood correctly?

I can see how this makes sense but it seems very unclear and imprecise.. is this universally accepted?

Many thanks.

So, basically what happened was that GW released the compendium scrolls (which are the free download pdfs that you find on their website) when AoS first launched (July 2015).  These bundles of pdfs contained all the old units in their pages.

Over the next year, some units were "brought forward" into AoS and seated into the world.  These units often got new keywords that designated which subfaction they were a part of and with this keyword came fluff text that anchored them in the current world. Most of the time the scrolls remained unchanged when they gained their new keywords, although some were.  For WHFB's Empire army, both the compendium (2015) and the later release in the Grand Alliance Order book (Spring 2016) used the "Free Peoples" keyword.  The exceptions to this is the Ironweld Arsenal sub-faction that absorbed most of the blackpowder artillery units from both Empire and Dwarves, the Collegiate Arcane sub-faction that absorbed all of the casters and the Devoted of Sigmar that got the warriors priests. Despite many units keeping the same keywords, not all the models from the original range were "updated" (most of these being old metal models and named characters).

Thus,  a year later (July 2016) the general's handbook was released which divided up units by what Grand Alliance and sub-faction they were in.  These are the scrolls that were "updated."  All units that were not updated but retained the rules and keywords they first had in that first set of pdf compendiums that were released also had point values included for matched play, but they were relegated to the "Compendium" section of the General's handbook.

According to the intro section for matched play, they suggest that one use the most up to date warscrolls, which are those that have been updated.  If a war scroll hasn't been updated, you use the war scroll in the compendium. You can observe these distinctions in the app where compendium war scrolls have white backgrounds while the updated scrolls have colored backgrounds and often have model images.

Regarding your questions, yes, the empire general is a free guild general.  Since the Empire General received an updated war scroll (free guild general), you use the rules for the free guild general.  If there is a difference between the rules of the two war scrolls, you use the most up-to-date war scroll.  

All things considered, the Empire faired pretty well in the update since they kept a centralized Free Peoples subfaction with the same keywords so everything works well together (and they can work with Bretonnians).  If you compare that to high elves for example, you'll see that high elves were broken into 5 subfactions, none of which place nice with any of the others, while a large part of the faction wasn't updated either.  They're a mess compared to Empire.

@Thomas Lyons has nailed 90% of what I was going to say.

The Knights and Special Characters are likely to be the only reasons you need to revisit The Empire compendium. Everything else really has been brought into Free People, Ironweild, and Colleague Arcane. 

If you're playing Narrative, you're welcome to use all The Empire warscrolls and batallions.

If you're playing Matched Play, you'll notice that a lot of the troops have been brought into the new armies;

• Empire Archers = Free Guild Archers
  • Empire State Troops = Free Guild Guard
  • Empire Greatswords = Free Guild Greatswords
  • Empire General = Free Guild General
  • Empire Wizard = Colleage Arcane Battlemage

Jump into the sub-forum for Order, and you'll find a large Free People thread...

They also split into Devoted to Sigmar, which is the coolest subfaction! thats the religious aspect of the Empire, warriorpriest, flaggelants and altar to Sigmar. 

I hope they expand that faction in the future, because they are very fun to play but not that good.

One thing to note is that empire cannons didn't survive the transition as I guess they didn't see the point having two different cannons in the ironweld arsenal and the Dwarf cannon had a newer model. So for those you'll aslo need to head for the compendiums.

On Tuesday, January 03, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Thomas Lyons said:

So, basically what happened was that GW released the compendium scrolls (which are the free download pdfs that you find on their website) when AoS first launched (July 2015).  These bundles of pdfs contained all the old units in their pages.

Over the next year, some units were "brought forward" into AoS and seated into the world.  These units often got new keywords that designated which subfaction they were a part of and with this keyword came fluff text that anchored them in the current world. Most of the time the scrolls remained unchanged when they gained their new keywords, although some were.  For WHFB's Empire army, both the compendium (2015) and the later release in the Grand Alliance Order book (Spring 2016) used the "Free Peoples" keyword.  The exceptions to this is the Ironweld Arsenal sub-faction that absorbed most of the blackpowder artillery units from both Empire and Dwarves, the Collegiate Arcane sub-faction that absorbed all of the casters and the Devoted of Sigmar that got the warriors priests. Despite many units keeping the same keywords, not all the models from the original range were "updated" (most of these being old metal models and named characters).

Thus,  a year later (July 2016) the general's handbook was released which divided up units by what Grand Alliance and sub-faction they were in.  These are the scrolls that were "updated."  All units that were not updated but retained the rules and keywords they first had in that first set of pdf compendiums that were released also had point values included for matched play, but they were relegated to the "Compendium" section of the General's handbook.

According to the intro section for matched play, they suggest that one use the most up to date warscrolls, which are those that have been updated.  If a war scroll hasn't been updated, you use the war scroll in the compendium. You can observe these distinctions in the app where compendium war scrolls have white backgrounds while the updated scrolls have colored backgrounds and often have model images.

Regarding your questions, yes, the empire general is a free guild general.  Since the Empire General received an updated war scroll (free guild general), you use the rules for the free guild general.  If there is a difference between the rules of the two war scrolls, you use the most up-to-date war scroll.  

All things considered, the Empire faired pretty well in the update since they kept a centralized Free Peoples subfaction with the same keywords so everything works well together (and they can work with Bretonnians).  If you compare that to high elves for example, you'll see that high elves were broken into 5 subfactions, none of which place nice with any of the others, while a large part of the faction wasn't updated either.  They're a mess compared to Empire.

Always got to lament your elves eh? ;). But well said! Best way to explain it. 

Archived