Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

14 minutes ago, kozokus said:

@Killax Just a question BTW, why do you rate the Exalted DB higher than the Grinder?

For my part i always found that the SG beneficy more from additionnal attacks than the EDB

I don't really rate him that much higher. I just expect to use the Exalted DB more because of Battalion availability and buffs (in special The Goretide).
I wouldn't run either too often otherwise. Bloodforged is absolutely a legit choice also, which is where I wouldn't rate the Grinder higher as Exalted Deathbringer. One of the reasons as to why I wouldn't run either too often is simple, Bloodsecrators remain essential unless we're talking about Gore Pilgrim Slaughterpriests and there are only so many Hero slots we can work with.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally rate the exalted deathbringer higher than the skullgrinder, all of his abilities are situational. Bravery? Meh Don t often need to worry about that, how often does he kill a hero or monster... 

The exalted deathbringer only needs proper placement to be better, no special unit to improve his damage output. Putting the item which doubles attacks on him is great also.

His defensive abilities also add to his offensive capabilities.

Yeah the thing remains that total judgement is placed within army context.

As I wouldn't run much Aspiring Deathbringers, Exalted Deathrbingers or Skullgrinders unless a Battalion would require it from me. To some extend the same applies to Slaughterpriest aswell. While they certainly improved, just going for a 50/50 4+ roll with the potential to damage yourself on a 1+ is risky. Still all is fantastic to start out with. Just difficult to manage for tournaments.

For my Narrative development I plan to go route with armour I havn't gone for before :D More on the plog but wanted to share it here aswell:
18197286_1375306522576585_386253343_n.jp Tamiya Clear Red is one hell of a drug :P 

Back to list and model creation again, I'd love to see how some have spiced up their Skullreapers! Do you guys just put the "Wrathmonger heads" on or do you have more creative conversion for them? I know of the Blood Warrior blend, will give that one a try aswell for the future but more is very welcome.

Just wrathmonger, those helmets are epic. Im not good at skin painting so I always go helms . 

I also like the emotionless aspect of them.  These guys have one job and are nothing more than killing machines, the masks hide all aspect of anger and pain. 

I loved the lore behind wrathmongers in 8th, that they'd fill their helmets up with blood and then put it on, the blood running down their face driving them in to a frenzy

I used the wrathmongers heads, because I didn't like the skullreaper heads.

I wanted my entire army to be helmeted, with just my Juggernaut Lord having his helmet off (gave him the exalted deathbringer with spear bearded head).  I also wanted the "faceless killers" vibe.  Unfortunately I have the blood reavers so I haven't decided what to do with them.

Hi,

This is a list I’ve been working on for a while. The idea is to try to use the Gore Pilgrims as buffers to avoid battle shock and give the Bloodletters/Skullreapers the chance for a 4+ MW with an ordinary hit of 2+.

Due to the combination of the artefact on the Lord on Juggernaut that gives an aura of +1 to run/charge, the Stokers +3 to run/charge and the command ability of the general, the Wrath of Khorne Blood Thirster, giving +1 to run/charge I end up with Bloodletters/Skullreapers running  5”+5”+D6” with a charge of 2xD6 + 5”. That’s an average of 25”/26” reach for my Bloodletters/Skullreapers, with a threat range of 33”. The WoK BT has a reach of an additional 5” for an average of about 30” with flying. Due to artefacts and command trait he does 6 attacks at D3+2 damage at -2 rend. This can be buffed to 7 attacks at 2+/2+, rerolling all wound rolls of 1 and rerolling hit rolls of 1 against Heroes and Monsters. But I have not chosen the WoK BT purely based on his damage output. The run AND charge is what I am after here. This gives me the mobility and range to choose which unit goes to which combat.

As I see it you want at least a few hammers, a few anvils, a few chaff units and perhaps an ace or two up your list/sleeve. The WoK BT, Bloodletters and Skullreapers will be my hammers. 2 x 10 units of Bloodwarriors the anvils and 2 x 10 units of Bloodreavers will act as chaff and make sure nothing lands/appears/teleports to close to my linchpin, the Bloodsecrator. The priests will be my aces buffing with +1 to hit, doing MWs and moving the enemy around when I feel like it.

I picked the Lorde on Juggernaut over the Lord of Khorne due to his higher durability (he can take a snowball to the face and survive) and slightly higher mobility. Additionally I already have 3 dispellers. They could easily be swapped though. Especially since the LoKs command ability can come in handy and is relatively easy to access with Blood Tithe.

The list is meant to be semi-competitive and should be able to work in most scenarios. With 6 heroes, 1 unit of 30 models, 4 units of 10 models and one of 5 I should be able to cover objectives as well as cover ground. Especially with the three different sources of mobility the list provides me. As I have tried to point out above (and has been pointed out on this forum by others) the Bloodsecrator, and keeping him alive, is really the vulnerable point of the Gore Pilgrims.

Any and all feedback/input is very much welcome and appreciated !

Unit                                                                              Points
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster                              360
General            
Unrivalled Battlelust (+1 DMG)                        
Deathdealer (+1 DMG)

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut                             140
Talisman of Burning Blood (+1 run/charge) 
Bloodletters 30 x 1                                               300
Bloodreavers 10 x 2                                              140
Blood warriors 10 x 2                                            400
Bloodsecrator                                                        120
Bloodsstoker                                                         80
Slaughterpriest 1 x 2 (Killing Frenzy)                 200
Skullreapers    1 x 5                                            140
Gore Pilgrims                                                       80                                                    
Total:                                                                        1960

@Arkiham yeah I also really like the Wrathmonger helmets, for the same reasons as you mentioned. They remind me of Jason Vorhees movies except with bunny ears attached to that hockeymask. I also really like the one with the revealed mouth for the Slaughterpriest. As I like to immagne he's cursing at everybody and everything :P 

@Centurio Thanks for the info! I think Wrathmonger helmets it is. Likely mixing up some with some other heads. Something I do want to test is mix up some of the Exalted Deathbringer and other fellows, such as the bare Slaughterpriest head. Once I come around to it I'll likely share some blue-tac shots.

@Pompe List looks very solid! Id go for it. Since you have 40 points left you might also want to consider upgrading the Skullreapers to Wrathmongers.

14 minutes ago, Killax said:

@Pompe List looks very solid! Id go for it. Since you have 40 points left you might also want to consider upgrading the Skullreapers to Wrathmongers.

Thank you! Yeah, that was the original list. But their synergy with the priests is not as good as with the Bloodreapers (MW going down from 6+ to 4+).

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:09 AM, Arkiham said:

I'll start off, and my question is about a unit I'm looking to use beyond theory-craft, the wrathmongers.

How do you best use these guys? Obviously prefer to go for the big elite units, or heroes. But how do you ensure you get there ? Many target units outreach the wrathmongers in terms of move, either flying or sheer movement, and you don't want to end up in combat with chaff.

So, any tips on how to position these guys would be great 

I realize this is an older question, but I just joined this forum and will admit I did not read thru every single response. However, I like the question, so for what it's worth, I'm going to provide an answer.

Wrathmongers have become my favorite unit. No matter how I switch up and mix my armies (Khorne Demons, Bloodbound, and Slaves), thus far, I've always included Wrathmongers. I've used them very successfully in two ways:

1). Three units of 5 to form the Bloodstorm Battalion. This is nasty stuff. Keep rolling hit rolls of 6, no Battleshock for mortal Khorne units up to 8" away, and enemy missiles subtract 1 from wound rolls. Provide a buff with Bloodsecretor and/or Aspiring Deathbringer and/or Chaos Warshrine, and I've had 5 Wrathmongers roll upwards to over 50 dice on a single turn if they charged.

2). I've only done this once, but it was a lot of fun to see my opponent's face of panic. I placed all 15 wrathmongers in one unit and lined them up across the table. Turn 1, I ran the WM's forward as far as they could, but made sure they stayed within 10" of Sayl the Faithless. Turn 2, Sayl cast his spell on the 1 unit of 15 WMs which gave them 18" movement and the ability to fly until my next Hero Phase. I had them within in charge range of my opponent's entire frontline by turn 2. Not to mention, before they ran, I had Chaos Sorcerer Lord cast Demonic Power on the unit. By turn 3, I had eliminated over half my opponent's troops. His saving grave was he had a few units in the clouds as Stormcast, but by turn 4 it was over. BTW, I also had Skarrbrand in on this build, and used Sayl's ability on him turn 3 to kill the big baddies. Skarrbrand with 18" movement and the ability to fly...  yeah... have fun with that.

Wrathmongers are great fun, great and a fantastic tool to use against Monsters. Which is one of the reasons as to why, in some cases, I like them slightly more as Skullreapers. Again the evaluation of their use comes from the bigger picture, better put, the army. 

When I for example look @Pompe his army I see 2 units of Blood Warriors allready and 1 big uit of Bloodletters. To me this is sufficient backbone for the Slaughterpriest to work with so I personally see the spare 40 points as a true possible upgrade for them.

Now if we wern't talking about 2 units of 10 Blood Warriors or 1 unit of 30 Bloodletters in this context I certainly would add Skullcrushers first. To me the biggest advantage gained in Wrathmongers + Bloodthirster lists is that your opponent is in for a nasty suprise, as usually the Wrathmongers get ignored or draw to much fire.
To me the combination of soft and hard units works out just as fine as always. While Wrathmongers most certainly belong to the soft units, their buffing, especially when there is only one Bloodsecrator, is likely going to matter aswell during the later stages of the game. So if you have the points I'd thake them.

I am currently working on a 1.500 list for a tournament. With under 2.000 points I'm really struggling with combining bloodbound and daemons because I really want to play the Gore Pilgrims. But if I also take daemons I feel like I also need to play the murderhost battalion for them to be effective. Though both battalions are playable with 1.500 points it seems to be too much of a compromise.

I have come up with two lists. One is pure bloodbound, the other has some bloodletters added.

Spoiler

Bloodsecrator (120)

Bloodstoker (80)

- Artefact : Talisman of Burning Blood

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Bloodbathed Axe

- Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Bloodbathed Axe

- Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Hackblade and Wrath Hammer

Aspiring Deathbringer (80)

- General

- Goreaxe and Skullhammer

- Artefact : The Skull-helm of Khorne

- Command Trait : Berzerker Lord

Units

10 x Blood Warriors (200)

-Goreaxe & Gorefist

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

-Reaver Blades

5 x Skullreapers (140)

-Daemonblades

5 x Blood Warriors (100)

-Goreaxe & Gorefist

5 x Wrathmongers (180)

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

-Reaver Blades

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

-Reaver Blades

Battalions

Gore Pilgrims (80)

Here is the second one

Spoiler

Bloodsecrator (120)

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Bloodbathed Axe

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Bloodbathed Axe

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Hackblade and Wrath Hammer

Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer (80)

- General

- Command Trait : Berzerker Lord

Units

-Goreaxe & Gorefist

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

-Reaver Blades

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

-Reaver Blades

-Goreaxe & Gorefist

5 x Wrathmongers (180)

20 x Bloodletters (200)

- Gore Drenched Icon

Battalions

Gore Pilgrims (80)

I feel like the aspiring Deathbringer is a solid choice for a lower points game. I haven't played the Gore Pilgrims with three slaughterpriests yet but a potential 3D6 Mortal Wounds should come in handy on a competitive level.

In general I'm a bit concerned that I don't have any fast units. I don't own any Skullcrushers, I'm not a fan of my Bloodcrushers and the only other choice I have would be Flesh Hounds.

The scenarios being play are Three places of power, Border War and Escalation. Three places of power might be problematic without any tank Heros but I just don't see how to include a bigger Hero without giving up too much troops...

Right now I'd prefer the second list because I'm a big fan of Bloodletters although the army would be even slower without the Bloodstoker.

Let me know what you guys think. Cheers

9 minutes ago, Dragonlover said:

@Killax is that Tamiya Clear over Stormhost Silver?

Dragonlover

No Tamiya Clear Red over Vallejo Steel, which is more or less Leadbelcher.

However before it was applied I did blend in a black to the edges to hive a broad (high)light else you'll get the same effect Forge World has on their pre-heresy Thousand Sons, which is just very metallic red basically but also looks quite flat. Like this:
9955102238_ThousandSonsMKIV360.jpg
* I also expect they used Gold as the base colour before applying Tamiya Clear Red, makes it Red/Orange. 

If you dullcoat/matt coat that it will eventually look like this:
image1.JPG

If you go that gunmetal/black:gunmetal mix you obtain that deep red which I use and like for Khorne, this example has also been done it a compairable way:
Khorne1.jpg.fb74f84ea7e088dd7ae2e6833b8f

I really like the Tamiya Clear paints, though it's easy to go overboard with them because they are super-gloss. You could dull it but it removes the prime reason to use it in my eyes. 

The lighter metallic colour you go, the more orangy the Tamiya Clear Red effect becomes, which can be really cool also. The effect with gunmetal colours gets you the above result. 

Last but not least, Tamiya Paints do require some true patience. You'll need to apply 2-3 coats of it before you get to that deep red metallic but you NEED TO let the other coats dry first. Else it will ****** up the underlying coats. 

Back to some exciting list creation! For Tournament players, hardcore 'eadbashers and general 'trash' that aims to win tournaments I think this list has some good potential. As it's also an example as to why we don't ****** require Sayl anymore to do things quickly.

Army: Khorne Army
Battalions: Murderhost [20]; Gore Pilgrims [80]

Leaders:
[360] Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster; General; Immense Power; Death Dealer
[120] Bloodsecrator
[120] Bloodsecrator (Gore Pilgrims); The Brazen Rune
[100] Slaughter Priest (Gore Pilgrims); Killing Frenzy
[100] Slaughter Priest (Gore Pilgrims); Blood Sacrifice
[100] Skullmaster, Herald of Khorne (Murderhost); The Crimson Crown

Units: 
[300] 30 Bloodletters (Murderhost)
[300] 30 Bloodletters (Murderhost)
[100] 5 Fleshhounds (Murderhost)
[100] 5 Blood Warriors (Gore Pilgrims)
[70] 10 Bloodreavers (Gore Pilgrims)
[70] 10 Bloodreavers (Gore Pilgrims)
[60] 10 Marauders 

Set up:
Thanks to Murderhost the whole Bloodletter units, Fleshhounds and Skullmaster move up 2d6. Thanks to Blood Sacrifice (on Marauders) you can use Lord of the Bloodhunt twice, so both Bloodletter blocks will be affected, meaning they will also run up 6+D6" and charge 2D6+1", which makes it all quite dicey but a 7+9+7 'turn 1 move' shouldn't be out of the question for two blocks of 30 Bloodletters and the best part of it is that they are very likely still in range of the Gore Pilgrim Bloodsecrator and/or The Crimson Crown. 

The additional units are mostly chaff but still will work out fine as a secondary wave I think. Other than that there are much more options with Murderhost that I think should work out fine aswell. For example if you don't want to go for the first turn with 2 Bloodletter Units or only 1 you can also swap a Bloodsecrator for a Bloodstoker. The other alternative remains to max out on Murderhost and accept the idea that a turn 1 charge is likely just out of reach but you will have more than sufficient Bloodletter blocks to follow up with.

What I like about this variant is that we also have room for The Brazen Rune who allows us to auto-dispell something like Sayl turn 1. The Skullmaster is likely a cool choice for the army aswell but I do happen to like The Crimson Crown for it's potential within this list. As theoretically it can cascade very quickly because 2 blocks of 30 Bloodletters dish out damage very well and arn't easy to deal with when you also have a Bloodthirster, Blood Warriors, 2 Blood Boils and Bloodreavers/Marauders to worry about. 

Let me know what you guys would like to thake to a cheeze fest! I saw some maxed Brass Stampede ideas on the other page, I think they can follow a similar principle as the Murderhost maxed, with this I mean that a first turn combo is just our of range but you do have the numbers and wounds to soak damage. 

Love the list!

I'd change the Bloodsecrator for another Slaughterpriest which would make room for Reavers instead of the Marauders or a Blood Throne instead of the Skull Master.

But this is pretty much the list I'm trying to boil down to 1.500 for a tourney...

That would make one of the bombs really fast.
One the other hand with three priests you could do 2x killing frenzy plus sacrifice.

I haven't tried three priests yet but I'm going to tomorrow

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kozokus said:

@Killax

I think your list is invalid because you didn't included the points of murderhost and pilgrims (so 100 extra)

Thanks for the note! 5 Blood Warriors removed opens a new 100 :) 

2 hours ago, facelez said:

Love the list!

I'd change the Bloodsecrator for another Slaughterpriest which would make room for Reavers instead of the Marauders or a Blood Throne instead of the Skull Master.

But this is pretty much the list I'm trying to boil down to 1.500 for a tourney...

35 minutes ago, kozokus said:

I would rather remove the Secrator + maraudeur and add a nice 80 point hero like a Stoker

Certainly all possible! The advantage you have here is that Bloodsecratot 1 stands still turn 1 and activates, while Bloodsecrator 2 can just move up and preform that same ability turn 2. This way you can possibly go back and forth between Bloodsecrators to enlarge your bubble and basically have it applied where you want to anywhere on the field. 

There is another route to go which simply said doesn't involve Gore Pilgrims. The advantage of this is that you include more bodies, more Bloodsecrators and basically have so much stuff to do by turn 2 that it's more a matter of willing to soack up the casualties. 

One of the advantages there is that it allows us to not bother so much with the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster which remains very expensive despite the additional Command Trait and Artefact buffing him up. 

1 hour ago, Killax said:

Thanks for the note! 5 Blood Warriors removed opens a new 100

I am always reluctant to play Bwarriors by 5. I feel the loss of the weapon is a huge blow to the dammage output.

1 hour ago, Killax said:

One of the advantages there is that it allows us to not bother so much with the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster which remains very expensive despite the additional Command Trait and Artefact buffing him up. 

I wasn't sold on the WOKBT until i eat one in my golden-masked face. The fact that he has a lot of different abilities is something considerable compared to the two other that are "just" brute force machines. The (nice) command trait, the auto-mystic bolt, the extra-crispy reroll to hit hero/monster with his dammage D3+2 weapon and the dispell... He is the firemagnet you have to deal with or die. He overshadows everything even Secrators.

19 minutes ago, kozokus said:

I am always reluctant to play Bwarriors by 5. I feel the loss of the weapon is a huge blow to the dammage output.

I wasn't sold on the WOKBT until i eat one in my golden-masked face. The fact that he has a lot of different abilities is something considerable compared to the two other that are "just" brute force machines. The (nice) command trait, the auto-mystic bolt, the extra-crispy reroll to hit hero/monster with his dammage D3+2 weapon and the dispell... He is the firemagnet you have to deal with or die. He overshadows everything even Secrators.

Well the prime target you try to apply is the Bloodletters. 5 Blood Warriors remain a minimum Gore Pilgrims requirement and as much as I'd like to trade them, I can't ;) 

In regards to the WoKBT, he'll manage, the thing is applying massed models with Murderhost or The Goretide as your list seems somewhat under-appriciated I feel. For it's sure nice to have 2 units up there in turn 1 (providing you roll average dice) having all units up there turn 2 is also worth something for me.

So far the Slaughterborn certainly is a Battalion you need to test to comment but making attacks in someone else's phases adds up :) 

No mistake, i value hordesques army above all :) (even if i am the only ****** in my club that have an excessive fluff-related love for Concussors and Décimators so they are less an issue for me).

The more i think them, the less i like Bloodbound-bataillons, you end up with 80-200 points of nothin' that could have been 10/20 warriors/letters more.

The same goes for the Murderhost. the more i see it the more i like this elegant formation where you trade 20 points to deploy four units 2-12" further and give another crown/mark to someone.

Regarding formation i tend to value things like that :

T1 : thoses that mess with the movement.

T2 : others that get you a direct bonus

T3 : thoses that get you a situationnal bonus.

T99 : Red headsmen (oh come on! do you pay to give your opponent's masterpieces a BONUS and gives nothing to you?)

Heheh absolutely, it's true that The Goretide is quite expensive but then again, the more you you fill up Slaughterborn the more cascading the effect becomes, which is why I like the cost investment involved.

The way I see these Battalions is that they do indeed need each other but that translates into them being 60 point Battalions, which in my opinion is worth the effort. As the whole force moves up D6" and all units within 12" of the General will have something to do AND the General can get deep into there with Aqshy's Bane.

In any case, the way I see it is that there are more good Battalions as bad ones :P I do agree that Red Headsmen is not my cup of tea either. Though for Narrative reasons I completely understand why some Battalions are just fluffy or something like that. 

Archived