Nighthaunts Army

Mengel Miniatures

Hi,

I recently decided to start a Vanguard army of Nighthaunts for my half of a team tourney. Here's my list:

Leaders
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Tomb Banshee (80)

Units
Spirit Hosts x 3 (120)
Spirit Hosts x 3 (120)
Hexwraiths x 5 (160)

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

Total: 1000/2000

Once that lot is painted I will be deciding how I will expand it. I kind of want to keep it pure Nighthaunt, but that's pretty restrictive. Here are 3 lists I came up with for that though:

Leaders
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)

Units
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Hexwraiths x 10 (320)
Spirit Hosts x 3 (120)

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)
Mourngul (400)

Total: 2000/2000

This one's tough but 2 Mournguls is a bit much.

Leaders
Black Coach (120)
- General
- Trait: Master of the Black Arts
- Artefact: Sword of Unholy Power
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Tomb Banshee (80)

Units
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Hexwraiths x 10 (320)
Morghast Archai x 2 (240)

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

Total: 2000/2000

This one adds in a Black Coach, makes them the general and gives them the command ability that makes them a wizard and the sword of summoning. The Morghast would be in my summoning pool so I don't break my allegiance. This list obviously doesn't work if the abilities and artifacts are generated randomly. I do like the Morghast models though and it gives me a good reason to include a Black Coach too.

Leaders
Black Coach (120)
- General
- Trait: Master of the Black Arts
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)

Units
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Hexwraiths x 5 (160)

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

Total: 1980/2000

This list ditches the Morghast angle of it, but the only other way I can get up to 2,000 is with 48 Spirit Hosts. Anything else leaves me at 1,900 and I'm already maxed on heroes. They idea of building and painting 48 Spirit Hosts just doesn't appeal to me, plus it seems like it would be fairly boring to play.

And here's a list breaking allegiance:

Leaders
Vampire Lord (140)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Tomb Banshee (80)

Units
Spirit Hosts x 3 (120)
Spirit Hosts x 3 (120)
Hexwraiths x 5 (160)
Morghast Archai x 4 (480)
Zombies x 10 (60)
Zombies x 10 (60)
Zombies x 10 (60)
Mortis Engine x 1 (180)

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

Total: 1980/2000

The idea is that the Vampire is kind of a loner and just has his Morghast bodyguard, his sidekick Necromancer (the mortis engine), and everything else is "summoned" (not summoned in game, just the idea that he has no real standing army)

I'm less thrilled about this list.

What is everyone's thoughts? Should I keep it pure Nighthaunt or branch out. Double Mourngul or Black Coach. I rather like the list with the summoning Morghast but again the relies on me being able to pick my traits, otherwise nothing in my army summons.

I am curious for your reasons to using the hexwraiths in units of 10.

I'd much prefer them in units of five, I think it makes them easier to maneuver and keep out of combats.

Other than that, I think you are pretty much doing the best with the little options Nighthaunt get.

I am a bit invested in them myself, really hoping they develope into something major, a bit as the Sylvaneth of Death. But right now, they are a bit lost, for all of their promise.

Death's subfactions are very weak right now, and only a grand alligeance death army can hope to win against Sylvaneth, Beastclaw, Stormcast, Skyre, etc.  

If you do not mind playing a very handicapped army, play what you will like to see on tabletop.

Death armies needs survivability in the form of healing, regerenation and 5++ ward save from Ruler of Night. Spirit hosts' mortal wounds attack will not be enough if your opponent gives penalty to your hits such as Thundertasks. Also ethereal rule does not protect you against high number of attacks without rending such as Brettonia's peasent bowmen or savage ork archers. 

We need a combined arms effort until death gets an updated subfaction book.

I hope you will enjoy your army whichever way you choose.

16 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

I am curious for your reasons to using the hexwraiths in units of 10.

I'd much prefer them in units of five, I think it makes them easier to maneuver and keep out of combats.

Yeah, no real reason, I would probably run them in 2 units. Was looking more at quantity of models I guess. 

5 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

There's no real benefit to running your Spirit Hosts in 6s or your Hexwraiths in 10s here, as there's nothing that's giving buffs out to squads and they gain no bonuses for having more models in a squad. Breaking them down means they can cover more ground.

True, I would probably break them down smaller, again it was more just counting number of models and point rather then unit sizes. The only bonus would be if I either take the command ability that makes my hero a wizard, or take a mixed force with a wizard, then there's Mystic Shield.

I've played a few games with the faction, I think the main issue is that you're really relying on the Mourngul for everything. It's all anvil aside from him, and you'll get your special characters sniped with mortal wounds most of the time since. Giving someone the 5+ death save general's ability and having them near the Mourngul is a great way to not make friends though. 

Leaders
Tomb Banshee (80)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)

Units
Spirit Hosts x 3 (120)
Spirit Hosts x 3 (120)
Hexwraiths x 5 (160)

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

Total: 1000/1000

Probably my favorite part of playing Nighthaunt is telling people it doesn't matter what their rend is.

Archived