Future of Free Peoples/Order humans

Warboss Gorbolg

I've been tempted by Free Peoples a number of times during the last few weeks, but won't take the plunge because I fear that the human factions are due for a major overhaul to make them more unique to AoS.  I realize that no one probably knows where GW is heading in this regard, but what are your thoughts?

Are the current Free Peoples doomed to be a static faction that gets replaced by a new line of post-apocalypse humans?  Is Steam punk in their future in an attempt to make humans more unique?  Where do you think it is heading?

I am a big fan of the Freepeoples and the old Empire range makes up the majority of Order army. I have resigned to the fact that they will be updated with a new look eventually and I am fine with that because I already have enough and it will be nice to finish my collection.

I don't know which direction they will take, but one thing I am certain of (and in many ways the saddest about) is that the scale will be increased. I see all the knew humans coming on 32mm bases. Look at the Silver Tower humans and the Blood Bowl human team for examples. It makes me sad because GW have produced some amazing 25mm bases infantry kits for 40k in recent years (Skitarii and Genestealer Cults) so I know it could be done - but everything regarding humans in AoS so far points to a scale increase which means they'll probably look odd beside my midget Empire models.

But, saying all that if the models are cool I probably won't be able to resist xD - as AoS has a very mythic feel I am hoping something similar to ancient Greeks or maybe ancient Briton style barbarians - at the same time if you read the fluff around Greywater Fastness it sounds very steampunk - magicpunk, so who knows!?

I love the old Empire and Bretonnian armies. Lots of great figures there too. My main wish for the new Free People faction is for them to not become overly AoS-ified (if that is now a term) and to be something interesting and unique but at the same time down to Earth. Not looking forward to seeing giant, chunky Freeswords on Freehorses (which are probably some chunky griffon/dragon/horse hybrid) fighting for their Freelords in their new and shiny Freearmour (read: power armour). If they can avoid anything like that, I have high hopes... But they absolutely have to have magical lutes and a whole unit that is composed solely of 'lads' from the local tavern that fight with a zen-like 'drunken-fist' style and are armed with an assortment of stat-enhancing brews.

In all seriousness though, I can imagine them being a mixture of units that have their roots in the various realms. Hopefully lots of diversity and options.

I'm an Empire player all the way back from 4th edition Warhammer, and my models definitely stand out in the new AoS theme. 

Much like the elves, I think you'll find humans will take on the look of the Realm that they were scattered in. Shyish humans who have lived with Vampires and even worship them will be very different barbarian / maurader type humans from the beast realm... 

I'll stick with the 28mm humans. To me, humans are the ultimate underdog. Humans shouldn't be able to defeat the evils of the world, however; through heroic feats and persistence.. we prevail 

On 12/14/2016 at 5:46 PM, bottle said:

...at the same time if you read the fluff around Greywater Fastness it sounds very steampunk - magicpunk, so who knows!?

Interesting.  Where can one find the fluff regarding Greywater Fastness?

On 12/16/2016 at 5:43 PM, MrCharisma said:

...Much like the elves, I think you'll find humans will take on the look of the Realm that they were scattered in. Shyish humans who have lived with Vampires and even worship them will be very different barbarian / maurader type humans from the beast realm... 

I thought this for a bit as well but struggle to imagine how it will be implemented.  I figure that we'll only get a couple of human factions and Devoted seem to be a good fit based on setting and IP.  Steampunk + current Free Peoples would resemble Privateer Press quite a bit, so I would like something a bit more original.

The idea of units from different realms would be interesting but I'd also like something to tie the theme together.   I never was a huge fan of Dogs of War look for an Army.

WTB a human faction release already!

Archived