Niall's Skaven Army Diary

Hi folks,

A lot of you will have seen the images below on Twitter or maybe on my alternative blogs.  I used to keep a fairly active blog on Ulthuan.net, however, I haven't painted a High Elf in months and may never do so again!  They're all still on squares and will likely stay like that.

The majority of my Skaven painting log can be found here on The Under Empire (All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight), but sadly The UE has suffered hugely with AoS/KoW & 9thA dropping.  So in the spirit of growing this fine forum here's my contribution and I'll continue to add to it!  

I've decided not to bother posting any of my old square base Skaven so this will focus only on the stuff I've re-based and new models I've painted.

For now it features only Skaven, but I may change that in time ;) 

My army is changing all the time, depending on what is put on the table.  I'm not a huge fan of Pestilens so am sticking mostly to Skryre at the moment.  This takes up so many SCGT pool points that there's not much room for much else!

For an upcoming tournament I'm planning on taking Thanquol, a Deceiver, a Rat Ogre unit and 2 Enginecovens. Not many models for Skaven!

My main issue with Skaven is that I don't actually enjoy moving dozens of rats, it was easier on the old movement trays but I don't feel AoS is great for masses of infantry.  Especially when you're lucky enough to win that second turn in a row!

Anyway I hope that the pictures don't come out too large and you like what you see.  I always appreciate tips!  I kind of wished I'd changed my basing to leave off snow... might alter that in the future.  The cobblestones are easy enough to do with green stuff and/or cork.

I'm rambling... look out for more updates in the future!

Included a 'scale creep' image for anyone's interest.  I love how massive the models are compared to the old days!  The Realmgates are pretty cool too :)

EDIT: Pictures removed...my damn PC keeps rotating them on upload! :(

EDIT2: Please let me know if the images aren't displaying correctly, I've had to rotate majority of them 90 degrees on my desktop to make them the correct way up on this and other forums lol.  Mad PC!

1.JPG2.JPG

3.JPG4.JPG

5.JPG7.jpg

8.JPG9.JPG

10.JPG11.JPG

12.JPG

6.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks.

...and now for something completely different.

Sometimes I need a break from rats - and this is one of my all time favourite GW miniatures. 

Back to my Chaos army soon :) 

PS Hope photos come out ok and not too big, just uploading directly from home and on some websites they come out huge! I'll check on desktop tomorrow.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've said it on UE, but I'll say it again over here: This is an amazing army. The bases look especially dope and the way you paint black areas on your stuff really stands out. Thanquol looks so good it's almost demotivating, knowing that I'll never be able to paint him up that well. Did you watch duncan's video for inspiration or did you try and figure out the right colours for yourself?

Man, this army is awesome! my first army was skaven, back in the 90's. It's always a pleasure to see the new models being painted really well and with TLC.

I don't know if you are asking for any advice or critique, and I don't want you to take this as critique at all. I would, however, make the green smoke grey at the ends. :)

Anyways, great job, cant wait to see more!

On 6/1/2016 at 1:29 PM, DaanofWar said:

I've said it on UE, but I'll say it again over here: This is an amazing army. The bases look especially dope and the way you paint black areas on your stuff really stands out. Thanquol looks so good it's almost demotivating, knowing that I'll never be able to paint him up that well. Did you watch duncan's video for inspiration or did you try and figure out the right colours for yourself?

Hi Daan, too kind!  I did indeed watch Duncan's videos. I borrowed a few techniques from the other videos too but Duncan's Thanquol is a great place to start!  

On 6/1/2016 at 7:36 PM, Lysandestolpe said:

Man, this army is awesome! my first army was skaven, back in the 90's. It's always a pleasure to see the new models being painted really well and with TLC.

I don't know if you are asking for any advice or critique, and I don't want you to take this as critique at all. I would, however, make the green smoke grey at the ends. :)

Anyways, great job, cant wait to see more!

I always appreciate critique so thanks for your comment :) The green smoke is actually grey but maybe I've not gone grey enough so there's not enough contrast?  I'll step it up next time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've started on my first unit of Stormvermin for my Verminus Clawpack - can't wait to get em on the field! 

Decided to do a quick airbrush with multiple colours (I get bored painting same colours for troops) before a wash. I kept the heads seperate so I could do the Ryza Rust stage on them easily but in hindsight they're not as 'closed' a pose as I initially thought. 

First game with them on Thursday so better get bases sort of some tomorrow!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've done this quite a few times, I've even got some Malifaux models that haven't had a normal brush touch them that are acceptable tabletop level (I'm talking just above primer/grey...but acceptable). I've got to start doing it again :)

• 1 month later...

Hello! It's been a long time since an update here...I've been busy but just very lazy posting updates. 

Currently working on another batch of filthy Stormfiends so I'm hoping to get them done before a local tournament at the Aberdeen GW on Saturday.

I've also added a second WLC to the army.  Great fun!

My horde is really starting to come together, you don't see it in the image but there's another 50+ Clanrats sitting to the side, 20 Plague Monks a Doomwheel, a Hellpit etc etc.  Plenty of choice :)

I cannot wait for the other Clan Battletomes!

Stormfiends.png

WLC.png

Army 1.png

Archived