Direction of Death

Beast

Hello all,

I've recently decided to build an Age of Sigmar army and Death was only ever going to be my army of choice.  I was advised that 'Start Collecting!' boxes were great value and an ideal place to start. So I grabbed all three and some Morghasts because I'm an impulse buyer who loves models. Now the issue I face is that my army lacks direction, I have bits and pieces of stuff but synergy really does seem like what Death has going for it. 

I have limited time at the moment and I would ideally want to use my time off at christmas to assemble and paint a workable army. So I don't want to assemble and paint anything I'm not going to use for the time being.

So I turn to you guys, where can I go from here? I realise I will likely need to choose between Deathrattle or Flesh Eater and of the two I prefer Deathrattle aesthetically but Flesh Eater seems more powerful? 

I should note one of my playgroups gets pretty competitive so I might need to transition into a tougher list down the line (seems to be FEC with AGKoZD and multiple Terrorgheist/Zombie Dragons?)

One idea I had was to have a low model count army using Mannfred, VLoZD, Morghasts, Mortis Engine and a Mourngul likely with Zombies as filler. Thoughts?

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help, I look forward to hearing suggestions!

Regards, Beast. 

As it stands now, Flesh Eater Courts is going to be your go-to choice for a competetive, easy to make army. They have all the tricks and tools in their toolset, and no faffing about trying to make decent stuff across 5+ factions. It helps that you can collect most of the stuff through Start Collecting! boxes.

Pure deathrattle looks cool, but lacks a lot of variety and power. It's not where it needs to be if your local group is powergaming.

I generally recommend people to collect what they feel is coolest. But since you want a gaming focus and have limited time, I'd go for the FEC. Check a few of the recent tournaments for top-tier list inspiration. @Ben Johnson Has had some solid sucess with his FEC.

Thanks.  I guess another Start Collecting! box for Flesh Eaters. Then playtest and adjust to taste. Appreciated. 

I guess FEC will be for my tougher play group and the other models will be for my fluffy playgroup, who can decide between a tough painted list or a soft undercoated mass of randomness.  

If anybody has some funky lists with the Start Collecting! boxes they could suggest I'd love to hear them! (helps motivate me to paint the grey tide once FEC is done).

I'll be sure to post my progress, both painting and on the tabletop!

Regards, Beast. 

Imo Death is at its full power when played as a grand alliance, meaning you have to take from all factions.

I tried VLoZD and Blood Knights to good effect with a skeletal(*) crew of zombies to act as battle line. I recently tried Mannfred in 3 games and saw his contribute to the army. In my experience, these fast, healing and regerenating models with 5++ FNP is the go to strategy for Death. 

Flesh Eater starter set is a good buy for Vargheists and VLoZD model. 

You can use Morghasts to a quite good effect with this type of army too.

I hope that Death will get a good armybook in the same power level with the top armies soon,

My list I'm thinking about is a VLoZD with Arkhan, 3×10. Skellies, Some Archai, then summoning to fill in the blanks and gaps. 

Summon bats to help with ranged, harbingers for that sweet 18" summon range + 3d6 charge range to take out heroes. Summon Spirit Hosts to tie up high rend guys. Plus the VLoZD CA gives them MW on 5+. Summon banshee and Wraiths for hero support.

I like the idea of the mixed alliance for now until allegiance abilities come out...plus I hate how monotone all the FEC look.

I've had really good success with using Necromancers, Liche Priests, VLoF, VLoTG and even Settra buffing a maxed block of Spear Skeletons. At minimum, VLoF and a Necro will allow 40 skellies to have 4 attacks, twice a turn, hitting and wounding on 4's with a 5+ WS for only 580 points all told. Then take 30 or 40 zombies to camp an objective and fill the rest to taste. The only big drawback is that you're going to have to build and paint around 100 models, and FEC or not that can be tedious.

Archived