Fyreslayers

Veterannoob

A couple of questions, fellow Fyreslayers:

- I have purchased a second box of Vulkite Berzerkers. I'm a huge fan of the dual axe assembly, but the shield/ pick configuration temps me. What are your preferences? HOw do they perform in battle for you?

- What do you think of the Doomseeker? Is it a worthy replacement to the Grimwrath? Looking at its warscroll I cannot find a role for it in our army.

I have limited playing experience with my fyreslayers, spending most time painting and putting the Fyrd together.

But regarding the vulkites I dont think you can go wrong, all three options are ok, no option is clearly better than the others. I have actually assembled one of each just to make it easier not to mix the units together on the battlefield. But that being said the shield guys are really tanky if you go for the forgebrethren and a battlesmith anf the double handaxe guys hit harder (when you dont throw the shields) so it depends what you want to do with them.

The Doomseeker should stay in the silver tower i think (if he isnt really nicely painted).

The thing with Slingshields is that the improved save and the chance to do mortal wounds sounds cool, but the benefits of rerolling to hit are enormous in AoS: In a recent game my 10 vulkite with double axe were locked in combat against three Fiends of Slaanesh and their -1 to hit aura. Being able to reroll to hit really made the difference in that combat and I hacked them to pieces in two rounds.

Since the berzerker in me is screaming "Go double axe"!!! I'll assemble this box that way and I'll leave the Shields for the next batch of Vulkites. Thanks for your opinions.

Absolutly they hit 25% ... sorry 50% more and it makes a difference.

The shieldguys save 36% more with the battlesmith so it depends on if you want to use them as a hammer or an anvil.

In some situation the difference are greater, for example if you come up against hit roll debuffs or if you use save buffs.

But you should always follow the berzerker in you.

On 2016-07-09 at 8:55 PM, Lord Veshnakar said:

Honestly the Grimwrath Berzerker is likely in the running for the best unit at our disposal if you are running Mono-Fyreslayers. I currently take 2-3 of them in my list and they completely wreck things.

I did a mathhammer comparing 2 Grimwrath berserkers against 10 Hearthguard Bezerkers just because that is what I would need to chose between in my 2000p list. I am just leaving it here:

• Against 5+ save:
  • 10 HG with Broadaxe = 7.4 wounds
  • 10 HG with Poleaxe = 6.7 wounds
  • 2 GB = 8.9 wounds

• Against 4+ save:
  • 10 HG with Broadaxe = 5.9 wounds
  • 10 HG with Poleaxe = 6.1 wounds
  • 2 GB = 6.6 wounds

• Against 3+ save:
  • 10 HG with Broadaxe = 4.4 wounds
  • 10 HG with Poleaxe = 5.5 wounds
  • 2 GB = 4.6 wounds

I think they are quite similar i defence if you add everything up. Then GB can get some magic weapons and HG are better on capturing objectives. So I don't know, on paper it seems like a toss up what you take i.e. you use the rule of cool. :-)

And just to have the VB with double weapons for reference:

• 10 VB with double weapon:
  • Against 5+ save: 6.7
  • Against 4+ save: 5.0
  • Against 3+ save: 3.3

PS: I have to much time at work now with vacations coming up. :-)

Another question for the faithful of Grimnir: Do you think our Throwing Axes to be useful? Not only in terms of killing power, but also for their psychological effect on the opponent. Many of my opponents tend to overestimate the power of my shooting attacks and that leads them to be overcautious or even make tactical mistakes by refusing to charge.

I love our nerf axes because they sometimes do that final wound or 3 needed to take someone down. The threat is minimal to my opponents usually, who forget or don't care we have the nerf, in my experience, but every little bit helps :) So the battalion allowing double nerf shooting doesn't really appeal to me.

But you already have the units (because of battleline requrements) so for 40p shouldnt you allways take it just for the extra magic artefact and the choice to have fewer drops. I would take it if the formation didnt do anything at all.

Archived