Arming 6 gore gruntas?

Gorsk

Has anyone tried mixing up the weapons on a unit of 6 gore gruntas?  

I am thinking of giving two of the boys jagged gore hackas and running them on the ends of the line while the 4 inside boys have pig iron choppas.  I'm wondering how often the extra 1" range is more useful than the +1 to hit given the model size.

"A unit of gore-gruntas has 3 or more models. the riders of some units are armed with pig iron choppas, where as others are armed with Jagged gore hackas."

This means if you want to run them as a unit of 6, they must all have the same weapon load out. With how big the bases are, i don't think you would gain a whole lot out of the jagged gore hackas other than them looking incredibly cool. 

Just my 2 cents. Haven't run any more than 3 myself and I use the Pig iron choppas on mine. 

Just now, Gorsk said:

Bah!  That's what I get for trying to look at a pdf while at work.  Those jgh's look so much better on the pig riders. 

:(

They really do. To be honest, if you are playing Goregruntas, you never are going to take them to do damage. They simply just suck at killing things. What they have going for them is speed and their wounds per model. I doubt you would ever find yourself losing a game because you took JGH over the PIC. 
You might lose a game for taking gore gruntas over brutes or ardboys though lol. 

Might as well take what looks coolest with these models. 

Just give them choppers, to be honest with their mobility it isn't worth the accuacy trade off and you take a huge stack of these guys either to deliver a large volume of attacks on a flank or to stall an advance of a particlarly nasty move. Either way these guys will be great at it.

Just if they aren't picking their engagements, they aren't doing their job properly

On 12/2/2016 at 1:46 PM, Gorsk said:

Bah!  That's what I get for trying to look at a pdf while at work.  Those jgh's look so much better on the pig riders. 

:(

really? because I think the pig iron choppas are way better, I always run my boar riders in units of 3 and since you have to be .5" away for a charge to be succsessful I never see a situation as to when the JGH would be better, unless you just mean model wise, but I also think the swords and axes have their own charm.

11 hours ago, Lord Biscuit said:

Just give them choppers, to be honest with their mobility it isn't worth the accuacy trade off and you take a huge stack of these guys either to deliver a large volume of attacks on a flank or to stall an advance of a particlarly nasty move. Either way these guys will be great at it.

Just if they aren't picking their engagements, they aren't doing their job properly

It's a 50℅ chance to hit vs a 66℅ chance to hit with 3 or 4 attacks per model. 

With 3 attacks it is 1.99 hits vs 1.5 hits. Not exactly a massive difference here. 

2 hours ago, flindo said:

really? because I think the pig iron choppas are way better, I always run my boar riders in units of 3 and since you have to be .5" away for a charge to be succsessful I never see a situation as to when the JGH would be better, unless you just mean model wise, but I also think the swords and axes have their own charm.

There could be situations where with your pile in has you just out of range to attack. With a unit of 6, this is more likely to happen so the 2 inch reach could be useful. Also if the target you want to hit is behind a screen if models, you could be within 2 inches to reach them when you finish your charge. 

These models are just plain bad compared to the other choices. If you try to min max then, you might as well drop them in favour of something else.  

Ok, so rules aside (we can all agree they suck I'm sure) these are some sweet looking models and IMO that is reason enough for me to include them in my tournament lists. They have an important job when it comes to best painted judging/votes as they are fantastic, big models that break up the monotony of what is an infantry army.

Choppas are definitely better in game, which led me to equip my first 3 with them. However the Jagged Gore-hackas do look much much cooler, so given the above it could be argued that you'd just go with what looks best if aesthetics are their main purpose and the fact they do no damage anyway. For my second 3 I made a few swaps from other kits, but wanted them to still have Choppas in game. That said I gave one a Jagged Gore-hacka just for variance (will count as a chopper in game).

I think for my final 3 (If I ever paint or dare to field 9) I would probably just give them Jagged Gore-hackas and be done with it. In fact I'd probably do 1 of those 3 with a Choppa and switch it for the Jagged Gore-hacka in the second unit at that point so there was no confusion (2x 3 w/ Choppas, 1x 3 w/ Jagged Gore-hackas).

Sorry, kinda just talking to myself there!! :S 

6 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Slightly off topic but do you guys think a gruntas mounted Megaboss, with the same reroll buff but only for gruntas, could make them more viable rules wise?

Yeh defo...there was a wishlisting topic a while back and a Grunta mounted Megaboss is right up there for me (behind Brutes with heavy siege crossbows...think Rugluuds Armoured Orcs turned up to 11!).

Not only would it be an awesome model but it could have various buffs to fix Gore-gruntas - ie he could make them do D3 damage if you roll 8+ on the charge dice, as opposed to the frankly absurd rule they have at present.

10 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

(behind Brutes with heavy siege crossbows...think Rugluuds Armoured Orcs turned up to 11!).

That sounds absolutely amazing and would probably really fith the AoS aesthetic.

Or even cross bow gore gruntas (think Dracoth Tempestors) for some super mobile supportive fire.

Leave my goregruntas alone they are awesome and while their charge rule is stupid (should be d3 if they ever roll a 8 or more), the fact they are 20-40 points overcosted (at least), they may only do something one in every 6 games (at best) 

still love em!!

There is a way of using 6 at once if you stager them a little or have 4 in front 2 in the rear where you would need the 2" range but otherwise choppas all day :-)

Archived