"Punchy" Nurgle 1000pts?

Splitbristle

Just looking for a few tips to improve the hitting power of my current list (mainly to deal with @Chrisdanish 's Stormcast. :) )

This is what I'm currently running:

Leaders
Herald Of Nurgle (100)
Lord of Plagues (100)
Rotbringers Sorcerer (100)

Units
Plague Drones Of Nurgle x 3 (220)
Plaguebearers Of Nurgle x 10 (100)
Beasts Of Nurgle x 3 (180)
Nurglings x 3 (80)
Chaos Marauders x 20 (120)

That's mostly based off the starter box and what I had lying about (Marauders).

Keeping it at 1000pts what would work better to deal more damage? I've got another 3 Plague Drones to paint, and have been pondering Blightkings or Chosen. I'd even consider some Skaven!

13 minutes ago, Maddok said:

Drones are great, but they need a demon hero nearby to keep their locus activated. They need that to ensure their damage output stays strong. Do you have plague claw catapults? Theyre quite good as well 

Yeah I think keeping the Herald close enough to stuff is something I need to work on!

Have been tempted by the catapults, definitely something to ponder - thanks!

3 hours ago, Maddok said:

Demon Princes of nurgle can fill that role too. 3+ save on 8 wounds is nice, especially for 160 points. Solid damage output too

Thanks, for that amount of points thats definitely an option! And I think I've found a model to suit that purpose too ;)

16 minutes ago, Chrisdanish said:

Don't encourage him!

You just need some new eBay dice.

Hahah yeah there is that, maybe Santa will be nice and bring me some lucky dice. Ones that let me win initiative once in a while.

I wouldn't say this list is 'punchy', but still as punchy or more than the list you posted originally:

• Great Unclean One (Leader, Behemoth)
  • Herald of Nurgle (Leader)
  • Plague Drones of Nurgle
  • Nurglings
  • Beast of Nurgle
  • Plaguebearers of Nurgle (Battleline)
  • Plaguebearers of Nurgle (Battleline)
  • Warscroll Battalion - Tallyband of Nurgle

For 1000pts you get the battallion and it can be quite hard to remove, and the Great Unclean One and the Drones are fairly punchy.

Nurgle isn't exactly a killy army, they're more "grind you down because we're impossible to kill". Personally I find the GUO to be extremely good in combat, but his slow speed makes him easy to get caught out by a quick chaff unit or monster hunting squad. However, when he gets to swing, he almost always removes things. 

Have you looked at mortal Nurgle things? Knights with the Mark of Nurgle might make a good fast, killy addition to the army (though they are relatively expensive).

• 2 weeks later...

For my 1000 point list, I'm planning on running: 

• Harbinger of Decay (140)
  • Mounted Chaos Sorcerer Lord (140)
  • Be'lakor (240)
  • 5 Blightkings (180)
  • 10 Chaos Marauders (60)
  • 10 Chaos Warriors (180)
  • 5 Chaos Furies (60)

This gives me some high mobility (Bel'akor and Furies), 3 heroes for Three Places of Power, gives me a meaty defensive unit (Chaos warriors with extra 5+ ward save), lots of casting (3 spells per round between Bel'akor and Sorc) and a non-named general for a command ability (extra +1 to hit vs. Order).   The Blightkings will help with mass weak troops (from exploding hits, modified by +hit from Chaos allegiance and command abilities).  Furies can be summonable or not but they have the high mobility (12") with flight.  Finally, this gives me a tank high wound model that has a 4+ that is immune to rend and can even gain +1 from cover (since not a monster).  With buffs, he could go to a 2+ rend immune preroll 1s save and be 3+/3+/-2 with rerolling 1s to hit and wound at 2 damage each.

Archived