Building a Competitive Duardin List

hobgoblinclub

I'm planning to dig out my old dwarfs in preparation for the release of the Steamhead Duardin in the new year.

Whilst it's impossible to know what, if any, of the current range will be worth putting on the table after the book drops, I'm craving putting paint on dwarfs in the meantime.

I've barely played duardin in AoS yet. What are the best choices? What, do you think, will be worth adding to a list with new shiny toys in? Oh, and where can they get mortal wounds from, I can only see the flame cannon? 

Thanks in advance. 

I've been threatening to put together a Dispossessed tactica for months.

In brief:

• Don't worry about getting mortal wounds in a pure Dispossessed list, go one step better. Runelords are 80 points a piece and your only essential characters in a pure dwarf list are a lord/Warden King for his command ability and Grimm Burloksson to babysit warmachines, leaving your room to buy four Runelord and slap -4 rend on whatever large unit you fancy (usually a large unit of Quarallers with shooting twice with range 26" crossbows early on in the game, then melee stuff when you've forced the enemy into kneecapping range.
  • If you're looking at adding a few Dispossessed units to another army (again, no idea what the Steamheads will do or if they'll share the Dispossessed keyword) a unit or two of Dwarf Miners are a great place to start. They can deep strike 9" away from the enemy in the same way as stormcast units usually making the charge on the turn they appear if you carefully position them near a Reckless general, do solid melee damage, are hard to battleshock with a banner, and with a mining cart gain -2 rend short ranged missile attacks and have 13 wounds a unit - not bad for 120 points. Miners can work very well pretty much unsupported and are great for capping matched play objectives, threatening unattended missile units or just being a very painful speedbump.
  • With Longbeards' grumble ability allowing Dispossessed heroes who aren't your general to use command abilities it's possible to take an fairly self reliant mini-army of dwarfs as part of a larger order force consisting of a small unit of 10 Longbeards, a large unit of dwarf warriors and a Warden King or the much better and massively underpriced Ungrim Ironfist to buff them. You could even throw in a Runelord to get the warrior deathstar's rend down to -2 and give you a solid dispel if you really wanted to.
  • Dwarf artillery is very solid in AoS - crews being a separate 3 wound unit might seem like a huge disadvantage a first glance (believe me I'd much rather just have the warmachine at 7 wounds with the crew on the same base), but there are all kinds of shenanigans you can pull with them, from retreating the crew from a combat they're in to fire the warmachine back at the unit that charged them Buggs Bunny style, to victory points denial when an opponent shoots off the crew and then forgets to do anything about the machine.
  • The organ gun is a fantastically efficient, reasonably priced little warmachine. Two of them and and engineer (use the legacy Dwarf Engineer warscroll, he's 20 points less than a Cogsmith, better in melee and has a better save) comes in at 320 points and will do 8D6 rend -1 3+3+ shots together on most turns.

Let me know if there are any dwarf units you're especially keen to know the ins and outs of. I've not played many games using anything but Disposessed since AoS came out and would be happy to give my two cents on how they fare. :) 

If u want I can post my brother duardin list: he has 2 doubt about it but I think it perform pretty well

ungrim (100),general

engineer (80)

auric runesmiter (100)

runelord (80)

grimerath bezerker (100)

30 vulkite bezerkers (400) battle line

( tunneling)

-pike

2x10 warrior (200) battle line 

20 hammers (400)

2 flame cannon (400)

10 miners (120)

tot 1980

the doubt is no runelord and miners and one unit of 10 irondrakes

what do u think?:) i know its not mono dispossessed :(

Either i run a straight warriors, hammerers, breakers and drakes with belegar, burlokson and runelords, or i mix longbeards+ugrim and some slayers.

If you want killy, tho it wont have much sinergy, auric runefathers are though sobs.

Oh, and burlokson + flame cannon

5 minutes ago, Sadysaneto said:

Oh, and i prefer thuderers (10 atks 3/3/-1/1) over quarrelers (20 atks 4/4/-/1)

But nowadays i just run drakes + runelord. they bring the pain.

I much prefer the extra range and melee capacity available to Quarrellers over Thunderers (and even Irondrakes!) in AoS, and the lack of rend can easily be remedied by Runelords while you wait for your melee units to get to grips with the enemy but meh, dwarfs have been arguing into their ale over the comparative merits of Crossbowmen and Thunderers since the handgun was invented so each to their own. :) 

8 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

I much prefer the extra range and melee capacity available to Quarrellers over Thunderers (and even Irondrakes!) in AoS, and the lack of rend can easily be remedied by Runelords while you wait for your melee units to get to grips with the enemy but meh, dwarfs have been arguing into their ale over the comparative merits of Crossbowmen and Thunderers since the handgun was invented so each to their own. :) 

True, but drakes and thunderers get rend -2 and hit/wound on 3/3.

What makes drakes better, for me, it that once the cavalry/shooting gets to you, your stats remain the same. lose one quarreler/thunderer out of 20 and they sink.

Imo, ofc. :)

3 minutes ago, Sadysaneto said:

True, but drakes and thunderers get rend -2 and hit/wound on 3/3.

What makes drakes better, for me, it that once the cavalry/shooting gets to you, your stats remain the same. lose one quarreler/thunderer out of 20 and they sink.

Imo, ofc. :)

I like to run a block of 30 Quarrellers with Grimm as part of a Dispossessed Clan Throng battalion and chuck three Runelord's worth of rend on them. I value the extra range immensely because being guaranteed to shoot on turn one and having a longer range than enemy missile units is very important to me. 11 wounds is quite a lot for an opponent to chew through to get rid of double shots, but if I want to be on the safe side I screen them with a unit of 10 warriors and/or tease my opponent's ranged stuff away with much more achievably killed ranged nuisances like organ gun crew.

Gyrobombers are really useful for some extra mortal wound output and objective capturing. The compendium characters have a load of great command abilities that take advantage of the Longbeards ability. Slayers are worth a look too, as there easily buffed and when they die in combat they kick out Mortal Wounds

I think a big block of missile troops with extra rend seems the way to go (thunderers or quarrellers). 

My worry is that the new duardin don't have the dispossessed keyword (and I don't think they will). This'll mean an army using any older scrolls will have to play as two separate forces within one. I'm really trying to avoid this, as I want to take advantage of the new shiny Steamhead allegiance abilities. 

1 hour ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I think a big block of missile troops with extra rend seems the way to go (thunderers or quarrellers). 

My worry is that the new duardin don't have the dispossessed keyword (and I don't think they will). This'll mean an army using any older scrolls will have to play as two separate forces within one. I'm really trying to avoid this, as I want to take advantage of the new shiny Steamhead allegiance abilities. 

Like I said, if you're worried about warscrolls doing well independent of faction specific buffs, a unit or two of miners are great value objective cappers/speed bumps at only 120 points a go, and warmachines don't benefit from any Dispossessed specific abilities anyway. :) 

I wonder if any of the new Steamhead heroes will have the engineer keyword? It would offer up a bunch of new possibilities for Ironweld and Dwarf warmachines if they did... 9_9

1 hour ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I think there'll be some engineers in there and I'm sure there'll be opportunities for mixed duardin lists. I just can't wait to own a proper new style battletome, with proper allegiance abilities and cool battalions. 

Agreed, I'm really hoping the new Steamhead stuff either has the Dispossessed keyword, steals a bunch of existing suitable Dispossessed and Ironweld models (gyrocopter/bomber, Cogsmith, Irondrakes, cannon and organ gun?) the way Flesh-eater Courts got to with Beasts of the Grave or has a battalion that lets you include Dispossessed units ala Ironbark or Guardians of Alarielle.

11 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

What do you think about list i have posted?:)

It's a very hard hitting melee list, with enough deep striking stuff to counter it's slow speed and the low range of the Flame Cannons. I'd possibly look at swapping one of the flame cannons out for a regular cannon to save 20 points, giving you 40 to upgrade one of the warrior units to Longbeards, who will allow you to take advantage of Ungrim's command Ability without having to make him general, and instead making the Karl of the Vulkite unit your general and giving him the Reckless command trait to guarantee charges for the Vulkites and miners the turn they appear. :) 

2 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Thats fantastic but i dont know if i can put karl my general..where you have red it?;)

iKFvNJ4.jpg

Page 2 of the Age of Sigmar rules sheet. It doesn't specify that a model needs to be a hero to be your army general, and isn't contradicted anywhere in the rules for matched play army selection. :) 

4 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Agreed, I'm really hoping the new Steamhead stuff either has the Dispossessed keyword, steals a bunch of existing suitable Dispossessed and Ironweld models (gyrocopter/bomber, Cogsmith, Irondrakes, cannon and organ gun?) the way Flesh-eater Courts got to with Beasts of the Grave or has a battalion that lets you include Dispossessed units ala Ironbark or Guardians of Alarielle. 

I'd be stunned if they don't do this. The two gyros are surely nailed on to be part of this book. Thunderers as battleline would be nice too! 

39 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

iKFvNJ4.jpg

Page 2 of the Age of Sigmar rules sheet. It doesn't specify that a model needs to be a hero to be your army general, and isn't contradicted anywhere in the rules for matched play army selection. :) 

If you do this, you're no friend of mine. 

That's my updated list : 

ungrim (100),general

engineer (80)

auric runesmiter (100) ( artifact 3)

runelord (80)

grimerath bezerker (100)

30 vulkite bezerkers (400) battle line

( tunneling)

-pike

- Karl : General (command trait 3)

10 warriors (100) battle line 

10 longbeards (140) battleline