Royal Menagerie

NukeDoctor

Question

14 answers to this question

That's an interesting point, but I don't think it applies here. The Menagerie only has a requirement pertaining to "Zombie Dragon" and/or "Terrorgheist" (three of any). There is no requirement pertaining the "Ghoul King," as in the "Annointed" and "Phoenix" example. So, I think 3 Ghoul Kings in Zombie Dragon would fill, and in no way exceed the formation requirement.

I've got to disagree. The formation requirements are specifying exact unit names. I'm tempted by the formation myself but If i were to run it I'd just be taking the raw unit minus the rider as the unit name is totally different. 

@Chris Tomlin Didn't Ben Johnson run this formation recently? Any idea if he ran it with the riders or just the mounts all nakey?

There's an FAQ that specifies keywords can fulfil battalions - I believe using the Lord-celestant and Lord-celestant on Stardrake as an example (the Stardrake mounted dude still has the Lord-celestant keyword).

It's quite clear this is ok :) 

Myself, @Ben Johnson and I think Ben Smith (@?) have all used the battalion at events with riders on 1 or more (1 in my case) of the monsters.

48 minutes ago, jonwarmington said:

I did as well at Warfare - its about the keyword not title. The odd one is a vampire on Zombie dragon can in theory be taken URRRR

Well that is an unusual edge case haha. I'm happy to be proven wrong as it opens up a lot of options for the FEC now. Wicked!

I've got to disagree. The formation requirements are specifying exact unit names. I'm tempted by the formation myself but If i were to run it I'd just be taking the raw unit minus the rider as the unit name is totally different. 

The relevant FAQ answer specifies that requirements are always keywords, so as @Chris Tomlin said, this does work. It's a decent list, but model count is inevitably the problem (as are Wrathmongers). Ben Johnson did well with it. Now for the 2+ Cabbage formation (other than the one which is like 9,000 points).

On the subject, was Ben Johnson (I believe correctly) using the Warrior Brotherhood Lightning Strike+ Azyros as a set up rule (since it says "set up") - so FAQ page 2, middle left column (the most important answer in the entire FAQ) - no 3 inch restriction, triggers Gryph Hounds - rather than as a "move" - so FAQ page 2, middle right column  - subject to the 3 inch rule, doesn't trigger Gryph Hounds.

The wording (which could be clearer) saying "This is its move for that movement phase" means "This uses up the move for that movement phase" or "This is instead of the move for that movement phase" or "This counts as the move for that movement phase." - the point being that you can only charge after doing it (or attack if already within 3 inches). This is rather than creating a paradox where the ability is both a move and a setup (and thus not clear whether it triggers Gryph Hounds or whether it can deploy within 3 and probably a load of other chaos). I've not seen the Livestream yet.

Alternatively was this house ruled the other way for this event?

Thoughts?

The irony is that a menagerie means a collection of wild animals kept in captivity for exhibition.

By the reading of only keywords and having a Stardrake in Lord of the Storm Battalion is just disgusting.

If it is as open as you all say then why some Battalion goes thru the extra trouble of naming the variants? 

1 hour ago, gnaleinad said:

If it is as open as you all say then why some Battalion goes thru the extra trouble of naming the variants? 

I think it's because GW changed their approach mid-stream. In my opinion, the early battalions (e.g., in the Stormcast battletome) were written using warscroll names, but the later battalions (e.g., those in the post-GHB publications) have been written using warscroll keywords. Really, they should just use that fancy small-caps font when they refer to keywords (see most abilities), but inconsistency is to blame here.

The reason is that they are the older out of date ones. Moreover a Stardrake, even one that can deepstrike, is still overcosted. The Stardrake excels at clearing badly armoured units which isn't really needed. It does make a great tank/distraction piece, but you don't see many outside of Ben Johnson's tables. Frankly a Carmine Dragon is a better investment for Order and the Dread Saurian looks cheap.

@Nico

That's where you are mistaken. A Stardrake is an important assets in destroying Crews of Warmachines. 

Taking 2 Drakesworn and their Rain of Stars can do soooo much damage. But yes they cost a whopping 1000points.

Can even kill some single wound heroes if you are lucky. 

It is like a 16 wounds Warmachine that eat people. 

Below, you’ll find the top 5 army lists, and we’ll bring you more on these lists direct from the players themselves later this week and next week, starting with winner, Ben Johnson.

ben-johnson-header

Ben’s army comprises a single Warscroll Battalion – the ‘Warrior Brotherhood’. What’s great about this particular battalion is that it allows every unit to deploy using Lightening Strikes. This means you don’t need to set them up on the board and can instead deploy your army within 3″ of the enemy (it’s normally further away than this, but clever placement of the two Knight-Azyros models reduce this)! Paladins are super hitty and can smash most units in a single turn, but what makes them even more deadly is placing them on the board next to a Knight-Azyros and a Liberator squad. As part of the Warrior Brotherhood, this means they’ll get +1 Bravery and the ability to re-roll 1’s to wound.

Ben’s army works, then, by having two of these rock-hard attack wings – Knight-Azyros, Paladins and Liberators, allowing him to either attack two key places on the board at once or encircle and destroy a particular powerful enemy unit. So, if you’re planning on using the Warrior Brotherhood, make sure your Stormcast Eternals army has aKnight-Azyros in it.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/29/top-5-lists-from-blood-glory/

That pretty much settles the debate then. GW play it as a set up rule (notwithstanding wording like "it is there move for this turn" or "it counts as their move for this turn". This is useful for all other set up rules, some of which also have the ability to come in adjacent to models. Particularly useful as a hard counter to Fanatics.

Archived