Vargheists vs. Flayers

ElectricPaladin

2 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

I don't plan to use the same color for mordants and vampires, so that's not an option for me.

I prefer the FEC version so anyway I find it better cause you can change the head and the back freely. Moreover I think in future they'll do the same trick about FEC where they realised 4 units (+vargheiss) from a single one so...why not anticipate it? It's a bit of work but really helping. At least I think it's more budget friendly in any case. About colours I don't think it's a problem anyway^^ 

but it's also true that I'm a magnets addicted one^^

Vargheists do more Damage and are more reliable to Hit, plus they can chuck out a fair few attacks with their extra attacks for slaying a model. Against trash infantry they can just tear through things.

Crypt Flayers have a ranged attack which in practice never does anything, but can throw out Mortal Wounds which makes them a nice compromise between something like a Vargheist, and something like a Spirit Host. As part of an FEC army they'll benefit massively from the synergy of that book, whereas the Vargheist has no real synergy benefits I can think of that the Flayers wouldn't have access to.

Personally I'd go for Vargheists unless you have a means to buff the Hit roll of the Flayers.

Hi I just went to my first ever tornement blood and glory and have a unit of 6 flayers by far my best unit Killin almost anything in there path. I had a necromancers and a vampire lord on zombie dragon too. If u use the Lords command ability on them to re-roll all hits. And the necromancer spell they become almost unstoppable. 6 maneaters and arachnarok and lost 2 flayers after killing both and then brought both back. Flayers all the way :)  

26 minutes ago, Oppenheimer said:

Strange to keep Morgasts as summonable and remove them.

Nah, it makes sense to me. Morghasts are weird spirits bound by necromancy, so it makes sense that you can call them up. Vargheists are vampires who have completely lost their ******. You can't summon a vampire lord or a unit of blood knights, either.

Varghesits should have healing and regeranation rules to become competitive and according to fluff they are bestial vampires not so different from Bloodknights.

Yeah it bothers me even though they still seem worth the points haha. Them getting an extra attack if you roll a 6 after slaying a model Seems bizzare as well, rather than either making it on a 6 to hit or wound or make it more likely after slaying a model. Again, I don't think they are at all bad but it's just a weird Warscroll

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last night in a game vs High Elves i put my vargheists in my list first time after a long time.My list was:

VLoZD -Ring- Ruler of Night

GKoT

Blood Knights 2x5

Spirit Host 1x6

Vargheists 1x3

Zombies 3x10

My opponent brought

Teclis

Shooty named hero

Phoenix Warriors 1x30

Shadow Warriors 1x10

Ellyrian Reavers 2x5

High Elf Spearmen

Bolt Throwers x4

I gave him the first turn, he concentrated his fire on my left flank vargheists and right flank Blood Knights. 1 vargheist was dead and one another with 1 wound. In the other flank 3 of my Blood Knights were dead. He cast tempest spell to my spirit host halving their movement. In my turn i ran with all my units, my two behemoths at the center of my army. I cast defensive spells on my behemoths. He won the second turn, killing one other vargheist and wounding a Blood knight but nothing major elsewhere. He charged with his reavers to my wounded knights but i passed all my 3+ saves against non-rending attacks. I butchered his reavers in return. In my turn i charged to his weak flank where the phoenix warrior was no deployed with two behemoths, lone vargheist and regeranting blood knights. I deployed my other units in front of his phoenix warriors d defensively while summoning a dire wolf unit in front of pw as screen. I destroyed his remaning reavers, bolt thrower, shadow warriors and shooty hero without taking a wound. When i won the next turn, my opponent conceded.

My opponent's list was not so powerful, fully defensive and unpreapared for my fast hitting army. My vargheists had done their job taking all the hits for me by being a major threat for his bolt throwers. The lone varghesit killed one bolt thrower crew and was motm in my eyes, altough my two behemeoths and blood knights performed very well

Archived