Ellyrian Reavers - awesome battleline?

Double Misfire

o2Tkh2P.png

The title says it all.

At 160 points a go these guys are crazy fast at grabbing objectives, put out 15 4+/4+ shots with a unit of five, can move 2D6 in the shooting phase allowing for all kinds of crazy shenanigans,  are semi-decent in melee at a pinch, and have gorgeous models to boot. I never hear them talked about, and feel that they can potentially adequately fill more roles than pretty much any other other batteline choice available to Order in the game. I'm thinking about grabbing and painting up a unit to see how they do alongside my dwarf/Freeguild force. Does anyone have any experiences with them or strong feelings about them?

because for 160 pts you can get a unit of Judicators which are more survivable  (3+ save in cover 2 wounds each), longer range on the bows, have a -1 rend, hit and wound on 3's and have the spcial bow for d6 wounds which overall statistically will be more damage than 15 shots hitting on 4s and wounding on 4s (4 wounds with no rend). 

7 minutes ago, AlexHarrison said:

because for 160 pts you can get a unit of Judicators which are more survivable  (3+ save in cover 2 wounds each), longer range on the bows, have a -1 rend, hit and wound on 3's and have the spcial bow for d6 wounds which overall statistically will be more damage than 15 shots hitting on 4s and wounding on 4s (4 wounds with no rend). 

Granted, but if the name of the game is grabbing objectives and the rest of your list isn't particularly fast movement 5 and choosing not to run isn't going to work miracles; I never said Ellyrian Reavers filled the same role as Judicators, comparing the two is like comparing Pink Horrors and Plaguebearers.

Also your comment about range is irrelevant because Ellyrian Reavers can move within range before shooting anything and normally manage to move back out after you've shot. Their mathhammer 2.3 wounds against a target with a 4+ save isn't half bad compared to a unit of Judicators' 3.4 isn't a half bad trade when you factor in their insane mobility and ability to beat up light units in melee. :P 

Ok well lets put it into a better perspective. The unit is fast, but fragile, and as stated the aim of the game is to grab objectives, perhaps in some cases later in the game. The issue being is this unit will most likely be dead by the tim is it required to move far due to its lack of a decent armour save. 160 poins for 5+ 10 wounds isnt anything special but yes the speed is very useful for grabbing an objective for a turn (not being able to move 2d6 away now youre sitting on an objective) and the damage output is mitigatable be the fact that, as stated, they are causing very little damage (youve mentioned a 4+ save as an example). This means that, whilst securing an objective from afar is all well and good, they arn't really doing much else during the time before moving onto the objective i.e. lack of shooting and combat

To me, when deciding on whether I want to take a unit, Id compare its values throughout the entirity of the game. 3 places of power, where they cant score, they just don't pump out much damage at all. Just my thoughts!

True, but a lot of units suddenly become rubbish in Places of Power, it's a large part of the scenario's charm. Surely the in five other matched play battleplans a spare unit of reavers that an opponent's previously passed on attacking over units with a higher damage output could quickly win jump on a distant objective your opponent had moved models off, thinking it was safe, or had the units guarding it wiped out by artillery, potentially securing a major victory.

True. I agree that I wouldn't give them the time of day if they didn't fill a battleline slot, but can that not be argued for most battleline choices? I'm not too sure even Judicators would get a look in if they had to compete with javelin Prosecutors or even Hellstorm Rocket Batteries for the job. Plus Ellyrian Reavers can do a reasonable amount of ranged damage (imo) while the wait for the right moment to grab an objective. They might also act as a decent psychological deterrent in the matched play battleplans that allow players to continue to control objectives their models have moved away from and keep enemy units sat on them and away from getting into combat with my stuff.

Like I said in the OP, I'm quite keen to experiment with them and then report back when they turn out to be rubbish. :) 

I bought 5 to try with my dwarf and empire army for some more speed. I was also looking at Pegasus knights. The big issue I have been finding is that the newer armies tend to be less horde based for good and bad. It means they have a much harder time with objectives but they can also be really difficult to bring down. I would say they seem pretty solid as skirmishers, being VERY mobile and decent in melee, but they also would do much less against big monster units with high saves. But that just means know your enemy, so if you are against bigger monsters then switch these out for other ranged cavalry (I would probably switch them for my outriders and save 20 points.) 

I am learning that AoS is all about flexibility, so having list variation is nice and these fit the bill.  

I'll try to update when I use them a couple times. 

I will say in my last Free Guild game I lost because I did not have fast enough units to contest objectives, so something like this would be nice. 

A couple of people play them at our club, they don't seem to do a huge amount. The 4's and 4's can mean they don't get a lot of hits and as others have said they can go down pretty easily.

I think if they had some buffs to their hit and or wound roll they would be much more effective - but don't know a huge amount about order and where their biffs come from

Archived