FEC or DEATHRATTLE......HELP!

Dracothjay

Dracothjay     49

• Dracothjay
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Guys, I'm seriously struggling to decide what I want to start. I like the look of death, the horde style army has me interested.

ive done tonnes of research and love both deathrattle and FEC. I'm struggling to decide which I want to go with. 

FEC reasons:

Pro's - they are easy to collect and paint. Straight forward synergy (too an extent) and looks as if they can be crazy good in combat.

cons - not really into the ghoul look, but it's something I could get over. Also, not a lot of variety, but I think that can also make things more simple.

DEATHRATTLE reasons:

Pro's - love the look, synergies and unit selections. Easy to paint and get a real death feel from them.

cons - majority of units are sold seperately which makes the bank take a battering. Not as scary in combat as their cousin sub faction FEC. (To my belief)

either way, I NEED your help on deciding. I play aggressively with all of my other armies so what would better suite me?

as I final  note, I swing more towards DEATHRATTLE, but as majority of units are sold seperatly that's the only thing that puts me off.

thanks.

I'm in the same boat, FEC have cool rules and are the most supported with formations but I'm not into the general aesthetic.

The skeleton bases hoard death looks cool but expensive. If skeletons were sold in 20s even that would help. In combat they can be quite good, 3 attacks each if you take 30 or more, +1 to hit if a nearby hero. Can get +1 attack from the command of either the vampire lord or Wight king. Necromancer spell can make them pile in and attack twice as well.

Ends up being a lot of damage to deal with, but at the moment you are looking at 6 boxes of skeletons (and I'm in Australia so nothing is cheap...)

I haven't been able to come up with a 2k list that really grabbed me. I love arkhan and the morghasts, as well as spirit hosts. But when I have all those in I don't have room for any of the awesome elite vampire stuff which is a shame.

Look forward to seeing what people suggest.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, MidasKiss said:

I'm in the same boat, FEC have cool rules and are the most supported with formations but I'm not into the general aesthetic.

The skeleton bases hoard death looks cool but expensive. If skeletons were sold in 20s even that would help. In combat they can be quite good, 3 attacks each if you take 30 or more, +1 to hit if a nearby hero. Can get +1 attack from the command of either the vampire lord or Wight king. Necromancer spell can make them pile in and attack twice as well.

Ends up being a lot of damage to deal with, but at the moment you are looking at 6 boxes of skeletons (and I'm in Australia so nothing is cheap...)

I haven't been able to come up with a 2k list that really grabbed me. I love arkhan and the morghasts, as well as spirit hosts. But when I have all those in I don't have room for any of the awesome elite vampire stuff which is a shame.

Look forward to seeing what people suggest.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Old skeletons were sold in 20 models bos^^ They're not awesome as the new ones, but it should still be possibile to find them.

I like to play a mix of FEC and general death units. FEC army surely is awesome, but miss a lot about mass and rending so I prefer mixing.

About Skeletonsin the years I built up some tons of them so I never felt pressed, recently putting a bit of order in them I was starting being shocked about the amount of them I have. In an open game if I summon really I don't need to think about the amount of it I move around.

I seriously suggest you to buy zombies, skeletons and ghouls from Mantic's Kings of War range. Not only they are extremely cheaper than GW's, they are ver extremely nicer looking (imo), and their plastic quality is very good. I have no idea with their non plastic range of models but the newly sculpted plastic ones are very good and cheap, i have hundreds of zombies, 60 of skeletons, 20 ghouls from them.

They are selled 20 models in boxes.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/undead.html

Now tey have tomb kings equivalent too:

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/empire-of-dust.html

Skeletons came with spears and hand weapons alternatives but sadly not with 20 for spears ( 14-15 spearmen can be made in one box, or a maximum of 20 hand weapons) )each of them, but since skeleton units to fill the battleline requirement have generally 10 models, hand weapons are far more efficient for them, so this is no problem.

Internet shops such as wayland makes discounts for them for less shopping cost. All in all they are fantastic deal.

The only thing with death rattle army is the amount of models you interact with every turn is very much compared to FEC.

They are much cooler though imo.

I guess it is subjective, but GW skeletons look alot better on round bases IMO. They are more naturalistic and more poseable than mantics. Heres some advice from someone who has made alot of armies and alot of mistakes. 

-never start an army by picking up the best units. If you do, you probably won't ever find time to build and paint the lesser options. 

-start every army with something cool and something obligatory. Find the models you are drawn to the most and the ones that you know you are going to field in every game. For me, that was skeletons (obligatory battleline) and a wight king (coolest model ever). That way you can reward yourself after painting something boring (20 skeletons). Do this until you have a solid base of cool models and nescessary models. You are probably around 1000 points here. 

-Get some smaller games in with your base army to find out what you need for your full army. For me this was realizing that I needed some heavy rend, heavy damage hitters to deal with things like blightkings and liberators etc. = Morghast Archai, which incidentally are alao incridibly cool miniatures. 

-If you buy 2000 points from the beginning, you are settung yourself up for disappointment. Chances are you will have bought 500 points worth of models that you never going to use. 

I like the mantic skeletons, but be aware they come moulded to a plastic base which needs some modelling to put onto an appropriate sized base. You'll need to do some green stuff work or some cutting on a lot of models to make them fit.

Theyre still cheaper, but in terms of time you might find that it takes less time to model the GW ones

I have 80!

You get a 2000pt FEC on the table for about $240 usd (FLGS / Amazon prices). That's three start collecting boxes and a box of ghouls, will have EVERYTHING and a little extra to get you there. It's probably the most affordable way to get a competitive death on the table. 

Deathrattle mix list, your looking around 300.. At least. Cheapest way, two skeleton start collecting, wight King, necromancer, 2 boxes grave gaurd, and one box of skeletons. That way you run two morcharts (I prefer nefferta & manfred) make the wight King your general, big block or two blocks of grave guard, 3x 10 skeletons, 10 black knights, and the legion of death battalion 

Archived