Quickest 1000 point Army to paint? Second army to introduce friends!

SuperKick

Hi all

I'm currently working on my 2000 plus points of stormcast to a nice table top quality. trying lots of new techniques and taking my time as it's the first army I've painted in years. the end of this project is a few months out and I'm making steady progress. 

Not sure what would be next but I'd really like to have a second army for both my own use but mainly to tempt some friends into the game who have shown some interest. I'd like to put together a 1000 points with varied units with different abilities etc no need for it to be very competitive. 

Ideally I'd love for this to be a quick project and I may build upon from there depending on how much I enjoyed the army. 

I realise I could just split my stormcast and I may well do that but a enemy force is much cooler. 

Totally open on the army here and I'm thinking maybe death with skeletons a few spirit type units etc but wondered if anyone else has something in mind for a quick and simple but nice on a tabletop scheme and any 'hacks' that might help. 

Cheers 

Do you have any friends in mind? Maybe take something they would find interesting. 

I used my ogres to introduce friends. Gives a taste of power, not that many models with rules to remember and enough flair and character to draw them in. Also a easily understandable tactical challenge. Your models are very strong but you are outnumbered. 

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

nighthaunt by far!!

spray ghosts white, wash with Nihilakh oxide, drybrush Celestra grey, drybrush white. Forgo all details.

surely, it cannot be easier ^_^

I've got a carry case sitting next to me full of a competitive 1000 point army that I got painted in about 10-12 hours this week:

Leaders
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Tomb Banshee (80)

Units
Hexwraiths x 5 (160)
Spirit Hosts x 3 (120)
Spirit Hosts x 3 (120)

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

Total: 1000/1000

If you can't deal with the mourngul at 1000 points you're gonna have a bad time.

Thanks for the replies! I think I will likely go with nighthaunt. @james.speller Do I dare put a mourngul on a 1k list? xD I think so, would give them a taste of power! 

@Kramer I think that's a good idea but I think I'd prefer to take my time on ogres so maybe not for this project. Not sure what my friends would prefer, fantasy fans in general in terms of movies/Games etc. I think they're choices would vary.

@Dez I think that's a good option as well, will be keeping it in mind. 

1 hour ago, SuperKick said:

Thanks for the replies! I think I will likely go with nighthaunt. @james.speller Do I dare put a mourngul on a 1k list? xD I think so, would give them a taste of power! 

@Kramer I think that's a good idea but I think I'd prefer to take my time on ogres so maybe not for this project. Not sure what my friends would prefer, fantasy fans in general in terms of movies/Games etc. I think they're choices would vary.

@Dez I think that's a good option as well, will be keeping it in mind. 

Then maybe one of the elf armies, they can be quite elite so low level model count? 

But good luck anyway! Curious to see what the final decision will be. 

Semi-serious suggestion, you could take any army and paint them all ethereal like a ghost army. Could be particularly cool for compendium stuff that will likely get a redesign down the line (such as empire troops). I've been considering painting up some ghostly elves myself. You can pick any level of detail to paint normally, from 'real' amulets, gems etc on ghostly bodies to fully painted armour and equipment over ethereal flesh.

Archived