Running demo games in public libraries (USA)

Bostian

I often look for ways to grow the local community of tabletop gamers, particularly for miniature gaming and hobby in general and AoS specifically. But, frustrated by limited support from local gaming stores (I wrote a little parable based on my experiences compared to car dealerships ), I've been considering other venues, and the one I think may work but has been overlooked is the local public library. Also, I think the gaming stores we know in the United States will close the same way the video rental stores did a few years back. My aim is to find new locations around which we can build tabletop gaming communities.

After talking with some other demo game organizers about the possibilities about running demo games in a public library in the States, the primary concern is the space. Setting up a table with miniatures and inviting patrons to try a demo game next to the magazine rack in the quiet reading room is not going to work! But many libraries have meeting or event rooms, and that's the key.

Here are my main reasons to run a demo games day event in a public library instead of a gaming store:

1. Many if not most library patrons are not gamers. Gamers only have so much time and money to play so many games; instead of trying to get boardgamers to try a miniatures game, it might make more sense to recruit new gamers... or, rather, ignite the passion for tabletop gaming that lies in the soul of almost every person. Most people I have met in recent years enjoy gaming, but they often just don't realize it because they haven't been exposed to the range of awesome tabletop games!
  2. Public libraries already have a community network for promotion. Most game stores might hang a flyer about an upcoming demo games day up in the store or even post on an online calendar, but these will only be seen by gamers. Libraries promote a wide range of programs and events to the community at large.
  3. Public libraries generally maintain a safe, friendly environment with clean restrooms. Most people aren't reluctant to walk into a public library--they expect a standard of helpful staff at the reference desk, a safe and quiet environment, and relatively clean restrooms.  My wife, for example, would prefer to use the restroom in a fast food joint next door than the one in any given game store.

I'm arranging to run a Warhammer demo games day event at my public library in late December, and I'm hoping (with consideration of the above points) it will be the most successful demo games event I've ever put together (and I've involved with many over the past 5 years in exactly 7 different gaming stores).

My main intention for this thread is to document the process and experience, hopefully providing some tips and encouragement for others to try running demo games at local libraries, and to also invite suggestions and comments with the aim of growing and diversifying the community.

Great viewpoints. I, too, am looking at doing this at my local Library.

Couple nice things is the free conference room is located inside the atrium area along with the bathrooms, drinking fountain, and main library entrance.

They were actually excited that I am a club organizer and would have "board game" demos.

I am really interested in seeing what others post on this topic.

Thank you for starting the discussion.

- Lord Cedric

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

On 10/15/2016 at 0:13 PM, Bostian said:

I'm arranging to run a Warhammer demo games day event at my public library in late December, and I'm hoping (with consideration of the above points) it will be the most successful demo games event I've ever put together (and I've involved with many over the past 5 years in exactly 7 different gaming stores).

My main intention for this thread is to document the process and experience, hopefully providing some tips and encouragement for others to try running demo games at local libraries, and to also invite suggestions and comments with the aim of growing and diversifying the community.

Hi @Bostian, this direction seems really promising. Excited to follow along, discuss, and learn from your process and experience. 

Greetings A.

I run game nights at a library on occasion -- and they do very well, but advertising with flyers is thankfully supported.

The key, however, for our success is that we have a separate room with glass doors. People can see what is going on, but only those interested come in. I recommend anyone try it so long as their local branch has a place they can reserve and talk freely without disturbing others.

Great post.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Painting.jpg

We had a great turnout last night in the library with 11 teens and 4 adults trying out some demo games and even painting models.

The local paper sent a reporter to take a few pictures and write a short article:

http://www.dailyprogress.com/starexponent/news/warhammer-tabletop-gaming-comes-to-the-library/article_8c5a6121-9d62-505d-bd4f-dc04853a0cac.html

The guys that helped me put this together were great, and we all agreed that we've never had such a good number of enthusiastic players in any of the demo events we've set up in local gaming stores.

Maybe local public libraries will become new local centers of tabletop gaming.

I recommend everyone to give it a try and talk with your local public library about setting up a demo game event.

I don't know what it's like overseas, but we have very large board gaming expos (including some like pax or pop culture expos, mixed with video games) in Australia and I never see games workshop there near the board game stalls trying to get people to try the game. Seems like a missed opportunity. 

Most board game manufacturers have tents trying to get people to try their games and reaper miniatures even has painting tutorials. It just seems like such an obvious choice and it's weird GW don't get on top of this.

Sounds like a really good idea, this!
What supplies are you planning on using? I guess the library has a table for you and you bring models, dice, rulers and the rules and warscrolls.
How much terrain would you use? Have you got a battlemat or some green cloth for the table? Any easy scenarios you plan on using?

Skickat från min SM-J510FN via Tapatalk

Archived