Let's Chat Free People

Paul Conti

The crew have the keyword but they have a different attack profile from the cannon, therefore hold the line can apply to the crew (waste) but not the cannon. 

It might be the case but it is not clear cut, as I would say that the crew and the cannon are one and the same unit so all keywords apply. It probably needs a GW ruling to get a definitive answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Hugh Halligan said:

It might be the case but it is not clear cut, as I would say that the crew and the cannon are one and the same unit so all keywords apply. It probably needs a GW ruling to get a definitive answer!

It's clear cut. the attack comes from the cannon not the crew. The cannon (war machine) has it's missile attack which is separate to the crew which has it's melee attacks. Different profiles, and key words.  

They are separate units except for the limited points that they deploy as one and count as Victory Points as one. This is actually in the FAQ.

They are separate units except for the limited points that they deploy as one and count as Victory Points as one. This is actually in the FAQ.

Fair enough, I stand corrected!

Hello all! Free People player here. Loving this discussion so far! A lot of the great buffs have already been mentioned but ill add in a few points too. 

My standard Matched Play list at moment includes General on Griffon, Block of 15 Grail Knights, Luminark, Hurricanum, Damsel, Wildform BattleMage. It centres around the Block of Knights obviously.

If they get the charge off and are fully buffed it puts them on 2 attacks, 2's to hit (rerolling failed), 2's to wound, -1 Rend, 2 damage. Then when they are attacked back, they have a 2+ Standard save (mystic shield included), then a 6+ Ward Save (Luminark) followed by a 5+ Ward save (Damsel Blessing Spell). Basically they are not going anywhere and will delete most things. Plus then you get buffed up horses too.

I have wanted to try the hold the line General Command Ability for a while and think this will be great for a lot of objective based missions. 

I seem to always choose Pegasus Knights over Demigryph Knights, for the same points I find their movement and pile in twice if they charge a better option than the Demigyphs, (Although using the General on Foot may change my selection as exploding 5's (4's with Wildform) is pretty damn good.

Another great little trick is to run 2 units of 10 GreatSwords, both with Hornblowers, each side of the Grail Knights. If the Grail Knights are charged, then their counter charge option will catch a lot of people out. (Thinking this would work great with the Hold The Line command ability too as it isn't technically a charge)

I also find Men At Arms an almost must include. 16 models for 120 points with option to take a Relic Banner to unbind some spells. Great unit to hold objectives in your own territory. Wont last long, but will give you time to get something more punchy back to help defend.

One thing I find a bit too expensive is the Treb, 220 points, yes it will have a few good turns and is a threat, but I believe 5 Grails or even Bret Lord and Paladin will be better options for same amount of points. Has anyone found any sneakiness with this yet?

28 minutes ago, HobbyHammer said:

Hello all! Free People player here. Loving this discussion so far! A lot of the great buffs have already been mentioned but ill add in a few points too. 

My standard Matched Play list at moment includes General on Griffon, Block of 15 Grail Knights, Luminark, Hurricanum, Damsel, Wildform BattleMage. It centres around the Block of Knights obviously.

If they get the charge off and are fully buffed it puts them on 2 attacks, 2's to hit (rerolling failed), 2's to wound, -1 Rend, 2 damage. Then when they are attacked back, they have a 2+ Standard save (mystic shield included), then a 6+ Ward Save (Luminark) followed by a 5+ Ward save (Damsel Blessing Spell). Basically they are not going anywhere and will delete most things. Plus then you get buffed up horses too.

I have wanted to try the hold the line General Command Ability for a while and think this will be great for a lot of objective based missions. 

I seem to always choose Pegasus Knights over Demigryph Knights, for the same points I find their movement and pile in twice if they charge a better option than the Demigyphs, (Although using the General on Foot may change my selection as exploding 5's (4's with Wildform) is pretty damn good.

Another great little trick is to run 2 units of 10 GreatSwords, both with Hornblowers, each side of the Grail Knights. If the Grail Knights are charged, then their counter charge option will catch a lot of people out. (Thinking this would work great with the Hold The Line command ability too as it isn't technically a charge)

I also find Men At Arms an almost must include. 16 models for 120 points with option to take a Relic Banner to unbind some spells. Great unit to hold objectives in your own territory. Wont last long, but will give you time to get something more punchy back to help defend.

One thing I find a bit too expensive is the Treb, 220 points, yes it will have a few good turns and is a threat, but I believe 5 Grails or even Bret Lord and Paladin will be better options for same amount of points. Has anyone found any sneakiness with this yet?

Sounds like some neat buffing tricks! 

I am guessing you have a fairly low model count, do you struggle with the multiple objective scenarios?

6 hours ago, Hugh Halligan said:

I believw this is actually in the FAQ - the crew are a separate unit from the wsr machine

Hi guys,

I'm a new Free Peoples general. I've always loved the old Empire stuff, but for one reason or another never really did a full army of them (I did have a small 600-1000 point army at one point, but it involved a lot of conversion which ultimately was too much effort). So now I'm back in AoS, looking to start my second army. I already have a 2000~ish point army of Slaves to Darkness, but it was pre Generals Handbook and has turned out to not really be that strong. We aren't ultra-competitive here, but I don't really want to feel the same way about future armies where there are some things that I just can't take down due to not having tools (Ranged being a major tool you need in AoS).

So that boils down to me throwing around two lists at the moment. Because my theme is more a mercenary force in the mortal realms, I'm purposely sticking away from stuff like the Hurricanum even if it offers a lot of tools and utility to Order lists. Essentially I've come up with two lists that are slight variants of each other. Mainly the first lacks any magic, but has a few more Freeguild Guard and Grail Knights. The second list has a Wizard and more Greatswords instead. Let me know what you think.

List 1 2000 points - No magic, more Grail

Leaders
Gunmaster (80)
Freeguild General (100)
Freeguild General On Griffon (300)

Units
Freeguild Handgunners x 20 (200)
Freeguild Guard x 20 (160)
Freeguild Greatswords x 10 (160)
Demigryph Knights x 3 (200)
- Lance and Sword
Freeguild Guard x 10 (80)
Grail Knights x 5 (180)
Grail Knights x 5 (180)

War Machines
Cannon (180)
Cannon (180)

List 2 2000 points - Little magic, more Greatswords

Leaders
Gunmaster (80)
Freeguild General (100)
Freeguild General On Griffon (300)
Battlemage (100)

Units
Freeguild Handgunners x 20 (200)
Demigryph Knights x 3 (200)
- Lance and Sword
Freeguild Greatswords x 20 (320)
Grail Knights x 5 (180)

War Machines
Cannon (180)
Cannon (180)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

What are peoples thoughts on Pistoliers and Outriders? Are either useful? One better than the other?

Both of them have speed. The Pistoliers obviously being the more up front and personal option, with only 9" range on their pistols and more close combat attacks albeit harder to hit with.

The Outriders look like they would really accompany something else fast (like Knights or Demigryphs) and then sit back and shoot while staying out of combat. Wondering a bit about what equipment the leader should take, gut feel says Repeater Handgun may just be best to keep the range.

Does anyone have any real experience with them in game? I've already got some old Pistoliers being repurposed into the army, but want to make sure Outriders aren't a dud before building my second box into them!

1 hour ago, someone2040 said:

Hi guys,

What are peoples thoughts on Pistoliers and Outriders? Are either useful? One better than the other?

Both of them have speed. The Pistoliers obviously being the more up front and personal option, with only 9" range on their pistols and more close combat attacks albeit harder to hit with.

The Outriders look like they would really accompany something else fast (like Knights or Demigryphs) and then sit back and shoot while staying out of combat. Wondering a bit about what equipment the leader should take, gut feel says Repeater Handgun may just be best to keep the range.

Does anyone have any real experience with them in game? I've already got some old Pistoliers being repurposed into the army, but want to make sure Outriders aren't a dud before building my second box into them!

I have a set of each I have been trying in my games. My best luck with outriders is to keep them as support of anything really, but my best luck has been with a battle line of infantry that they can shoot over. They can hero snipe, and do a lot of damage to units. The biggest weakness is if they get charged, they can be pretty easy to one turn shrek.  The biggest weakness besides the somewhat ease to kill is the fact that you can roll badly on their shots, but generally I find it averages around 10 shots, with my low being around 7 and high being close to 15. 

The pistoliers are all about timing. I do like the ability of both of these units to run, shoot, and charge in one turn. You can really move around the map. The pistoliers can also use their pistols as melee weapons so they are still strong in melee, with a bit weak to hit. I am actually going to try my next game with them in my State Troop Detachment instead of a the greatswords (who have a sick to-hit anyhow) and run them with my general in support of the knights I am bringing. I like the ability to do a little bit of everything and that +1 to hit and +1 bravery would make them more scary. 

I will update with how they do for me in my next game, but so far I would say they have had one excellent game, one ok game, and one bad game each. So it is pretty average. Most of the bad or Ok seems to be me just not understanding rules well enough. 

On 10/11/2016 at 4:08 PM, Primez said:

The crew have the keyword but they have a different attack profile from the cannon, therefore hold the line can apply to the crew (waste) but not the cannon. 

I'm not seeing in the FAQs where it's stated that the cannon isn't affected? Can someone point to it?

I make the argument that Hold the Line does, in fact, work for the cannon. Under "Crewed Artillery" it says, "If its Crew are within 1" of the cannon in the shooting phase, they can fire the war machine." 

I bieve it is pretty clear, and logical, that the crew are doing the firing and thus can benefit from HtL. The cannon cannot fire without them, after all.

Page 4 of the FAQ states that A war machine and its crew are separate units, which would mean you have to target them separately for buffs. Clearly the shooting attack is on the cannon's Warscroll. Most importantly, the Cannon has its own keywords and usually lacks the relevant ones for most buffs. One partial exception is the Screaming Skull Catapult which is still Death or the Hurricanum which still buffs an Order Cannon (assuming that it has Order).

So, in the process of looking for a) cool conversion ideas, and b) cool things I can add to Bretonnia while still basically playing Bretonnia, I came across the Freeguild General on Griffon.

Why is the internet not collectively frothing about this guy?  Beatstick, but more importantly, unlike his horse-riding altar ego, he can be used in an army that moves.  Given most games (at least in matched play) involve taking objectives, having an ability that a) protects a unit from Battleshock failure (key for smallish, elite deathstart units), b) gives you added mobility to said unit, and c) makes that unit more killy, I think I just fell in love.  

Totally going to convert the IoB griffen elf into a Bret on a Griffen, and run this guy.  With Louen de Lioncour in the same army.

FMB

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:11 PM, HobbyHammer said:

Can you have multiple ward saves?

On 02/11/2016 at 7:18 AM, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Why is the internet not collectively frothing about this guy?  Beatstick, but more importantly, unlike his horse-riding altar ego, he can be used in an army that moves.  Given most games (at least in matched play) involve taking objectives, having an ability that a) protects a unit from Battleshock failure (key for smallish, elite deathstart units), b) gives you added mobility to said unit, and c) makes that unit more killy, I think I just fell in love.  

I don't see the benefit. 

The real power of a Free Guild general is to buff the troops. I'd rather have a 100pt General behind the lines and additional wizards/greatswords than a General on Griffin. 

The foot / horse model's buff is great, no question - but it requires the units not move.  That's fine for a gunline, and I do get the power, but it's horrible for any army that wants to move / attack - like my Brets, for example.  In contrast, the Griffon general's buff, although not as dramatic, actually compliments a unit that wants to move to attack.  Given how many scenarios require you to take objectives, buffs that synergize with movement / mobility strike me as being better than they appear on paper.

FMB

I am a big fan of General on Griffon. +1 attack and +1 damage is standard for me. Turns him into a real fighter. his command ability isn't great but you can just give it to himself so he hit's on 2's. His movement is awesome flying is great. It means he can move around and clear out units when he needs to. I run him with a shield and hammer so he has the damage output and a 3+ save. If you don't get him into the combat then you have just wasted 300 points, or even if he is hurt before making combat. I try run a life wizard behind him for the heals and the ward save.    

For a pure fighter with no special ward saves, magic or fancy abilities i think 300 can be a risk. But if you use him well he is more than worth it. 

Archived