Metal Minis questions

I am looking into Infinity at the moment. I like the xcom style gameplay and that an army has like a maximum of 15 model, perfect for a side project imho. I know some of u play or have played multiple games and i value your opinions above some random sponsored youtuber. I have painted a total of 3 metal minis in my life and i know the basics. Clean, varnish and more varnish. But thats about it, so i have some questions.

1. Do i need to use a file or can i get away with the back of a knife? 

2. Is there some type of super glue thats good/best for metal minis? I know there are many types of super glue and dont want to mess up new minis.

3. Do i need a thick coat of primer or does it need a similar coat compared to plastic?

4. Varnish after primer before painting or not?

5. I am reading a bunch of different opinions about N4 and CodeOne and where a beginner should start. As someone who is familiar with Warhammer, what do u recommend?

6. How hard of a game is N4 really? Imho it seems like a lot of rules but not really much bookkeeping while playing. I feel like most rules and actions do what u expect them to do.

6. Nvm

7. Any good european webstores that sell infinity related stuff like terrain and tokens etc? I love all the warsenal stuff but it has €50 shipping costs. 

8. Anything else i need to be aware of?

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Title change

I can have a bash at answering the metal questions. I love painting metal models... there's something about the crispness of the detail and the weight in the hand that just appeals! 

1. I assume you mean to remove mould lines? A really small file is great if there's tight spots that need work... but I find that a good sharp knife works for most. 

2. Gel super glue is far better than liquid super glue. Might need a visit to a hardware store to find one. I've never used the two-part stuff, but some people swear by it. 

3. I always prime metal models with a brush. I find, for some reason, spray primer doesn't cooperate too well with metal models. As for thickness, the old adage of a couple of thin coats is the way to go. 

4. I've never varnished after priming. Didn't know that that was a thing, to be honest! But at least two coats of varnish on the finished model is definitely prudent. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

I am looking into Infinity at the moment. I like the xcom style gameplay and that an army has like a maximum of 15 model, perfect for a side project imho. I know some of u play or have played multiple games and i value your opinions above some random sponsored youtuber. I have painted a total of 3 metal minis in my life and i know the basics. Clean, varnish and more varnish. But thats about it, so i have some questions.

1. Do i need to use a file or can i get away with the back of a knife? 

2. Is there some type of super glue thats good/best for metal minis? I know there are many types of super glue and dont want to mess up new minis.

3. Do i need a thick coat of primer or does it need a similar coat compared to plastic?

4. Varnish after primer before painting or not?

5. I am reading a bunch of different opinions about N4 and CodeOne and where a beginner should start. As someone who is familiar with Warhammer, what do u recommend?

6. How hard of a game is N4 really? Imho it seems like a lot of rules but not really much bookkeeping while playing. I feel like most rules and actions do what u expect them to do.

6. Nvm

7. Any good european webstores that sell infinity related stuff like terrain and tokens etc? I love all the warsenal stuff but it has €50 shipping costs. 

8. Anything else i need to be aware of?

So I also dabbled with Infinity (only got 1-2 people interested in my broader area, otherwise it would be one of my favourite games), here's my return from experience:

1) I used my usual hobby tools (notably, the much-maligned GW mould line removal tool)

2) I used normal super glue, but added a tiny bit of green stuff for the bigger things or the very very small ones

3) I used my usual primer (I use brush-on primer) but did a second coat on some of the minis

4) I varnished after painting, but I tend to do it anyway cause I am a bit of a brute with my mini storage

5) I started with CodeOne. It's a good way to learn, as everything you are learning is relevant for N4 anyway (N4 only adds stuff on top)

6) What I like about Infinity is that the hard part happens before the battle (yes, there's quite a few rules), but during the battle there's not so much stuff to remember. Even my first games had a very good flow -however, I was playing at smaller point.

7) I don't know about tokens (didn't need more), but for terrain, it really depends on what you are after. For MDF, TT Combat has a line which fits with Infinity. For pop up, check out Acid House cyberpunk (although they do limited runs, so it can be sold out). Finally, Infinity cardboard terrain is really decent.

• Thanks 1

1. You can probably get away with a knife, but I’ve always used files as it’s easier to get a smooth finish.

2. Always just used bog standard super glue. I definitely would recommend pinning tho, especially heavy pieces or spindly connection points.

3. I usually just spray as I would plastic

4. Have never varnished after priming, but do at end of paint jobs or if I want to protect anything mid way, like a painting save point.

Never played infinity, this is based on experience with mainly GW metals.

Edited by GrimDork
  • Like 1

+++ Mod Hat On +++

I'm moving this to the Painting part of the forum and I'll look the other way about a non Warhammer game due to the question about metal models :D 

However, you can check out https://www.warhammer-community.com/the-old-world-downloads/ as there is a guide for metal and resin models which may be of some help. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/xxIe3eu7OX0T1Due.pdf

• Like 1

• Gaz Taylor changed the title to Metal Minis questions