90s Skeleton Appreciation Thread

ElectricPaladin

Does anyone have a picture of the Skeleton Army from White Dwarf in the late 80's, early 90's? Not the Nightmare Legion but the army you could buy straight from the magazine. It had a Necropsy, skeleton archers and skeleton warriors with scythes. I would kill for that army right now. 

• 1 year later...
On March 3, 2017 at 5:50 PM, ZealousJ said:

box+%25284%2529.JPG

Are you referring to this?

God it makes me feel so nostalgic. I had these models when I was so young my dad used to stay up at night painting them for me

I bought a box of these models that had everything in the photo except the chariot decades ago. I never painted them so I salvaged as much as i could. I put some spare black knight bits on the horses and put a bucket load of spare skeleton sword arms and heads on the skeletons. They  came out pretty good. The sculpts actually fit in better with the current line of skeletons than the ones that came out in the early 2000's

So, not 90's but definitely skeletons, has anyone here used the ebob ones? 

Metal, anatomically correct, poseable, come with shield and sword, and cheaper than the GW skeleton boxed set: http://www.ebobminiatures.com/site/fantasy.html

Since the meta seems to have come down on ancient blade always being better, I'm tempted to use them to fill out my army. 

1 hour ago, Captain Roderick said:

So, not 90's but definitely skeletons, has anyone here used the ebob ones? 

Metal, anatomically correct, poseable, come with shield and sword, and cheaper than the GW skeleton boxed set: http://www.ebobminiatures.com/site/fantasy.html

Since the meta seems to have come down on ancient blade always being better, I'm tempted to use them to fill out my army. 

Wait, it has? I though spears were the best choice?

22 minutes ago, Nevvermore said:

Wait, it has? I though spears were the best choice?

Well, I've not played any games but I've watched every legions of nagash battle report on YouTube. I'm definitely not an expert. But recently I've seen people going with blades, even in their blocks of 40. The reasoning being, when you actually get to fight with them, more often then not you've taken a good number of casualties, so you're fighting in 2 "ranks" anyway. You only get benefit from spears if you have 3 "ranks", (1 row of b2b and 2 behind) whilst you always benefit from blades, no matter how many you have. In some instances you might have some unable to make contact but since you probably won't swing first with your skellies (giving the chance to heroes and elite units instead) it seems like due to casualties you'll probably lose that 3rd rank before you get to swing anyway. 

Maybe we should have a separate thread about this... 

Archived