alasdair

Hello chaps,

I have spent the last week or so crafting a whole host of 1000 point lists for Order. They are all themed but should be relatively decent on the table. I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on what I've put together - what would be the most fun to play, paint, or most competitive. Don't feel the need to talk about each and every one I'm just trying to help myself decide what army to go with.

Phoenix Temple

Frostheart Phoenix 260
Frostheart Phoenix 260
10 Phoenix Guard 200
10 Phoenix Guard 200
Anointed 80

There isn't really a trick to this one, all the units are just relatively solid and it fits neatly into 1000. I considered chopping and changing some stuff to take one of each phoenixes and that's still an option.

Devoted of Sigmar

War Altar of Sigmar 300
Warrior Priest 80
Warrior Priest 80
Witch Hunter 60
20 Flagellants 160
20 Flagellants 160
10 Flagellants 80
Pilgrimage of Wrath 60

This is the highest model count of all the lists, and is focussed around the normal buffs you get from the battalion and War Altar to make the flagellant horde somewhat threatening. Should be a funny army to play if nothing else.

Fyreslayers

Auric Runemaster 80
Auric Runesmiter 100
15 Auric Heathguard 300
Runeson on Magmadroth 280
15 Vulkite Berserkers 240

This one takes advantage of the good ol magmic tunneling which is the only way to make fyreslayers any good it seems. The hearthguard teleport somewhere and cause havoc and the vulkites and magmadroth are solid in the centre. The runemaster is only to make the hearthguard battleline, but he is a pretty solid hero I guess.

Swifthawk Agents

Skywarden 160
10 Shadow Warriors 200
10 Shadow Warriors 200
10 Shadow Warriors 200
Skycutter 120
Skycutter 120

This one is a bit of an oddball. Low model count and relatively naff in combat but can put out a pretty withering level of shots. Not an army you see every day whatsoever, I don't think people would really know how to react.

Freeguild
Freeguild General 100
 - sigmarite weapon, shield, stately war banner
Helstorm Rocket Battery 180
Helstorm Rocket Battery 180
30 Freeguild Guard 240
 - shield and sword
10 Freeguild Archers 100
3 Demigryph Knights 200
 - lance and sword

Semi gunline freeguild list with the general buffing the rockets to hopefully put out some meaningful levels of damage, whereas the guard are a big blob and the demigyph harrass and tank a bit. A very different list from the kind I usually play.

Seraphon 1.

Saurus Scar Veteran on Carnosaur 260
10 Saurus Knights 240
5 Saurus Knights 120
5 Saurus Knights 120
Firelance Starhost 60
Skink Starpriest 100
10 Saurus Warriors 100

This is a cavalry based seraphon list using the firelance starhost. I don't think it is actually too powerful but is a reasonable amount of wounds to shift off the board and should be consistently good. Not really any tricks to it.

Seraphon 2.

Eternity Warden 140
Skink Starpriest 100
10 Saurus Guard 200
5 Saurus Guard 100
5 Saurus Guard 100
Eternity Starhost 80
3 Terradon Riders 140
3 Terradon Riders 140

Temple guard brick list. Starhost and buffs from priest and warden make them super tough, terradons flank and harrass. I don't know if this list actually puts out that much damage compared to some of the others however.

Seraphon 3.

Skink Priest 100
20 Skinks 160
- Blowpipes
10 Skinks
- Javelins 80
6 Terradon Riders 280
 - Skyblade, Sunleech Bolas
Shadowstrike Starhost 120
Stegadon 260

Here is one that I think would be heaps of fun. Taking advantage of the ability from the shadowstrike starhost, the terradons swoop onto the board and hopefully cause havoc. I considered ripperdactyls but I think the shooting and rock ability from the terradons is too good to pass up. Other than that the stegadon is hard as nails and everything can do a fair bit of damage at range. Also its an army made up entirely of skinks, so take from that what you will.

Sylvaneth

Branchwych 120
Treelord 260 
20 Dryads 240 
5 Tree Revenants 100
3 Kurnoth Hunters 180
Household 20 
Gnarlroot Wargrove 80

This list I don't really know how to play, it's mainly one built for theme and modelling purposes. Each of the units appear individually strong and the gnarlroot is very good from what I gather.

So there you go! I imagine that would be a lot to take in, so don't feel the need to comment on each and every list if you don't want to. Which do you like the best? I'm edging towards either the skink list or the swifthawk agents a tad I think. 

Hi alasdair,

Are you planning on using these lists as the foundation of larger forces, or as standalone 1k lists? If it's the former I'd shy away from the mini factions (Devoted, Swifthawk Agents ect), as pure allegiance armies of them will become very repetitive and limited very fast (though anyone with a dedicated Swifthawk list should win all games by default on rule of cool alone).

It's also worth noting that if these lists are geared towards the matched play battleplans then you should look at squeezing in as many heroes as possible incase Three Places of Power gets rolled up.

I like the Fyreslayer list a lot, tunnelling is definitely the way to go! The Rumemasters' ability to let stuff reroll wounds to reroll wounds will be helpful too. Make sure you give your general Reckless. :) 

The Freeguild list is solid, and the Helstorms are likely to be able to take out most enemy characters early and easily enough for Three Places of Power to not be too much of an issue. It's worth noting that the General's command ability won't affect the Helstorms due to them not having the Free Peoples keyword (it wouldn't even if their crew still had the Free Peoples keyword as it's the machine that fires. I learnt this the hard way with Dispossessed).

I can tell you some thinks about the Sylvaneth list:

You are paying 100 extra points for household and gnarlroot basicaly just to have 2 spells on the Branchwych...I think thats not worth it! It would be better if you dropped in and upgraded the treelord to an ancient, since it gives you the command trait reroll 1s on saves, ha also has magic, and he can summon wildwoods anyhow....and he also gets another spell from deepwood spell lore! When you changed to him you have the same list that I am planning to run in my 1k games...the option would be to drop the branchwych and get another units of hunters.

Also the Branchwych is 100 Points.

My Gaming grounp is fine with fractioning the points (like I only have 16 dryads from the SC Box, I dont have to pay for 20, but to calculate how much 16 are). If yours are fine with it too you could uprade to the treelord ancient by droping some dryads and use the gnarlroot to a much greater effect!

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2016 at 0:20 AM, Double Misfire said:

Are you planning on using these lists as the foundation of larger forces, or as standalone 1k lists?

The latter, which is why I've gone for some of the more esoteric choices as you say.

On 02/10/2016 at 0:20 AM, Double Misfire said:

It's worth noting that the General's command ability won't affect the Helstorms due to them not having the Free Peoples keyword (it wouldn't even if their crew still had the Free Peoples keyword as it's the machine that fires. I learnt this the hard way with Dispossessed).

Oh I did not realise this, thanks for letting me know.

On 03/10/2016 at 0:30 PM, Alexxk said:

I can tell you some thinks about the Sylvaneth list:

You are paying 100 extra points for household and gnarlroot basicaly just to have 2 spells on the Branchwych...I think thats not worth it! It would be better if you dropped in and upgraded the treelord to an ancient, since it gives you the command trait reroll 1s on saves, ha also has magic, and he can summon wildwoods anyhow....and he also gets another spell from deepwood spell lore! When you changed to him you have the same list that I am planning to run in my 1k games...the option would be to drop the branchwych and get another units of hunters.

Also the Branchwych is 100 Points

On 03/10/2016 at 1:44 PM, Nico said:

In the Gnarlroot formation - you have to take an Ancient not a Treelord (hardly a sacrifice). Then you get 2 spells on him too).

I've realised I counted the points wrong! I did intend to only have 10 dryads and use the treelord ancient. Thanks for pointing it out.

Im currently edging towards the Sylvaneth maybe somewhat due to the cost efficiency (with the start collecting box) if nothing else. The Fyreslayers also, but Im concerned they may be something of a one trick pony whereas the trees seem a lot more versatile.

Qit may only be me but I'm always hesitant to do armies of things that may get releases in the future such as any aelves or freeguild for example. 

Archived