Whfb to AoS updates

Could be fun to guess when potential refreshes or updates of whfb models could take place. Want to leave out wishlisting for now. Could be forgetting some factions.

FEC, winter 2023 release

Ogors or BoC, end of edition spring 2024 refresh?

Kurnothi, is coming in some form to join Sylvaneth. Could be a Dawnbringer release like Kragnos was last edition?

Skaven, 4th starter summer 2024

Malerion aelves, could be winter 2024

I guess CoS gets a small wave with the 4th edition tome. Updating some subfaction

Spiderfang + Bonesplitterz + Dispossesed, dont feel like these get updated any time soon, maybe they wont ever get something new.

Tzeentch could also use some updated sculpts imho. Spring 2025?

Some of the finecast could be replaced earlier or with a hero + tome release in 4th. 

Dont think we will be getting a new army this edition. I rather see all armies getting AoS sauce.

Has there been a “concrete” rumor about who would face off with Skaven in the 4th Ed starter box?

With the gradual build up that started with Grungni’s appearances and the on again, off again rumors I’m wondering if it could feature a Dispossessed refresh too. AOS is thriving with new armies. Here’s a chance to grab interest from former fantasy players and new players alike with updated takes on classic rivals!

Probably too much wish and not enough rumor, but the opportunity is there and I’d love to see GW take it.

I am fascinated and excited at the prospect of Malerion and Skaven having a narrative connection and the idea of 4th moving to Ulgu to tie them thematically. I could even see the edition beginning or ending with Slannesh breaking the bonds and just tearing out and causing catastrophic damage to the Realms of Light and Shadow.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rungi said:

Has there been a “concrete” rumor about who would face off with Skaven in the 4th Ed starter box?

SCE have been liked by Whitefang and are the posterboyz for AoS. I think its easy to assume they are in the starterbox. I would prefer CoS though.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I am fascinated and excited at the prospect of Malerion and Skaven having a narrative connection and the idea of 4th moving to Ulgu to tie them thematically. I could even see the edition beginning or ending with Slannesh breaking the bonds and just tearing out and causing catastrophic damage to the Realms of Light and Shadow.  

Moving to Ulgu would be awesome. I really like the few seconds Underworlds spend there. I am hoping its Hysh or Chamon though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Moving to Ulgu would be awesome. I really like the few seconds Underworlds spend there. I am hoping its Hysh or Chamon though.

I feel like a narrative focus on Ulgu would require a split focus with Hysh. In other words I feel like the Lumineth and Malerion will be at war as the Stormcast uncover a vast network of Skaven in the realm of shadows, gnawing away at Slaanesh's chains bringing the mortal realms to the brink of Disaster and Malerion, Morathi, Teclis and Tyrion are too single minded to see.

Plus I want Stormcast in heavy coats, with golden face masks, truncheons and torches. A specialized Strike forces that are there to deal with plague, poison and nightmares... but also used to patrol the streets of Dawnbrought cities and raising suspicions on the Angelic Stormcast within these newly founded city states.  

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

A lot depends on how many kits come with these Dawnbringer books. We're getting a pig and probably a Troggoth with book 2 but is that it or is there a bigger wave coming? 

I'm going to say that there won't be much with Dawnbringers but that Ironjawz will get a decent wave of minis next edition. Kurnothi will be the same as will Ogors.  A kit or two this year but more in 4th. 

FeC will take the Slaves place this year. A book in the winter but more kits next year. It will be a release that expands the range rather than replace it. (Those new Warcry ghouls look deliberately similar to the current ones). 

Skaven Vs Stormcast in robes will be the 4th edition starter. 

There are usually about 10 big releases per edition. So for 4th we have:

Skaven - a big refresh with new lots of new minis and resculpts for Eshin, Pestilens, Skyre and Moulder. The plastics from 7th and 8th edition will all stay. No new bell or Stormvermin. 

Stormcast will get a smaller wave. We will see liberators in Thunderstrike armour. 

Ogors will get a decent release. New versions of all the resin stuff and some completely new kits but the old plastics won't get a resculpt. 

Kurnothi will get a small release of three or four new kits kits. They will be a part of the Sylvaneth book. 

Warclans will get a decent update. I'd love to see 4 kits for each sub faction but I think it will be mostly Ironjawz, a bit for Kruleboyz and maybe... Something for Bonesplittas. 

OBR will be the token death for 4th edition, maybe a couple of kits. 

Nurgle will get some stuff. They haven't seen anything for a while and are a very popular army. No idea what though. 

Malerion will finally arrive and you will see an Aelves of Ulgu combined book warclans style. 

There will be a second wave of cities stuff which will feature Duardin but not Aelves. 

That takes us up to 9 so for a last hail Mary we will close out the edition with Chaos Duardin. 

5th edition will be Stormcast and order of Azyr versus Tzeentch in a battle for control of the soul of the cities that we set up by the Dawnbringer crusades. 

There will be warcry stuff for Fyreslayers, Slaanesh, BoC, Spiderfang, Cities, nighthaunt, IDK, Ogors, and Warclans. 

I'd be pretty happy with all of that.

• Like 1

Time to throw my lot into this !

For 2023 we have :

- Cities of Sigmar : big release, I would expect on the same level than Imperial Guard got in January, so like ~14 kits.
- FEC : we have no clue about that except GW is teasing Ushoran.
- Dawnbringers : 12 factions represented with 6 confirmed so far, with accompanying Warcry releases.
- Kurnothi : somewhere in the pipeline 

I'm also going to say that 4th will be SCE vs Skaven. It will be a good way to clean up the SCE range with updated versions of 1st edition models (Thunderstrike Liberators being a decent bet) and new units. Skaven, all the resin/metal stuff will dissapear, new versions of existing models (clanrats/plague monks) and brand new models. Same as my neighbour above, I feel like the stormvermin could stay in their current form (sadly). 

Then it's all wishlist. There's things that are hanging around in the narrative that will make it to miniature form one day :

- Tyrion, Lumineth water and heaven temples
- Malerion and Umbraneth aelves
- Chaos Duardins
- Grombrindal and whatever pet project Grungni is working on

What I'd like to see myself is :

- New Fyreslayer units ! That aren't a bunch of redhead dwarfs in loincloths ! 
- Love for Nurgle and Tzeentch so they can catch up to Khorne and Slaanesh in terms of minis available (Pestigors, plague zombies, plastic plague toads and bile trolls ! Armoured Tzeentch mortals, new flamers and plastic Blue Scribes !)
- New Idoneth units ! The Cythai have returned to the Idoneth and I'd love to see this represented in the game. Also  C R A B S
- Ogor range refresh. Some of the last holdovers from WFB, their resins/metals need to be gone and some of their old plastics too (Gluttons/Leadbelchers especially, Ironguts less)
- Beasts of Chaos range refresh. Same, last holdovers from WFB, their resins/metals need to be gone and some of their old plastics too (only keep the shaman, AoS sculpts and Cygor/Ghorgon and get some new gors instead !)
- Bonesplitterz range refresh. Even if the savage orcs still hold ok for old minis, at least replace the resin/metal sculpts in the range. 
- New Ossiarchs because every undead factions are getting love except them. 
- New grave guards/black knights for SBGL (and also new hexwraiths for NH because cross factions dual kits hurt the cohesiveness of their faction's art direction).