Expanding Nurgle Daemons?

Spiky Norman

I want to expand my Nurgle Daemons to 2000pts and have been really stuck on what to buy. So I thought I'd seek advice on TGA. I looked back at previous Nurgle threads, but didn't find enough info to answer my questions, so I thought I would ask you guys for advice. :-)
This is what I already have ready and painted:
Great Unclean One
Herald of Nurgle
Rotbringer Sorcerer/Chaos Sorcerer Lord
Lord of Plague
Beast of Nurgle
6xPlague Drones
20xPlaguebearers
6xNurgling bases

My 1000pts army look like this:
Great Unclean One
Herald of Nurgle
Plague Drones of Nurgle
Nurglings
Beast of Nurgle
Plaguebearers of Nurgle
Plaguebearers of Nurgle
Warscroll Battalion - Tallyband of Nurgle

I have been thinking of maybe aiming for something along these three lists:

Great Unclean One
Great Unclean One
Herald of Nurgle
Daemon Prince
30xPlaguebearers of Nurgle
10xPlaguebearers of Nurgle
6xPlague Drones of Nurgle
3xPlague Drones of Nurgle

----

Great Unclean One
Herald of Nurgle
Daemon Prince
20xPlaguebearers of Nurgle
Beast of Nurgle
Chaos Sorcerer Lord - Mark of Nurgle
Putrid Blightkings
Putrid Blightkings

----

Glottkin
Daemon Prince
Great Unclean One
Herald of Nurgle
Nurglings
20xPlaguebearers of Nurgle

Maybe I should look into a Plagueclaw and Epidemius instead?
I am a bit worried about not really having any shooting apart from the Drones, but what do you think? Can Nurgle be reasonably competitive without dedicated shooting units?

Anyways - I would love some advice on what I should get to expand my Nurgle army to 2000pts. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe pick up Festus.... He's a hoot. Have him shadow one of your characters to heal them if needed, and his signature spell is awesome.

Plague catapults are pretty good, and I'd look into what else make catch your eye in the shaven world. Lots of shooty options here. I just paint everything real Nurgle-y.

The Harbinger can bring a little extra as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a big fan of the list from Alliance tournament: 

480 - 2 GUO 

880 - 12 Plague Drones (2 units) 

200 - 20 Plague bearers 

100 - 10 Plague beaerers

100 - 10 Plague beaerers 

100 - 1 Hearld 

100 - 1 Tallyband formation 

1960 Total

Sideboard opts have been:

-1 heard , -2 Drones , + epidemius , + 2 plague claws 

or 

- 1 GUO, -1 Drones , + Morbex, + 3 X Nurglings 

Or 

- 1 GUO , -2 Drones , + Fate weaver, + 2 warp lighting cannons 

still working on other options depending on which army I am playing. 

Lately I have been having great success with the forge world daemon plague toads from tamurkhan's hoard.  If you want to hold something up, they are the frogs for the job.  These guys do Nurgle better than any other Nurgle I have found so far.  Going forward I will always find a place for them in any of my Nurgle forces.

So far I have reached 2000pts with this list:

240 Great Unclean One (Leader, Behemoth)
100 Herald of Nurgle (Leader)
160 Daemon Prince (Leader, Behemoth)
100 10xPlaguebearers of Nurgle (Battleline)
440 6xPlague Drones of Nurgle
 60 Beast of Nurgle
160 2xNurglings
100 Warscroll Battalion - Tallyband of Nurgle
140 Chaos Sorcerer Lord - Mark of Nurgle (Leader)
100 Lord of Chaos - Mark of Nurgle (Leader)
180 Putrid Blightkings
1980pts

I have, of course, been looking at some ranged additions mainly the Warp Lightning Cannon, Plagueclaw and Jezzail, but thematic wise it doesn't mesh too well with the whole Nurgle daemon look, I think.

But I have been toying with the ideas of how I might convert the above ranged options to exclude skavens and include Nurgle daemons instead. Have any of you seen any good conversions like this? Or maybe just ideas of how it could be done?

I will certainly also look into another conversion for a second Great Unclean One, as they seem to perform really well. :-)

On 9/25/2016 at 6:02 PM, Spiky Norman said:

Maybe I should look into a Plagueclaw and Epidemius instead?

I'd be the first person to tell you how good even a single plagueclaw is for putting you on 7 tally turn 1. This combination to me is incredible, by turn 3 you've usually gotten rid of any hordes your opponents might have and hit the 21 kills required to fill out the table.

Having said that I could see you making use of just Epidemius to keep the theme of Nurgle Daemons.

Having used the rotbringers sorcerer I would tell you he's poop from the butt, do not use him. 

2 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Why so down on that dude? Seems as though he'd be ok, as he heals/increases his wound count potentially every time he casts any spell. 

His signature spell goes 7 inches, and it's not radically different from arcane bolt which makes it disappointing. If you're using him for a self-healing caster of mystic shield I think you can spend the points better getting almost all the way to Festus or Gutrot instead.

I love Festus' spell by comparison, a permanent reduction in armor is sweet.

His signature spell goes 7 inches, and it's not radically different from arcane bolt which makes it disappointing. If you're using him for a self-healing caster of mystic shield I think you can spend the points better getting almost all the way to Festus or Gutrot instead.

I love Festus' spell by comparison, a permanent reduction in armor is sweet.

Being only 100 points is pretty boss.

In addition if you summon a balewind vortex you double the range of his signature spell & he gains two wounds that turn.

An arcane bolt that always rolls 3 is nice.

He is part of a pretty The pretty sweet blightguard formation too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Have to agree here. While Festus is cool, and one of my favorite guys, sometimes point constraints mean I need a caster for less points. This dude fills the bill. 

In one game, I had him up to 8 wounds just by casting mystic shield. LMAO.

3 hours ago, TrexPushups said:

He is part of a pretty The pretty sweet blightguard formation too.

I did not know that, I'll concede the point. I've been a huge fan of the Flesh Eater Courts formations, I haven't tried any of the nurgle ones as yet. Maybe that's where he'll shine.

Also; tonight I just picked up Kazyk the Befouled so I'll give him a go and see if he's up to spec like all the other forgeworld models.

51 minutes ago, James McPherson said:

ask yourself this, what is it Nurgle armies lack in general?  Speed, movement tricks ie teleportation, hard hitters and shooting.

I'm mixing in Tamurkan, Sayl, Plagueclaws and Epidemius into any Nurgle army I take in future, along with Plaguemonks, lots and lots of Plaguemonks.....

But all that leaves little left to actually make it a Nurgle Mortals or Daemon list. I get that Clan Pestilence have the Nurgle keyword, but they are not really what I think of, when picturing a real Nurgle army.

I am now considering creating this list:

240 Great Unclean One (Leader, Behemoth)
180 Epidemius (Leader)
160 Daemon Prince (Leader, Behemoth)
440 6xPlague Drones of Nurgle
 60 Beast of Nurgle
100 Warscroll Battalion - Tallyband of Nurgle
140 Chaos Sorcerer Lord - Mark of Nurgle (Leader)
180 Plagueclaw
180 Warp Lightning Cannon
1980pts

Would you recommend getting 2 Plagueclaws or 2 Warp Lightning Cannons or pick 1 of each as I have?

My thinking was 1 for character assassination and 1 for 'horde reduction' & Epidemius tally count.

If I want to keep it at it's core a Nurgle Daemon/Tallyband army, I cannot think of a more competitive list, but if you have suggestions for things to switch in or out, feel free shoot me some pieces of advice on this. :-)

2 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

Thats a decent looking set up. I am trying to build a Nurgle only force but have recently been considering skaven additions, however I am thinking of putting nurglings on the guns so it looks more fluffy

That's a good idea.

I was thinking of switching the Skaven heads with spare Plaguebearer heads, and cutting off the Skavens tail, so they at least look a little more Nurgle-y. But I think putting some nurglings around makes it even better :-)

11 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

The bonus is you get tonnes of them spare from the sets if you are frugal like me ;)

Heh, I too have saved everyone so far.

Even went so far as to make some of my Nurgling bases out of just 2 of the 3 rows, so that I would have extra Nurgling rows for the Epidemius conversion I was planning of making out of a spare Plague Drone rider and some coffee stirrers + various Nurgle bits. :-)

Archived