Phil666

Hey I'm having difficulties choosing a 2000 point army for ironjawz I have 

1x mawkrusha

4x warchanters

3x weirdnob shamans

9x gore gruntas 

10x brutes

100x ardboyz 

I'm just looking for ideas on what you guys would pick from these to put in your armies 

My list is 

Mawkrusha with

hulking brute, boss hacka and choppa and armor of gork Mount mean 'un

Warchanter get 'em beat

Warchanter killa beat

Weirdnob hand of gork

1x unit of 6 gruntas 

1x unit of 3 gruntas

1x unit of 10 brutes 

2x units of 10 ardboyz

1970 points 

151 wounds

Edited by Phil666
Reinforcement change

That's a solid selection and a nice, hearty list you've got. Are you running Ironsunz? 

I too have loads of ard boyz and while I love them, I personally prefer to keep them in 5's. They don't take buffs as well but it saves me on command points to keep them from safe from battleshock, which has proven to be a problem for my boyz. 

I think a megaboss on foot would be a great addition for your collection, especially in this new GHB. 

One note would be the weapon and artefact choice on the Mawcrusha. I personally would either take the Destroyer with the hacka and choppa, or switch to the Armor of Gork with the riptoof fist. Splitting the difference between choppy and tanky seems off to me. 

• 6 months later...

One angle to consider is having a Shaman as the general. At the cost of d3 mortals off the Mawkrusha charge, you can gain either Touched by the Waaagh! to help get the teleport off or Shaman of the Chilled Lands for the seasonal spells. I like Touched a lot - rally (and fixin' beat) mean it's rarely a downside, and I've killed enemies with the mortals before - but Hoarfrost is really good (especially on ardboyz and grunta mount weapons) and just the threat of Blizzard will make your opponent jumpy.

Heck, a second shaman may be worth considering just to have both Hand of Gork and Hoarfrost. Throwing six pigs violent fury and -3 rend into the opponent's backline could be insane.

I'll also echo Tomplex a bit - footboss is great, and with 20 ardboyz I'd probably keep one in 10 but then have two units of 5. Get a bit of flexibility to go hold points while still having a big central anchor that's a great Violent Fury target.

• 1 month later...

There are some solid new units in the new Ironjawz supplement!  A full army of Maw-gruntas and a couple support weirdos seems highly viable and FUN.  Plain old Brutes still rock though for foot guys.  The new Ardboyz though are awesome models, and the Rally on them could prove very very worthwhile.  Still.... BIG PIGGS!  I'd go with them were I to build Ironjawz now, maybe with a Maw-Krusha too.

I wanna see them fight a Stonehorn army.  And Brutes fight Ironguts.

8 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

There are some solid new units in the new Ironjawz supplement!  A full army of Maw-gruntas and a couple support weirdos seems highly viable and FUN.  Plain old Brutes still rock though for foot guys.  The new Ardboyz though are awesome models, and the Rally on them could prove very very worthwhile.  Still.... BIG PIGGS!  I'd go with them were I to build Ironjawz now, maybe with a Maw-Krusha too.

I wanna see them fight a Stonehorn army.  And Brutes fight Ironguts.

It depends on how many big piggies you want to bring, It could be a thought fit but it will be fun indeed

Another thing that can be pretty brutal is Zoggrok buffing a reinforced unit of small piggies with spears. According to the war scroll it says all the weapons so this means that also affects the tusks and hooves? If so we are talking about a maximum of 7 extra mortal wounds (realistic perhaps 4 to 5)  on top of the mortal wounds that can pull at 2+ on the charge plus the regular damage that they might be able to pull. The problem is that Zoggrok is 160 points, but besides that, it could be another support weirdo alongside the war chanter. I'm already picturing them one at the side to the other making some sort of percussion ensemble, one hitting the anvil squig with the hammer and the other one hitting the bones stick together meanwhile singing "Wu ho! smash! Orruks gonna stomp! Wu ho! krush! Hummies bones chomp!"

Edited by OrcaLullaby
  • Like 1

I don't now how to rate the pigs yet.

Zoggrok seems really good. Ragerz are strong for their points (just 100!); I can imagine Da Choppas with multiple Ragerz units, all buffed by Warchanters and that is scary. Ardboyz: I play mostly with my Seraphon now and the new Ardboyz are very much like Saurus. Very solid warscroll, both defensive and offensive use is viable. 

26 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Big difference: Warforger is 90 points and not unique, Zoggrok is 160 points and unique. 

True, but the Warforger is undercosted. Zoggrok, on the other hand, does not require constant protection from harassing skirmishers - this is the shared trait of the IJ heroes, which I really appreciate. One time, a unit of annoying, teleporting Tree-Revenants captured my Warchanter, treating him as any other stray supporting hero - the moment he retaliated with his 6 D3 damage attack, the Sylvaneth player realised that every Orruk slaps hard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

Big difference: Warforger is 90 points and not unique, Zoggrok is 160 points and unique. 

Another difference though is Zoggrok's MW thingie is on a straight up 4+ with the tongs, and is not a spell so can't be unbound.  Magic can fail hard.  Plus you can only cast the spell once no matter how many Warforgers there are, but they do have the save buff bubble on multiple fronts, so yes, I need another 1 or 2 of them.

• Like 1

So, for someone starting out, do you think the Start Collecting box is still worth it? It's still cheaper than a box of pigs and the warchanter, but the aardboyz don't work 1-1 with the new kit. I've been thinking of expanding from Kruleboyz to a Big Waagh/Ironjawz force, but I'm at a loss of what to buy.

5 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Another difference though is Zoggrok's MW thingie is on a straight up 4+ with the tongs, and is not a spell so can't be unbound.  Magic can fail hard.  Plus you can only cast the spell once no matter how many Warforgers there are, but they do have the save buff bubble on multiple fronts, so yes, I need another 1 or 2 of them.

Yeah, to be clear I'm not saying he isn't good, or that he might not even be very good, I just feel like a big part of what makes Warforgers so egregious is they are functionally nearly free.

18 minutes ago, Squark said:

So, for someone starting out, do you think the Start Collecting box is still worth it? It's still cheaper than a box of pigs and the warchanter, but the aardboyz don't work 1-1 with the new kit. I've been thinking of expanding from Kruleboyz to a Big Waagh/Ironjawz force, but I'm at a loss of what to buy.

If I could find one if probably buy it (I've looked around, but can't). I think that if you want Goregruntas then the answer is yes. Before this second wave every Ironjawz army included at least one Warchanter (sometimes as many as three) so together with Gruntas the box becomes worth it. I doubt Warchanters will stop being taken so I think the box remains good if you want the Gruntas.

As for whether you want Gruntas, only you can answer that. Personally I really like them but I get the impression some people think they look bad. They used to be pretty much an autotake in Ironjawz lists, but perhaps the new units will change that.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 11:26 PM, JerekKruger said:

As for whether you want Gruntas, only you can answer that. Personally I really like them but I get the impression some people think they look bad. They used to be pretty much an autotake in Ironjawz lists, but perhaps the new units will change that.

This is the single greatest benefit of this new IJ wave. Previously, the Gruntas were almost always the "correct" (and boring) choice. Now, we can really embrace the infantry force; with new Ardboys, old Brutes and new fast Brutes this army can be so much more than Krushas & Gruntas alpha strike. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Flippy said:

This is the single greatest benefit of this new IJ wave. Previously, the Gruntas were almost always the "correct" (and boring) choice. Now, we can really embrace the infantry force; with new Ardboys, old Brutes and new fast Brutes this army can be so much more than Krushas & Gruntas alpha strike. 

Yep, it's really nice feeling like you have an actual choice now.