Low Model Count SCE List

Turragor

So I could list all the lists I have made but thats boring and long winded.

I thought it better to ask, is it worth taking a low model count SCE army to a tourney?

Say I take a LCoSD, LCoD, 2 Concussors (or I can paint up arms for fulminators). That's a hard hitting set of units there. Good saves on them all too. However, they've only a total of 33 wounds between them.

If someone has the capacity to throw out a lot of mortal wounds and I've no port or lightning strike deployment I will lose some expensive models.

If I'm careful with points in the hero section and focus on a paladin hammerstrike as my main 'ooof' I can get 30 wounds more than a list that looks tougher when setup (4 dracoths and a star drake). And I've a lot more troops for captures and the like.

It's tourney 1 for me. No expectations and stormcast big cavalry has a real nice feel to it. Perhaps going for the fun factor is best!

I was just wondering if people thought SCE can truly play like a low model count army (beastclaw being a true low model count army for instance)? Or is it just a gimmick and a bit of fun?

Having been to that tourney, the lists there was quite soft last time. I hade a fluffy beastmen only list and placed in the middle. The winner had a pure skaven army without stormfiend or the skyre battalion (i think), the runner up hade a pure bloodbound army (plus 2 skullcannons). Other lists were for example a Fyreslayers only army, a fluffy mortal nurgle army with some biletrolls, Archaon + Varanguard and some dragon ogors and no buffing heros really, a fluffy disspossed army, a death army without Nagash (when he was a strong choice) or neferata, some ogors without any beastclaw raider etc...

It might be a bit tougher this time (more players, the returning player having played more and added stuff to their lists). But my guess is that it is going to be a very friendly enviroment so if you are not really really going for the win you can take pretty much whatever you think is cool and you will have some fun competitive games.

I would love to see some stardrakes and dracoths on the table and together with some judicators I think it will be a strong list in that enviroment.

That is my guess.

Stardrake coupled with dracoth guard will always be a competitive selection. But, from recent games ive played, I've been using skyborne slayers, celestant prime, knight venator, prosecutors with javelins and 2 fulminators and I must say, nothing is defeating me. My most recent opponent brought 2 durthu's, 2 treemen ancients and a tonne of dryads and those 5 wound hunter things. I tabled him. I think with that build it suites me perfectly.

moral of my story is find a list that works for you. Certain people take to certain units/tactics better than others. not a lot of people would agree with me here, but i would take the celestant prime over 10 retributors any day of the week. But, that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2016 at 0:36 AM, Andreas said:

I would love to see some stardrakes and dracoths on the table and together with some judicators I think it will be a strong list in that enviroment.

I made a list I thought was pretty competitive using my painted models and then, basically following this line of reasoning, scrapped it and went for:

Leaders
Lord Celestant On Stardrake (600)
- General
- Trait: Reckless
Lord Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- Artefact: Obstinate Blade
Lord Relictor (80)

Units
Judicators x 5 (160)
- Skybolt Bows
Judicators x 5 (160)
- Skybolt Bows
Liberators x 5 (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
Concussors x 2 (280)
Paladin Protectors x 5 (200)
Paladin Decimators x 5 (200)

I can see myself having fun with this :) I think I'll risk more difficult games with it but when things go nicely it'll be swell!

On 24 September 2016 at 0:33 AM, Dracothjay said:

Stardrake coupled with dracoth guard will always be a competitive selection. But, from recent games ive played, I've been using skyborne slayers, celestant prime, knight venator, prosecutors with javelins and 2 fulminators and I must say, nothing is defeating me. My most recent opponent brought 2 durthu's, 2 treemen ancients and a tonne of dryads and those 5 wound hunter things. I tabled him. I think with that build it suites me perfectly.

moral of my story is find a list that works for you. Certain people take to certain units/tactics better than others. not a lot of people would agree with me here, but i would take the celestant prime over 10 retributors any day of the week. But, that's just me.

Are you playing Scenarios?

49 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I can see myself having fun with this :) I think I'll risk more difficult games with it but when things go nicely it'll be swell!

Lets hope I am right about the friendly enviroment. :)

I saw on stridshammaren that someone is bringing a Deathlords army! This against Nagash and some morghast would be awsome if that is the list.

2 hours ago, TDK said:

re you playing Scenarios

Indeed I am. I keep my slayers skyborne and if I need to hold objectives on my side for point scoring I put my fulminators on them, and if the model count has to be over 5 to score points then I bunk the prosecutors there also. Before the enemy can come to my end I drop my slayers and that then buys time to score enough points then reinforce with my auxiliary force late game.

I've mentioned it before, but at the Aussie tournament championships this immensely talented Stormcast player won with LCoSD, 4 fulminators, vexillor to port the dracoth's and filled up on BATTLELINE with a castellant throwing saves out. He steamrolled everything. At first I was thinking he was overwhelmed every match up, but those fulminators porting in and ruining his opponents day was incredible to watch. All his vids r on YouTube. Brilliant watch if u have time.

Archived