Aelves lore question aos

Kempak

I've just finished reading prince maesa quite a good book I've enjoyed it won't drop any spoilers but it's had me thinking about aos lores with the aelves.

Now before idoneth lumineth etc, they had retreated into high azyr. But if I'm not mistaken this has been Retconned into just morathi, malerion, teclis and tyrion awakening couldn't find any other aelves, trapped slaanesh then dividing the eaten souls amongst eachother.

My question therefore is where do the wanderers and remaining wfb aelves that are left in sigmar fit in? Is it just rule of cool, is there a reason i.e. okay slaanesh didn't quite get them all and teclis etc didn't quite look far enough? Just it seems to contradict eachother and is bugging me.

the lore writers deliberately leave  this part of background vague for further development potential, so far the only explanation is some elves of the old world survived the ET by some methods, the heaven of lileath included. But their number is so small,  aelven gods tried to bring more of their races back by trapping slaanesh

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 1

My interpretation is that a relative handful of Aelves survived the fall of the old world and made their way to the mortal realms. The wanderers initially cosied up to Alarielle, but did something to seriously annoy her. After that Sigmar took them all under his wing. Teclis and Morathi saw the small number of Aelves that followed Sigmar and said. "WTF! Where is everyone?" They headed off to their respective respective realms but having failed to find anyone else, hatched their plan to capture Slaanesh. 

• Like 1

The newest Hedonites tome actually brings that up with the connection being hinted at Lileath’s Haven(the dimension she made when the world was ending but Belakor found and attacked it presumably destroying it) having it’s last survivors appear in Azyr during the Age of Myth.

So that’s the rundown.

Aelven gods find the Realms but are lost and can’t find any other aelves.

Since they physically can’t cross into eachothers Realm of Light & Shadow, Malerion, Morathi, Tyrion & Teclis find eachother and parley in the Realm of Death to search for any aelf souls. This leads them to discovering dimensional spirit monks that lead them to the twilight sub-realm of Uhl-Gysh to continue looking but just keep note of it for it’s shifting eldritch nature being a superb hiding place.

They eventually run into Sigmar that leads them to Azyr where they find their people from the broken world. From there the aelves are encouraged to spread beyond and rebuild their magic kingdoms, attuning with nature & god-beasts, Darklings bioengineering drakes as there’s noticeable few of them too(thanks to Kragnos) and even spreading out their faiths and deaths to help form new aelven Underworlds in Shyish for their souls and even help living aelves settle there:

(NightHaunt review 2022)

”One thing that this edition of their battletome does more than the last is spend quite a bit of time talking about the nature of ghosts and afterlives in the Mortal Realms in general. Some of this is stuff we would have read before in places like the main rulebook, but it dives a lot more into the minutia of it. In the Mortal Realms there are many afterlives. Essentially, if a culture believed in a specific afterlife enough, it would manifest within Shyish and once they died their souls would go there. After awhile, if that culture died off, or the living stopped believing in that afterlife, it would fade away in Shyish and all of the souls would disappear into oblivion. It also mentions how there are aelf afterlives there, that hover above the rest in the sky, and duardin afterlives that exist beneath the ground. The underworlds also weren't gated communities. It was possible for souls to wander from one to another, creating a blended culture.

All of this first started to change during the Age of Myth, when the living first started to settle in Shyish. They made their homes amongst the underworlds, some of them are direct descendants of the souls who lived there already. This caused a lot of resentment amongst some of the souls, who were offended by the vibrancy of the living, but at the same time a lot of the underworlds lived in harmony with them, as long as they helped protect the lands. This was especially true during the Age of Chaos, when the living and the dead often had to fight together to survive.”

Then the capturing of Slaanesh and putting them in Uhl-Gysh to start the extraction process to create new strains of aelves and repopulate the Realms.

But mind as Whitefang said a lot is left open to interpretation as the Mortal Realms are infinite so you aren’t limited on how you want to build your army origins and backgrounds. If you want World-that-Was aelves that wandered through a portal straight to the Realms or a race of Aelves created by a God-beast envious of their peoples beauty so they have no connection to the other aelves and are Realms natives then go wild. Stuff like that has already happened for both duardin(even before Gotrek) and humans.

Heck the newest Orruk lore has Bonesplitterz hunting alongside, but wary of, human cavemen as the first men they have ever encountered in Realms during the Age of Myth and the Corebook adds in the the Mortal Realms were made from the cosmic debris of multiple destroyed worlds mixing with the magic winds instead of just the World-that-was so you can have beings alien to both settings.

Aetheric skies the limit!

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1