Soulbound General Question

Hello,

my group has been playing a (8 years long) Warhammer Fantasy DnD Campaign. I finally managed to set off the end Times and get the group to Age of Sigmar.
As we are using the DnD 5e Rules witha lot of homebrewed units (Skaven, Chaos Demons, etc.) I was wondering how the Soulbound RPG plays and whether it'd be possible to convert Characters, NPCs and Monsters from Soulbound to DnD.
The same question goes for Weapons (do they have a statline in Soulbound?)

If the answer to those questions is yes I'll buy the Soulbound pdfs. (We sadly don't have enough time to switch our entire System and characters to the Soulbound rules)

Cheers
Jack

Just now, JackStreicher said:

Hello,

my group has been playing a (8 years long) Warhammer Fantasy DnD Campaign. I finally managed to set off the end Times and get the group to Age of Sigmar.
As we are using the DnD 5e Rules witha lot of homebrewed units (Skaven, Chaos Demons, etc.) I was wondering how the Soulbound RPG plays and whether it'd be possible to convert Characters, NPCs and Monsters from Soulbound to DnD.
The same question goes for Weapons (do they have a statline in Soulbound?)

If the answer to those questions is yes I'll buy the Soulbound pdfs. (We sadly don't have enough time to switch our entire System and characters to the Soulbound rules)

Cheers
Jack

The Soulbound system uses completely different mechanics to DnD 5e (or any edition of DnD for that matter). Translating monster or character stats would be very difficult to the point where you would be doing most of the design work yourself. Without exaggeration, translating the actual AoS warscrolls to DnD seems like about the same amount of work.

Soulbound is a very fun RPG in my experience, and as you say the books, artwork, and background material is generally of excellent quality.  However it doesn't play much like D&D5 at all, the base rules are somewhat simpler (characters have only 3 core stats and a couple of class/faction features, for example) so directly transferring statblocks won't work.  That said weapons/spells/etc. do all have detailed stats which could at least provide inspiration for D&D-style versions, there's even a section for helping players create their own custom spells/prayers in the core Soulbound book, which might be useful.

I'd say of you get a chance to leaf through the core book you'd probably be able to get a better idea of how feasible moving elements into D&D would be, it does depend a little on how fast and loose your group are with the rules!

• Thanks 1

I'll echo what others have said. In terms of actual usable stats and mechanics, there is no real advantage to trying to convert from Soulbound vs trying to convert from mass battle scale AoS stats. In both cases you will be looking at a profile which describes how things behave and having to pick D&D stats that match, or evoke the same feel. Its all doable, but starting from the RPG won't be any easier than starting from the wargame.

Where getting the books is most likely to be of use would be as inspiration, background, lore etc for you and your players. Even if converting an actual adventure would be too much work, you could still use locations, ideas etc. with little difficulty. Its also a great set of books to read up on the world, and what adventuring parties do in the mortal realms.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

I'll echo what others have said. In terms of actual usable stats and mechanics, there is no real advantage to trying to convert from Soulbound vs trying to convert from mass battle scale AoS stats. In both cases you will be looking at a profile which describes how things behave and having to pick D&D stats that match, or evoke the same feel. Its all doable, but starting from the RPG won't be any easier than starting from the wargame.

Where getting the books is most likely to be of use would be as inspiration, background, lore etc for you and your players. Even if converting an actual adventure would be too much work, you could still use locations, ideas etc. with little difficulty. Its also a great set of books to read up on the world, and what adventuring parties do in the mortal realms.

Thx!

i could also use the story of adventures! :)

• Like 1