Goblins for the win!

Vespan

Hi!

Some time ago I presented a gitmob + spiderfang list which won me my last local tournament (1660 points).

Spoiler

General: Grot big boss on gigantic spider, talisman of protection, bellowing tyrant [100]

10 Grot spider riders [200]

Arachnarok with catchweb spidershrine [280]

-----Battalion: Great Gitmob [100]

Grom the Paunch [120]

Grot shaman [80]

40 Gitmob Grots, spears [200]

40 Gitmob Grots, spears [200]

20 Gitmob Grots, spears [100]

10 Wolf riders, bows [200]

6 Nasty skulkers [80]

Total 1660/1660

The next one is 1220 points and I decided to bring something fluffy and little more friendly:

Moonclan Grot Warboss, squig companion, prodder (old metal Skarsnik :) ), bellowing tyrant, talisman of protection/ battle brew [80]

Moonclan Grot Shaman [60]

40 Moonclan Grots, swords, 6 netters [240]

2  Fanatics [60]

40 Moonclan Grots, spears, 5 netters [240]

2  Fanatics [60]

20 Cave Squigs [240]

2  Squig herders [20]

2  Squig herders [20]

3  Throggoths/ Aleguzzler Gargant [200/180]

So the army would be a medium grot warband, that crawled out of the mountain caves bringing some squigs and trolls with them.

Big units of grots with nets and fanatics are very universal- decent damage, good objective holders, good for tarpit, charge controll, resistant to shooting.

Squigs are for the damage (with bellowing tyrant and and herders they are 3+/3+/-1/D3)

Throggots or Gargant are for some sand-alone killing power that do not need inspiring presence/ bellowing tyrant etc. to do their job.

The army should work decently... I think :)

Too dumb to die is great but recently I also concider Felwater -1 to hit in CC. Unless someone is lucky with trhowing 4+ the lower hit can be better. Pitty that stone trolls (or whatever they are now) are so bad compared to other troggoths.

2 hours ago, Vespan said:

Oh, I don't know how I missed that! That is a considerable difference indeed!

I thought so - it's an easy miss, I also overlooked it early on. Without it, yeah, the rockguts would be a significantly poorer choice.

And, how OP is a great gitmob anyway? It looks killer. I'm surprised you didn't have a unit of bows, as the to hit bonus affects them as well.

Also, are the nasty skulkers good? Or just good when you're lucky? How did you deploy them?

1 hour ago, Furious said:

I thought so - it's an easy miss, I also overlooked it early on. Without it, yeah, the rockguts would be a significantly poorer choice.

And, how OP is a great gitmob anyway? It looks killer. I'm surprised you didn't have a unit of bows, as the to hit bonus affects them as well.

Also, are the nasty skulkers good? Or just good when you're lucky? How did you deploy them?

the bonus only work on combat phase, doesnt it? you cant shoot on comat phases, so it doesnt affect the bows

Nasty skulkers are good in batalion becouse of +1 hit if they outnumber the enemy. In unit of 6 this will trigger mortal wounds on 5+ vs small units and monsters. Bows work also nice. The downside is that this blobs of goblins shine most with inspiring presence, and spiders want their command ability at the same time. But since i learned not to rush spiders into combat and wiat for good moment, that problem somehow dissapeared. Wolf riders are also very nice in this batalion. Good shooting, great speed and wolfs usualy making two 3+/3+ attacks.

No, but in Great Gitmob it is 4+/4+ and they are better with bows than other weapons, becouse they will usualy stay behind guarding my objective etc. (I mean the small unit of 20 grots, 2x40 are for meele).

As for Great Moonclan, it doesn't seem as good as Great Gitmob (that's probably fair, becouse moonclan grots are just better than gitmob grots). Nevertheless it can be stron in some combinations:

Great Moonclan battalion bonus allows you to make an additional attack when you roll 6 or more to hit...

Now you have a unit of suigs that hit on 5+ BUT they get +1 to hit from herders and +1 from bellowing tyrant trait on your general.

This will make them hit on 3+ and generate an additional attack on 4+. This is 50% more hits that chomp really hard :)

I cant play gitmob for the life of me. I think they lack personality, idk...

That said, they have the warmachines and the pumpwagon...

If gw make them the "mad scientists", hell, make them the aos orks - big crazy inventions, well, then ill be the first to jump in.

Right now im all in moonclan, cos the little bastads ooze character. And squigs.

Spiders are cool, i might make a mob, but not a priority, idk.

3 hours ago, Vespan said:

No, but in Great Gitmob it is 4+/4+ and they are better with bows than other weapons, becouse they will usualy stay behind guarding my objective etc. (I mean the small unit of 20 grots, 2x40 are for meele).

As for Great Moonclan, it doesn't seem as good as Great Gitmob (that's probably fair, becouse moonclan grots are just better than gitmob grots). Nevertheless it can be stron in some combinations:

Great Moonclan battalion bonus allows you to make an additional attack when you roll 6 or more to hit...

Now you have a unit of suigs that hit on 5+ BUT they get +1 to hit from herders and +1 from bellowing tyrant trait on your general.

This will make them hit on 3+ and generate an additional attack on 4+. This is 50% more hits that chomp really hard :)

The thing with moonclan battalion is (correct me if im wrong, cos i may be) that you get a bonus on 6+, for hit, whereas all the bonus the units have are for wound rolls.

Archived