Retributor Armour Spray

Hi all,

Does anyone else have issues with Retributor Armour spray? I've done everything the interwebs has suggested, even asked some GW employees for advice and no matter what the colour comes out this weird brownish gold colour with sparkles.  Initially I thought it was just my spray can because the models sprayed from my previous can came out amazing (this was around 2018), but the can I bought after just to make sure  produced the same results.  I am thinking of just priming my models black and just painting retributor armour on from now on. 

1 hour ago, SugarWaterPurple said:

Hi all,

Does anyone else have issues with Retributor Armour spray? I've done everything the interwebs has suggested, even asked some GW employees for advice and no matter what the colour comes out this weird brownish gold colour with sparkles.  Initially I thought it was just my spray can because the models sprayed from my previous can came out amazing (this was around 2018), but the can I bought after just to make sure  produced the same results.  I am thinking of just priming my models black and just painting retributor armour on from now on. 

No first hand experience on my part, but "brownish colour with sparkles" sounds like the metallic pigment is not well distributed in the medium. Is it possible that you didn't shake the can enough before using it? Another possibility could be that the internal pressure of the can was too low to propel the heavy metallic pigment properly. Did you maybe store the can in a cold place?

In any case, it might be worth warming the can up in some warm water, giving it a good shake, and spraying a test piece to see if the problem goes away.

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

No first hand experience on my part, but "brownish colour with sparkles" sounds like the metallic pigment is not well distributed in the medium. Is it possible that you didn't shake the can enough before using it? Another possibility could be that the internal pressure of the can was too low to propel the heavy metallic pigment properly. Did you maybe store the can in a cold place?

In any case, it might be worth warming the can up in some warm water, giving it a good shake, and spraying a test piece to see if the problem goes away.

I haven't tried putting it in warm water yet (a GW employee advised against it), but honestly if I want to use it as a spray I don't have any more options.  I just find it weird that both sprays I bought do this colour but the one I had in 2018 was fine...starting to wonder if they changed the mixture or something?

13 hours ago, SugarWaterPurple said:

I haven't tried putting it in warm water yet (a GW employee advised against it), but honestly if I want to use it as a spray I don't have any more options. 

I understand why they advised against it, because they would have to. If a customer ends up overheating a paint can and makes it explode on the advice of a GW employee, that would be trouble!

People who store their spray paint in unheated rooms like a garage or shed sometimes have problems getting good results with them when the weather turns cold. In that case, bringing the can up to temperature with warm (not hot or boiling) water from your sink can help. Alternatively you can try storing the paint in a heated room for a while, which should also work. Only if you suspect that this might indeed be the problem, though. If you store your spray paint in your house, temperature is probably not what is causing your issue.

5 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I understand why they advised against it, because they would have to. If a customer ends up overheating a paint can and makes it explode on the advice of a GW employee, that would be trouble!

People who store their spray paint in unheated rooms like a garage or shed sometimes have problems getting good results with them when the weather turns cold. In that case, bringing the can up to temperature with warm (not hot or boiling) water from your sink can help. Alternatively you can try storing the paint in a heated room for a while, which should also work. Only if you suspect that this might indeed be the problem, though. If you store your spray paint in your house, temperature is probably not what is causing your issue.

Yeah I store them in my house and they are at room temperature, but I do prime them in my garage.  I am going to try what you said and I really appreciate the advice.  If it fails then from now on in I'm just going to prime these stormcast guys black and just paint retributor armour on. Maybe I am just really unlucky and got back-to-back bad spray cans because all my other primers in the same conditions work perfectly fine.

• Like 1