AoS3- Big Waaagh!

Dahawi

2 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

So now I debate between glowing tattoos or Arcane Tome which I would bring either Bash ‘Em Ladz or possibly Green Hand of Gork to teleport my Brutes up field. 

Wurrgog with Glowing Tattoos is probably the strongest thing we have at the moment. IMO he's essential for any warclans list that can take him.

EDIT: Also worth noting that fixin' beat doesn't specify Ironjawz so you can use it to heal him.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Wurrgog with Glowing Tattoos is probably the strongest thing we have at the moment. IMO he's essential for any warclans list that can take him.

EDIT: Also worth noting that fixin' beat doesn't specify Ironjawz so you can use it to heal him.

I was actually going to mention that myself incase that’s the reason people were taking a Wardokk because the +1 to cast doesn’t seem particularly essential. The Wurrgog’s own battle scroll spell doesn’t seem like a must have cast to get off and neither do any of the Bonesplittaz lore spells which all kind of suck imo. I mean fight last is nice but I don’t feel like I have to have it. 

Just now, Ravinsild said:

I was actually going to mention that myself incase that’s the reason people were taking a Wardokk because the +1 to cast doesn’t seem particularly essential. The Wurrgog’s own battle scroll spell doesn’t seem like a must have cast to get off and neither do any of the Bonesplittaz lore spells which all kind of suck imo. I mean fight last is nice but I don’t feel like I have to have it. 

So the idea is, early on you can buff up the Wurrgog, fists of gork has a good range and mystic shield is great on the MK. Combine the Wardokk +1 with the big waaagh +1 and you are now +2 to cast/dispel/unbind which lets you compete with real casters.

Later on you can use the mask to deal horrific mortal wound output, then heal with the wardokk + warchanter + heroic action. I had a game where he obliterated an entire unit of 10 blood knights from full health then got healed back to full in the same hero phase.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question.

You know how the Megaboss on Maw-Krusha can issue the same command up to 3 times? Does it have to happen all at once or can I “bank” them?

For example, my MBMK is the one issuing All Out Defense in the shooting phase. They target my Gore-Gruntas and so I apply it to them. Can I now wait until they target another unit and so long as they’re wholly within 18” apply it to them? Or instead would I have to immediately apply it to 2 other units and just hope my opponents shoots them now?

Or I guess doesn’t shoot them idk.

Could be interesting to be a deterrent to misdirect into another unit I guess, if you have to select targets all at once. I guess this goes for any “reactionary” command ability such as redeploy or, for example, the re-roll charge rolls one. Can I bank the second and third one for units who fail a charge later in the charge phase assuming they’re within range of receiving the command? 

6 hours ago, broche said:

kind of overlap with the +1 to hit from BW allegience, so meh

yeah that was what I was concerned about, at same time figured he migth be worth as u likely won't reach 16pts without being in combat? 

• 5 weeks later...

Went to the WHW matched play event last weekend, did pretty poorly and only went 2-3 but I thought I'd do a recap with some basic thoughts for people.

List+comments

Spoiler

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
- Grand Strategy: Waaagh!
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Command Trait: Hulking Brute
- Artefact: Armour of Gork
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (115)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Warchanter (115)
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
- Lore of the Weird: Foot of Gork
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Wurrgog Prophet (150)
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate
Wardokk (80)
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (320)***
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Gutrippaz (180)***
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)***
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)****
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)****
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Prismatic Palisade (40)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord
***Bounty Hunters
****Expert Conquerors

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 148
Drops: 13

So few things to note.

• The gutrippaz are in the list because I put a lot of work into painting them and love the models, in general they are bad and should just be 2 more units of ardboys or a unit of brutes.
  • Prismatic palisade is because I see 45 points spare and have a need to use them. It should just be left out to both gain the triumph and deny the opponents.
  • Levitate is there but I never used it. The wardokk will always dance for either the +1 to unbind or the heal on the wurrgog. The wurrgog will use his mask or fist+mystic shield.
  • For some reason I played as if Waaagh! required 2 units from general/battleline. which means I didn't play for it when I should have done and didn't score it in game 5 when I should have. 

Game 1
Win vs Kruelboyz on Prize of Gallet

His List/Result

Spoiler

Allegiance: Kruleboyz
- Warclan: Grinnin' Blades
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs

Leaders
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (315)
- General
- Command Trait: Supa Sneaky
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
- Lore of the Swamp: Nasty Hex
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)

Battleline
10 x Gutrippaz (180)
10 x Gutrippaz (180)
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz (80)

Behemoths
Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur (400)
- Allies

Purple Sun of Shyish (70)
Horrorghast (40)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 98
Drops: 1

3-2

The Game

Spoiler

He took turn 1,
Super sneaky the arcane sludgeraker into my front line as I had my MK with only a unit of Ardboyz in front of it. He tried to cast Nasty Hex but I denied it. The sludgeraker couldn't get into 1" of the MK, did 4 damage to it but wiped out the unit of Ardboyz. MK then piled in and ripped it in half. Incarnate also bum rushed my right flank.

I pushed forward, killed the hobgrots with brutes/ardboys and the MK wiped a unit of gutripperz. Due to his pile in I managed to get the boss and one special weapon of the brutes into his other gutripperz which killed 7(!) of them, damage 4 on them is disgusting. The gutripperz got chucked into the incarnate and had 2 models left.

He got prio turn 2, chucked both his remaining sludge rakers into the cabbage, kruelboyz waaagh to activate both before I could attack and proceeded to wiff so hard it was unreal. MK lived on 2 wounds, killed one sludgeraker. And incarnate finished the gutripperz. My turn 2 I killed his other sludgeraker and chucked some ardboyz to stall the incarnate.

I won prio turn 3 he conceded.

Honestly his sludgeraker rolls were horrific, all 3 of them only did 18 wounds to him total. Bounty hunter brutes ravaged his line and I fed the incarnate chaff until it was alone then just kited it round the board.

Game 2
Loss vs Maggotkin In the Presence of Idols 
His List/Result

Spoiler

Allegiance: Maggotkin of Nurgle
- Subfaction: Drowned Men
- Grand Strategy: No Place for the Weak

Leaders
Lord of Afflictions (210)
- General
- Command Trait: Overpowering Stench
- Artefact: The Splithorn Helm
Lord of Afflictions (210)
- Lore of Malignance: Rancid Visitations
Bloab Rotspawned (300)
- Lore of Malignance: Gift of Disease
Orghotts Daemonspew (300)
Morbidex Twiceborn (320)

Battleline
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)

Core Battalions
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Bounty Hunters

Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Wounds: 103
Drops: 8

5-0 (First Place)

The Game

Spoiler

This game largely played out in the first two turns. He deployed entirely on the board with no deepstrike.

I was give first turn, I moved up cautiously and prepared to receive a charge. He charged forward and the whole thing very quickly devolved into a giant mess. He got prio turn 2 and by the start of turn 3 he'd lost all 3 units of flies while I was down the MK, wurrgog, brutes, and warchanter with foot and 3 units of ardboyz.

I scrambled for objectives but he denied hand of gork 3/4 and I miss cast it turn 5.

The game ended 15-22, I got 4 of my battle tactics. If I'd managed to get turn 2 prio or a hand of gork off it would have been very close. The biggest problem I would have had was I was that I couldn't have scored by Grand Strat which would have swung it for him imo.

Bounty hunters on the flies really showed how obnoxious that battalion is. The jump from 1 damage to 2 meant he ripped through my infantry easily. His ward saves were also ungodly, the MK stomped a unit of flies turn 1 and he saved 6 of the 7 mortals. Meanwhile on turn 2 his general had a 3+ ward up which tanked the foot, wurrgog and MK to live on a wound.

I made a pretty huge misplay in his turn 2 by moving the MK into 3 of his general. It meant that when I stomped the flies who were tying him up I couldn't pile in and stomp the general, that was the 1 wound I needed. Had I killed him I would have had my MK going into 3 and turned off his 7" CA blocker.

In retrospect the game was actually much better/closer than I realised at the time.

Game 3
Minor Loss vs Soulblight on The Lurkers Below
His List/Result

Spoiler

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Legion of Night
- Grand Strategy: Lust for Domination

Leaders
Mannfred von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (380)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Decrepify
Vengorian Lord (280)
- General
- Command Trait: Terrifying Visage
- Artefact: Chiropteran Cloak
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Necromancer (125)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Lore of the Vampires: Spirit Gale

Battleline
10 x Deathrattle Skeletons (80)
30 x Deathrattle Skeletons (240)
- Reinforced x 2
3 x Vargheists (155)

Units
20 x Grave Guard (280)
- Wight Blades & Crypt Shields
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Blood Knights (195)
1 x Corpse Cart with Balefire Brazier (80)

Chronomantic Cogs (40)

Core Battalions
*Bounty Hunters
**Expert Conquerors
***Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Wounds: 125
Drops: 10

3-2

The Game

Spoiler

He only deployed 10 skeles, manfred, a necro and the corpse cart onto the board.

Turn 1 it's almost impossible to score any of the battletactics. so I decided to go for I was given Prio turn 1 and teleported my MK across the board 13" away, MD to 3" then charged the skeles. Other than that I screened and pushed up the board.

Scream/Stomp left 3 skeles. I piled into Manfred and split my attacks, due to the -1 to wound from the corpse cart I left 1 skele alive and tickled manfred who then put 8 wounds onto him. This pile in cost me the game on it's own. He charged bloodknights into the MK who promptly stomped 2 of them then killed another one in melee (damn -1 wound aura).

He gets prio turn 2, he debuffs the hell out of the MK (-4 attacks and -2 to damage???) then chucks a ton of stuff into at it and manages to kill it. Meanwhile 20 graveguard turn up then fail to charge the brutes. At the end of his turn 1 I claim my objective.

My turn 2 I claim the central objective, the brutes remove 20 graveguard from the board, I manage to lose 5 ardboys to the 2 bloodknights (bounty hunters again) and then the gutripperz finish them off.

I get prio turn 3, desperately attempt to take his objective and fail because of 10 skeletons with expert conquerer.

I get prio turn 4 and once again fail to get the objective because of 10 skeletons with expert conquerer, I did appreciate my 10 attacks from bounty ardboys doing nothing to those skeles...

He gets prio turn 5, I select my home objective as proving ground so he can't take it despite getting the central objective. I've got a weirdnob/warchanter left and the game ends.

The end result was 4 battle tactics each, he got the minor for having his grand strat while I didn't. Had I scored the tactic turn 1 it would have been a minor to me.

This game is super hard to critique because it was so damn hot. Both my opponent and I were dripping with sweat by the end of deployment and made a ton of errors/forgot things etc. My turn 3/4 chucking stuff at his objective was to try and end the game asap.

Only takeaway here was that I now know the corpse cart has a -1 wound aura and I shouldn't have piled into manfred.

Game 4
Win vs Gitz on Head-On Collision
His List/Result

Spoiler

This guy was a last min sub who wrote his list the night before. He didn't have any battalions etc. so obviously me stomping him shows massive skillz.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
- Grand Strategy: 

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (290)
- General
- Command Trait: Fight Another Day
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moon-cutta
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moon-cutta

Battleline
12 x Squig Herd (160)
12 x Squig Herd (160)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (210)
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (210)
- Reinforced x 1

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (275)
Mangler Squigs (275)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Wounds: 156
Drops: 10

2-3

The Game

Spoiler

I was given first turn and given that the only battle tactic which I had available being Desecrate I pushed into the middle with two ardboy units protecting the Brutes. I also didn't position to claim my home objective as I wanted the extra VP if I was doubled. Other than that I positioned defensively while making sure the Wurgog was within 12" of the front line.

His general charged into one of the ardboy units for this ones mine and hopper/boingrotted the other. Brutes responded by killing 8 boingrots. His other stuff began to flank around me.

He doubled me, I made the central objective a proving ground so only the herds could contest it. His general went into the brutes with a squig herd and they killed 5 of them with the previously charged boingrots. I then retaliated against his herd but forgot the bounty hunter damage bonus, this left enough alive to claim the mid objective.

My turn 2 I claimed the middle and my home objective, MK stomped 8 boingrots and then piled into his general, killing it. Wurgog stared the hoppers off the board while the brutes cleaned up in mid. I got the double, cleaned up the boingrots, killed another mangler and just generally took control of the board.

The matchup, terrain and battle plan all favoured me. His lack of battalions obviously hurt him but I don't think it made any material difference to the game. This was essentially a freebee which I won if I didn't mess up.

Game 5 
Loss vs Soulblight on The Silksteel Nests
His List/Result

Spoiler

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Legion of Night
- Grand Strategy: Lust for Domination

Leaders
Necromancer (125)
- General
- Command Trait: Unbending Will
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)
- Deathlance
- Mount Trait: Foetid Miasma
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Mannfred von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (380)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Soul Harvest
Vampire Lord (140)**
- Lore of the Vampires: Soulpike

Battleline
30 x Deathrattle Skeletons (240)***
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Dire Wolves (135)***
10 x Dire Wolves (135)***
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (120)**

Units
20 x Grave Guard (280)**
- Great Wight Blades
- Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Battle Regiment
***Expert Conquerors

Additional Enhancements
Spell

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Wounds: 146
Drops: 7

3-2

The Game

Spoiler

There were 3 huge pieces of terrain across the middle of the board, 2 of which were garrison. It left two small passes in the middle of them.

After being given first turn I decided to use mighty destroyers to allow myself to garision with my brutes in the middle piece and bounty hunter ardboys in the right piece. I also teleported the wurgog forward so that I could place prismatic palisade in the right hand pass which with 5 ardboys placed behind it meant that he couldn't enter the right hand pass properly. His first turn he threw his 20 graveguard into then brutes and wiped them out, while manfred sat in my left pass using pompoms.

I was given prio turn 2. The wurgog used his mask on the graveguard, killed 4 and then himself. At which point I gave up all pretences at strategy and push across the board as hard as I could. Bounty hunter Ardboys went into the wolves on his far-right objective with the WC +1 damage and proceded to kill a single wolf. The weridnob, wardokk, a WC and unit of ardboys went down the right pass. I also ended up awkwardly holding the my end of the left pass after manfred teleported away.

The start of his turn two

• Manfred held my bottom right objective.
  • My 5 bounty hunter orruks were fighting wolves on his top right objective.
  • A unit of 5 ardboys fighting zombies at his end of the right hand pass
  • 5 Conquerer ardboys had garisioned the right hand building.
  • The other 5 conquerer ardboys were just outside of his top left objective
  • His wolves part way through the left hand pass while still preventing me teleporting into his top left objective.
  • An MK and gutripperz holding one side of the left hand pass with a WC behind them
  • 3 support characters hiding behind the palisade.

The graveguard charged the MK with the VLoZD also tagging the guttripperz. Manfred charged my weirdnob to teleport up to his top left obective. Skeles charged my bounty hunter Ardboyz, wolves moved to burn my bottom left objective.

I got turn 3, burned his top left objective, minced the graveguard, lost my gutripperz, claimed his central right objective with the ardboys from the building, the bounty hunter ardboys finished off the wolves, my warchanter buffed himself then went bonkers on the zombies reducing them down to 6. 

The game ultimately resolved with my weirdnob/wardokk beating on his vampire lord until 10 revived graveguard came to save him, my warchanter wiping out the zombies, almost killing the necro and killing ~10 skeles from deflected damage before finally dying to the necro and Bounty Hunter Ardboys doing a zombie movie heroic last stand as they were slowly dragged down by skeles. 

At the end of the game I there were 3 live objectives on the board, my bottom middle, his top right and centre-left. I had a single Ardboy boss, stood alone in the opponents territory. I should have scored by grand strat here but didn't realise I had.

Honestly this game was amazing and a ton closer than I expected it to be after I sank 470 points to kill 4 graveguard. I realised I could get 20 Waaagh! points turn two if I did 4 charges, so just went all in.

Thoughts/Conclusions

In addition to the stuff which turned up during the games there's several things which I've only realised while writing this.

First things first, Bounty Hunters is horrific. Brutes don't need it and the Ardboys don't make good use of it, not to mention that most of the stuff you want to kill is generally not battleline or has a mount. On the other hand all your stuff is vulnerable to it and is only made even more fragile by it. IMO bounty hunters really needs some sort of change, atm it just heavily favours high attack, low damage cavalry.

List wise, the gutripperz are overcosted and suck without the support pieces and I should not be running the endless spells. I love having the 4 wizards, it actually lets you deal with some of the nastier spells people throw out. The arcane tome/foot of gork is really nice to have and sometimes will just delete things for you, combined with the wurgog mask it can be devastating.

I hadn't realised how close all the games actually were until I was doing the write up. Even the nurgle game was closer points wise than I expected. The most important thing I found is how good the Warclans battle tactic options are, I scored "wait for it, ladz..." every game, twice I triggered it after being essentially tabled. I used squish da puny un's twice and only failed it once because of the Corpse Cart issue. Time to get stuck in! is tricky as I often have units zoning my backline but it comes up as an option occasionally for a freebee. Meanwhile the Waaagh! grand strat is super nice considering how much of a pita the gbh ones are.

List Changes

Primarily I'd want to remove the gutripperz and endless spell then utilise the extra points more efficiently. This is either by adding more brutes or including Gobsprakk.

Spoiler

Brute List
Swaps out the Gutripperz for 5 brutes, then upgrades a unit of 5 ardboys to 5 brutes by swapping another 2 units of 5 for hobgrots. The hobgrots function as expendable screen which isn't galitain and their run/shoot is actually super nice.

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (115)
Orruk Warchanter (115)
Wurrgog Prophet (150)
Wardokk (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (320)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Orruk Brutes (160)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (160)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)

Units

Wounds: 148

Spoiler

Gobsprakk
Trades out the gutripperz/wardokk to get gobsprakk. Gives access to the amazing Lore of the Swamp and brings two more solid unbinds. With +1/+1 he even becomes a bit of a beast in melee.

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (115)
Orruk Warchanter (115)
Wurrgog Prophet (150)
Gobsprakk, The Mouth of Mork (280)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (320)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)

Total: 1975 / 2000
Wounds: 137
Drops: 12

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Malakree said:

The most important thing I found is how good the Warclans battle tactic options are

This is such a huge deal! And the biggest edge you get for playing big waaagh imo. 

Have you considered having some pigs in your list? They synergize so well with teleport and hunters. I always have multiple pigs with me because they can threaten the backline pretty reliably with teleport. You teleport them 12" away, then use mighty destroyers to move up 9" so you get that guaranteed charge.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smash said:

This is such a huge deal! And the biggest edge you get for playing big waaagh imo. 

Have you considered having some pigs in your list? They synergize so well with teleport and hunters. I always have multiple pigs with me because they can threaten the backline pretty reliably with teleport. You teleport them 12" away, then use mighty destroyers to move up 9" so you get that guaranteed charge.

I did but honestly if I'm going pigs I'd just go for the Bloodtoofs alphastrike. It would be swapping out the 10 brutes for 6 pigs, I think I'd rather just have gobsprakk for his spells.

My list is definitely a zone control meat grinder style rather than trying to actually blitz the opponent.

EDIT: In essence it's a stylistic choice.

EDIT2: Also I just realised how amazing ironskullz boys are now. A unit wide ward save, still hitting on 3+/3+ and has rend. They also have the benefit of not being galiteian which means that against bounty hunters they actually are 8 wounds vs normal are boys effective 5.

Not to mention being 5 points CHEAPER.

Edited by Malakree

• 7 months later...

I've got an event in a few weeks and I've been toying with Big Waaagh! so I can play with my kruleboyz models and build out a more balanced force.

I threw this together:
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (170)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
- Aspect of the Champion: Fuelled by Ghurish Rage
Breaka-Boss on Mirebrute Troggoth (180)
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (290)
- General
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (100)
Skragrott, The Loonking (160)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)
10 x Gutrippaz (150)

Units
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (150)

Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (70)

Allies: 160 / 400
Wounds: 130

It feels a bit low on bodies to me, but there are a ton of threats in the list that all come in at a pretty low price point.

Wurrgog with glowin tats is great, and fuelled by ghurish rage can keep the rampage going.
The boltboyz and skragrott offer great ranged pressure, and skragrott gives a bunch of CP over the course of the game as well. Ravenak's adds just a little extra ranged output, and the list has a bunch of wizards that could cast it.
Mirebrute, Sludgeraker, & maniaks are pretty useful melee threats.
Swampcalla buffs boltboyz and brings nasty hex.
Supa sneaky lets me alpha deploy a unit of boltboyz or the mirebrute for alpha aggression, or alpha screen with the gutrippa unit.
wierdnob shaman brings hand of gork, which is a fantastic positioning piece.
I don't have the battalions but I think i'd probably try to squeeze into double battle reg. Not sure if any extra enhancements would be a big bonus to this list.

Any thoughts suggestions? Lack of a warchanter will hurt my WP, but I struggled squeezing everything in and felt it didn't add enough to this list.

• Like 1

@Ganigumo I've been playing a more IJ focused big waaagh but with gobsprakk, he's been utterly amazing with the +1 to cast/unbind, the threat of the unbind mortals is brutal and because he knows the entire lore of the swamp you can do some dirty things with him. Last weekend I managed to use sneaky miasma to move him within range to nasty hex a block of 15 hearthguard, absolutely ruined them.

I'd also say that you need a warchanter for the waaagh! points, especially as you don't have a lot of stuff to charge early with. Give him an arcane tome for the hand of gork then take fixin beat on him. Note that fixin beat just says orruk it doesn't require IJ, super good when paired with the wurrgog.

Personally I'd swap out the jawz, weirdnob and gut ripperz for 2 more units of 5 ardboys and a warchanter.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Malakree said:

@Ganigumo I've been playing a more IJ focused big waaagh but with gobsprakk, he's been utterly amazing with the +1 to cast/unbind, the threat of the unbind mortals is brutal and because he knows the entire lore of the swamp you can do some dirty things with him. Last weekend I managed to use sneaky miasma to move him within range to nasty hex a block of 15 hearthguard, absolutely ruined them.

I'd also say that you need a warchanter for the waaagh! points, especially as you don't have a lot of stuff to charge early with. Give him an arcane tome for the hand of gork then take fixin beat on him. Note that fixin beat just says orruk it doesn't require IJ, super good when paired with the wurrgog.

Personally I'd swap out the jawz, weirdnob and gut ripperz for 2 more units of 5 ardboys and a warchanter.

Arcane tome warchanter over the wierdnob is a good callout.
I know the gutrippaz are pretty bad, but I want something to throw up with supa sneaky to alpha screen if I don't get the first turn, so I'd need to put in at least a unit of hobgrots to do that with.
Gobsprakk is a good callout too, I'm more running the shaman for the spell than the buff, and I forgot gobsprakk can actually get a +1 to cast here in big waaagh.
I'll play around with the points a bit to see if I can squeeze some of that in.

I could squeeze Gobsprakk in by doing something like this where I take out ravenak's and the maniaks:

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (170)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (120)
Gobsprakk, The Mouth of Mork (260)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)

Units
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 123

Or I could squeeze in ravenak's and the warchanter by taking out the maniaks and working an extra screen in on top (Rippa's here but it could be anything 110 or cheaper)

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (170)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (120)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)

Units
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Rippa's Snarlfangs (110)
- Allies

Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (70)

Allies: 270 / 400
Wounds: 124

Or I could cut the ravenak's and the extra screen to fit in a unit of 3 Gore gruntas.

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (170)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (120)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)

Units
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 130

I like ravenak's for the ability to put pressure on screens, alongside the boltboyz and skragrott it can let me try to break open a castle if I get the first turn.
Gobsprakk in exchange is a super useful utility piece who carries the extra utility spells a normal shaman wouldn't bring.
Another possibility is instead of taking gobsprakk, I could bring a vulture boss with arcane tome, and cut out the warchanter again for the wierdnob. I lose some of gobsprakk's utility, but gain the ability to double up on commands (like double unleash hell), and get to keep the ravenak's. The gobsprakk utility is great, but double unleash hell gives me a strong anti-alpha tool.

- Grand Strategy: Waaagh!
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (500)
Gobsprakk, The Mouth of Mork (260)
Wurrgog Prophet (170)
Orruk Warchanter (120)
Orruk Warchanter (120)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Skilled Leader
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm (Galletian Champion)
- Aspect of the Champion: Tunnel Master

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (300)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Orruk Brutes (150)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (80)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord
***Galletian Veterans

Additional Enhancements
Artefact
Artefact

Wounds: 135
Drops: 11

This is what I've used in my two tournaments over the past month. Went 4-1 in the first and 3-1-1 in the second. Sadly I think the new battlescroll, which they just released, stops you taking hand of gork with an arcane tome warchanter is pretty a large nerf. Not sure how I'd get access to hand of gork anymore because the weirdnob is just awful and all the hero slots are mandatory at this point.

I think swapping Gordrakk for a standard MK and the 5 brutes for 2 units of ardboys is probably the correct choice, especially now that third artefact is available to put a wardsave on them. I'm really using him mainly because it means I have both the Fist of Gork and the Mouth of Mork.

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

This is what I've used in my two tournaments over the past month. Went 4-1 in the first and 3-1-1 in the second. Sadly I think the new battlescroll, which they just released, stops you taking hand of gork with an arcane tome warchanter is pretty a large nerf. Not sure how I'd get access to hand of gork anymore because the weirdnob is just awful and all the hero slots are mandatory at this point.

I think swapping Gordrakk for a standard MK and the 5 brutes for 2 units of ardboys is probably the correct choice, especially now that third artefact is available to put a wardsave on them. I'm really using him mainly because it means I have both the Fist of Gork and the Mouth of Mork.

You can still take arcane tome warchanter.
They stopped you from taking it on Wizards, not non-wizards.
Which seems backwards because in my experience most people were taking it on non-wizards to skip wizard taxes.

• 4 weeks later...

So played at the warhammerfest AoS 8 game tournament last weeked. Same list just swapped the arcane tome for a tuskhelm on the get em beat wc. Finished 11th with a 3 major wins, a minor win, a draw and 3 losses. Of the losses only the one against lumineth was completely unwinnable, they remain a hard counter. 

Gordrakk continued to out perform my expectations. The fact you can CA the bonesplitterz/kruelboyz is a really nice tool to have and the flat extra damage has been key at some points.

Gobsprakk remains mvp, the level of utility and threat he grants is insane. Ward stripping, reducing attacks, he killed 2 heroes and contributed to 2/3 more. Not to mention the number of spells my opponents would just decide to not risk casting.

The army is so tech heavy it's unreal and makes it really complicated to play. That said outside of a few specific matchups it can beat top teir armies.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Malakree said:

So played at the warhammerfest AoS 8 game tournament last weeked. Same list just swapped the arcane tome for a tuskhelm on the get em beat wc. Finished 11th with a 3 major wins, a minor win, a draw and 3 losses. Of the losses only the one against lumineth was completely unwinnable, they remain a hard counter. 

Gordrakk continued to out perform my expectations. The fact you can CA the bonesplitterz/kruelboyz is a really nice tool to have and the flat extra damage has been key at some points.

Gobsprakk remains mvp, the level of utility and threat he grants is insane. Ward stripping, reducing attacks, he killed 2 heroes and contributed to 2/3 more. Not to mention the number of spells my opponents would just decide to not risk casting.

The army is so tech heavy it's unreal and makes it really complicated to play. That said outside of a few specific matchups it can beat top teir armies.

Nicely done!

One question. What does CA stand for?

• 2 months later...

This new season is looking really good for big waaagh!

• 2 new battle tactics, both of which are easier to complete in BW than in their respective factions
    • The less kruleboyz units you have the easier the KB one is
    • Ironjawz favor fast units which will blow past the center of the board but BW tends to run things like 'ardboyz
    • This gives us like 3-4 super easy tactics
  • Seasonal rules favor weak-average casters over magic doms, and will let us force out important spells like hand of gork
  • Gobsprakk is down points, and primal dice can be used to trigger his d6 mortals on unbinds of 10+, He'll be fantastic in BW
  • Maniak Wierdnob + Fast 'un + Merciless Blizzard is like a mobile version of the wurgogg death stare for less points. We can even teleport him then use fast 'un, so pretty much nowhere is safe from him
  • Coherency change is great for pigs
  • We have plenty of units which love hoarfrost, anything bonesplitterz, as well as 'ardboyz
  • Master of Magic doesn't work with primal dice, but touched by the Waaagh! does
  • Return of anti-shooting from last season for our warchanters and wizards
  • Like 1