The Future of Battletomes

Gitzdee

I love battletomes with everything in. If I've got games coming up, I'll routinely re-read the tome from a different strategic perspective to try and spot things I haven't seen before. Having the physical copy is much, much better for doing this than an app. Sometimes I even pencil in notes on the scrolls. I've done this when they've had updates, or when I've wanted to leave a tactical note to myself for that particular warscroll. The physical battletome is as much a part of my army as the models - it's a playbook. I still physically write my lists too rather than using apps. Sure it takes longer, but when you've physically written your own list, from your own notes, with your battletome in hand, you end up with a much, much better understanding of your army. I think the physical element of battletomes can potentially make you a much better player than glossing over an app. Then again, I could just be out of touch with you crazy kids and your new fangled technology. 

Famous Thinking Quote By Arthur Schopenhauer | GP

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dolomedes said:

I love battletomes with everything in. If I've got games coming up, I'll routinely re-read the tome from a different strategic perspective to try and spot things I haven't seen before. Having the physical copy is much, much better for doing this than an app. Sometimes I even pencil in notes on the scrolls. I've done this when they've had updates, or when I've wanted to leave a tactical note to myself for that particular warscroll. The physical battletome is as much a part of my army as the models - it's a playbook. I still physically write my lists too rather than using apps. Sure it takes longer, but when you've physically written your own list, from your own notes, with your battletome in hand, you end up with a much, much better understanding of your army. I think the physical element of battletomes can potentially make you a much better player than glossing over an app. Then again, I could just be out of touch with you crazy kids and your new fangled technology.

I really agree with this and the similar perspective that @RuneBrush laid out previously in this thread. Part of the draw of tabletop games over computer strategy games for me is the tactile, in-person aspect. Because of this, I also value having a physical battletome for my armies.

But I only care about this very strongly when it concerns armies I am really invested in. When it comes to books that I really only want for their utility value, such as the battletomes of armies I don't play, add-on books like Broken Realms or annualized rule books like the GHB, I would prefer the option to get just their rules components for cheap, even if that means losing out on the tactile, analogue aspect that I value in other parts of the hobby.

• Like 2

I do like the physical aspect of this hobby aswell after a day of working behind a computer. But the problem for me is missing out on many rules. Yeah i can find them online but i dont have it all inside one battletome that i can brind to the table. Like with the broken realms rules or white dwarf releases i dont have access to the newer gloomspite gitz and nighthaunt rules within the battletome.  

Edited by Iksdee

41 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

I do like the physical aspect of this hobby aswell after a day of working behind a computer. But the problem for me is missing out on many rules. Yeah i can find them online but i dont have it all inside one battletome that i can brind to the table. Like with the broken realms rules or white dwarf releases i dont have access to the newer gloomspite gitz and nighthaunt rules within the battletome.  

Pencils are your friend. There's usually space to update a warscroll if you've come across an update. I write the updated points in my tome too. The trouble I find is allegiance stuff - there's usually a lack of space on those pages. Of course the other issue is not wanting to get scribbles all over your fancy battletome. Then again, we get paint all over our expensive models, why not apply the same principle to your tome? As I mentioned earlier too, if you write down a scroll update yourself, you're much more likely to remember it.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

But I only care about this very strongly when it concerns armies I am really invested in. When it comes to books that I really only want for their utility value, such as the battletomes of armies I don't play, add-on books like Broken Realms or annualized rule books like the GHB, I would prefer the option to get just their rules components for cheap, even if that means losing out on the tactile, analogue aspect that I value in other parts of the hobby.

I've bought a couple of the add on books in my time, and I usually find them to be a good investment. Sure you can just get the rules online, but sitting down and reading the books themselves too is usually worth it. The battleplans are often worth playing too if you've got a regular gaming buddy and you want to switch up from the GHB. Some of my best games have been when me and my buddy were playing through the Realmgate wars books each week.

With shipping prices rising and tomes going up in price though, we'll have to see what happens with these add on books. £25 for one is a good buy, if you intend to actually read it, use updated rules, and play a couple of the battleplans. If things get much higher than £30 though, I'm not so sure, and realistically I just wouldn't get the same enjoyment from them as an app as I would from the book itself.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:41 PM, RuneBrush said:

I think some of the reason they've gone this route is related to piracy where pretty much every full digital publication they've released has ended up being pilfered within hours of it being released.

So has every physical publication. GW literally cannot make a book impossible to copy without also making it impossible for their paying consumers to read.

And in this pursuit, GW give up every advantage and convenience of digital publishing: fully indexed and searchable text, hyperlinked references, portability, etc.

Most other games companies have settled on the modern solution of providing digital rules for free. Yes, it costs them some money to do so, but it's a loss leader; providing free rules dramatically lowers the barrier to entry, and they make their money on sales of miniatures, which are (currently) much harder to copy.

• Like 8

On 9/7/2021 at 3:04 AM, Iksdee said:

With the changes happening with the app and warhammer+ what do u all think about the future of battletomes?

I think battletomes are an outdated concept as a whole.

If they would put all army rules and warscrolls in the app for all who like to play games. They could have an app with rules/armybuilder and interface to keep track of things needed for your battle. With an option to print those.

Then do a separate release for the books with just the lore and art and fluff for the people who are into that. I think all would be happy. They could also do broken realms style books without rules to showcase new lore and models.

Could be that they are moving towards that kind of thing now but they really need to upgrade the apps to another level. 

Sure.  But does every 11 year old have a smart phone with this ability (before you say it's an expensive hobby or everyone has a smart phone, keep in mind some new kids find their dad's old collection and they are looking for a way to explore the game as new players)?  I'm guessing they are outdated for most but not everyone.  

Personally GW has a pretty abysmal track record digitally (i've never been able to restore purchases and they ignore my emails asking for assistance).  Sure everyone gets a bloody nose through the door but,.. by now they could have leveraged some of that "bigger than google in the UK" cashola and made things better.  I fear they operated on a level like say, Ford or Gibson or some other massive entity where mgts sole role is meetings O_o and are not able to truly adapt and shift as fast as they need to.

It is a weird situation as they are trying to spread across and support a wide variety of means and situations that not everyone sees.

Im all for books if thats what people want but they are a bit of a liability to me tbh, pricy, heavy and need to be stored in my limited space. Though i suspect ive just been burned out over the years by barely used books going obsolete or in the case of Age of Darkness, an absolute excess of book being needed for too long.

So yeah, i prefer an ebook on my PC, or an app in a pinch, but it needs to work on my PC too or its basically worthless, which the 40k app does not. And then ill pick up cards or make my own references if its easier/more cost effective.

But GW does not want the ebook money, their cutting off that revenue stream delayed the pirates for whole days im informed. Good call GW, good call. I would rather pay GW (reasonably) for good digital products but if they wont offer them there are plenty of other options. *shrug* 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Sure.  But does every 11 year old have a smart phone with this ability (before you say it's an expensive hobby or everyone has a smart phone, keep in mind some new kids find their dad's old collection and they are looking for a way to explore the game as new players)?  I'm guessing they are outdated for most but not everyone.  

To be honest i have seen 11 year olds with a better smart phone than i have. I get your stance on this but they are already putting things behind a digital paywall and that doesnt strike me as childfriendly either. I cant see many parents giving their children a subscription to warhammer+. 
I dont really support the way things are shaping up to be now digitally but it might open some doors for future content.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 4:56 PM, EccentricCircle said:

I'd still want a nice hardback lore and art book though, and disagree with those who claim that is bad for the environment. The embodied energy of the internet, the tablet or phone you read the pdf on and the digital infrastructure supporting it all is collosal, so don't kid yourself that you are saving trees.

That's a really good point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Iksdee said:

To be honest i have seen 11 year olds with a better smart phone than i have. I get your stance on this but they are already putting things behind a digital paywall and that doesnt strike me as childfriendly either. I cant see many parents giving their children a subscription to warhammer+. 
I dont really support the way things are shaping up to be now digitally but it might open some doors for future content.

Sure, just thinking of my nephew.  I mean my phone is always old and outdated and mostly I buy a battletome for the army i play and games I play the most.  

at least it's clear we all struggle with how GW is addressing this let alone people seeing it from different sides :)